Auto Stop Feature

keberryman17

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
What are everyone's thought of the Auto Stop feature on the JL (Pages 330-332 of Owner's Manual).
Sponsored

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"18 JLUR Punk'n, '11 JKU Mango tango, '17 JKU Granite crystal, 98 XJ plow jeep
Vehicle Showcase
As in ESS start/stop system? I dont like the thought of it but ive never used it so i"ll reserve judgement til i've actually driven a JL with that feature. I've always loved the feel of the engine running while I'm waiting to use it. Esp in a manual.

OP
OP
keberryman17

keberryman17

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
As in ESS start/stop system? I dont like the thought of it but ive never used it so i"ll reserve judgement til i've actually driven a JL with that feature. I've always loved the feel of the engine running while I'm waiting to use it. Esp in a manual.
Yes. I have been a passenger in a car equipped with this feature and did not like it at all. The manual says it can be turned off but must be turned off every time the vehicle is started.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Never had an issue with ESS and turning it off doesn't mean the engine or components will last an extra 100k miles. However I haven't drove a JL so until that happens I cannot say if I will use it or not.

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I have been a passenger in a car equipped with this feature and did not like it at all. The manual says it can be turned off but must be turned off every time the vehicle is started.
If you didnt like it as a passenger I cant see you liking it as a driver? Guess i'll be hitting the ESS off switch each time I drive it lol. I wonder what the response time is to restart the engine is? Surely the aftermarket will develop a tuner to turn it off permanently for those who dont like it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
keberryman17

keberryman17

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
If you didnt like it as a passenger I cant see you liking it as a driver? Guess i'll be hitting the ESS off switch each time I drive it lol. I wonder what the response time is to restart the engine is? Surely the aftermarket will develop a tuner to turn it off permanently for those who dont like it?
I found that the Cherokee ESS response time is under 0.3 seconds. We can only hope for an aftermarket tuner.

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I found that the Cherokee ESS response time is under 0.3 seconds. We can only hope for an aftermarket tuner.
That sounds pretty quick but i"m sure you can feel that in the pedal? Still prefer a manual tranny...just saying.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
What are everyone's thought of the Auto Stop feature on the JL (Pages 330-332 of Owner's Manual).
I'v had several modern cars with it and it can be annoying when you come to a brief stop to turn in to a road and then the engine dies. Also annoying when you're driving in to a tight space on the brakes because the engine keeps shutting off and it jumps forward when it starts again... making things dangerous in unusual and tight spots.

Still it's a good feature to have if you get to turn the engine on and off (while keeping the aux running and everything else powered). You always know better than the vehicle about how long you'll stay stopped in traffic.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
If you can, please keep us posted on how to do this. It's a potentially dangerous feature off road if one forgets to shut it off. Thanks
It defaults to off by design in 4lo.

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Yep. Now to default to off all the time.
I know it can be turned off. I just haven't wanted to do it to a vehicle that isn't mine. We just don't know what will happen or how long it will stay without throwing a error code. Unfortunately if you wait on me, it is going to be a few months. If anyone that happens to know a Jeep tech and has their Jeep, ask them. They may not know though, my guy is pretty damn good and the smartest work around guy I have ever met.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry this may have been covered already, my phone is not letting me view all posts for some reason. There was an official video out there (TFL guys maybe?) said it has to be turned off each and every time you start the vehicle. Aftermarket programmers may counter this, but so far from what I personally know (could be rumor) Jeep has designed the Uconnect system to be so integrated to the computer that normal flashing might be a problem (i.e. Flashpaqs and the likes). I am sure eventually that will be worked around but for now there is some firewall in place blocking programmers (again might be rumor but ive heard from multiple sources, 1 of which is a master mechanic for chrysler).

txroamer

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Wrangler (sold to nephew), 2018 JLUR, 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2018 Charger ScatPack 392, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Road Glide
Vehicle Showcase
There are numerous conditions under which the auto start stop will not activate. See page 325 of the owner’s manual. I thought i’d Hate it in my F150, but you get pretty used to shutting it off if that’s the state you want it to be in. I still haven’t gotten used to the engine shutting off, so I turn it off every time. 2nd nature by now.
Sponsored