Sponsored

Anybody else hyped about the Uconnect-5 update this spring?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Same here on my 8.4 in my 2021. Knock on wood.
My backup lines stop working every two days. But so far, that's it.

The Uconnect 5 system looks like it's actually modern. If they do put it in JLs, I think it would probably require at least the 10.1 inch screen. I've not seen any manufacturer go smaller than that on their next gen systems.

I suspect it would involve a new camera system, new dash, possible AC vent changes, crazy wiring harness upgrades, etc., requiring an interior teardown and a dealer willing to flash something.

Might be easier to trade. :)
Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Ford head units in general haven't been anything to write home about. The Bronco may have a larger screen, but Ford Sync is still trash.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening. In fact, I see it being even less likely with the current chip shortage situation.

That's a good point, but it's probably a lot easier to drop a 392 into the Wrangler than it is to develop new technology and software for it.
I think the Bronco is using Sync 4, like in the Mach-e. It even has the ability to record like a dash cam with driving stat overlays.

It's a whole century above Uconnect 4 and Sync 3. I think Ford is making it a standard feature.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Ford head units in general haven't been anything to write home about. The Bronco may have a larger screen, but Ford Sync is still trash.
I had Sync 3 in my Mustang and it did pretty much everything the Uconnect system does. Never had any issues with it either.

Sync 4 is a whole different ballgame though.

The Tesla system still shames them all.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
My backup lines stop working every two days. But so far, that's it.

The Uconnect 5 system looks like it's actually modern. If they do put it in JLs, I think it would probably require at least the 10.1 inch screen. I've not seen any manufacturer go smaller than that on their next gen systems.

I suspect it would involve a new camera system, new dash, possible AC vent changes, crazy wiring harness upgrades, etc., requiring an interior teardown and a dealer willing to flash something.

Might be easier to trade. :)
With the Bronco having an 8 inch standard, I'd wager the two smaller UConnect units will die when they do a refresh and they'll add a bigger screen above the 8.4. Maybe the unit that comes in the Ram, although that thing is pretty gigantic.

You would hope it would have the new software (which looks nice), but who knows?

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
So we should know in the next few weeks if it’s coming to the wrangler line up. I just don’t want to buy a car in 2022 with uConnect 4, which has already been phased out of all other FCA new vehicles. Oh well, we will see versus soon. It is a Jeep after all.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
So we should know in the next few weeks if it’s coming to the wrangler line up. I just don’t want to buy a car in 2022 with uConnect 4, which has already been phased out of all other FCA new vehicles. Oh well, we will see versus soon. It is a Jeep after all.
It was one of my hesitations in getting the '21 4xe.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
It was one of my hesitations in getting the '21 4xe.
I wanted to wait for the Uconnect 5 myself but I wasnt sure if it would be here for '22 and I didn't want to lose Gecko, so I went ahead and ordered.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I'm curious as to what exactly the advantages are that everyone is looking forward to with the new system?

5x speed sounds impressive, but what does that really offer besides loading the slow-as-molasses Off-Road Pages more quickly? Everything else seems fast enough to me.

And why would the HVAC system need to change for upgraded head units? Personally, I wish that air recirculation on every automobile today had a manual override for the solenoid. Sometimes I'll see a smushed skunk, or a billow of blue smoke ahead, and wish that I could still just slam the vents closed. Weird JL venting problems notwithstanding.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I'm curious as to what exactly the advantages are that everyone is looking forward to with the new system?

5x speed sounds impressive, but what does that really offer besides loading the slow-as-molasses Off-Road Pages more quickly? Everything else seems fast enough to me.

And why would the HVAC system need to change for upgraded head units? Personally, I wish that air recirculation on every automobile today had a manual override for the solenoid. Sometimes I'll see a smushed skunk, or a billow of blue smoke ahead, and wish that I could still just slam the vents closed. Weird JL venting problems notwithstanding.
It’s just newer. Will get support longer. uConnect 4 is dead.

Better mapping GUI. Closer to mobile devices. Two iPhone can wirelessly connect to CarPlay at the same time. 360 camera. Multiple user profiles. Augmented turn by turn soon. Over the air app downloads and updates instantly. Android based so longer supported. Availability of autonomous driving 2 features. Few other things.

If you don’t care for tech much in your wrangler than it really doesn’t matter.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
It’s just newer. Will get support longer. uConnect 4 is dead.

Better mapping GUI. Closer to mobile devices. Two iPhone can wirelessly connect to CarPlay at the same time. 360 camera. Multiple user profiles. Augmented turn by turn soon. Over the air app downloads and updates instantly. Android based so longer supported. Availability of autonomous driving 2 features. Few other things.

If you don’t care for tech much in your wrangler than it really doesn’t matter.
I love and care about technology in general. I'd think that most anyone that drives a Wrangler must at least appreciate its "unique" combination of technology at some level.

By "Better mapping GUI", do you mean gestures and multi-input? I was already pleasantly surprised that I could pinch/expand/drag, and two-finger tilt the map. But making that smoother, and those other things seem like incremental improvements.

I'd kind of like to see a lane-keeping assist (try to) deal with Death-wobble though. Um, on video, not in person.

You mean to say that Android will no longer be supported? That sounds crazy.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I love and care about technology in general. I'd think that most anyone that drives a Wrangler must at least appreciate its "unique" combination of technology at some level.

By "Better mapping GUI", do you mean gestures and multi-input? I was already pleasantly surprised that I could pinch/expand/drag, and two-finger tilt the map. But making that smoother, and those other things seem like incremental improvements.

I'd kind of like to see a lane-keeping assist (try to) deal with Death-wobble though. Um, on video, not in person.

You mean to say that Android will no longer be supported? That sounds crazy.
No uConnect 5 is written on Android. Thus it could infinitely be supported for ages. Trust me. The differences are quite noticeable. I don’t hate uConnect 4, but I would prefer to buy a 2022 with uConnect 5.
Sponsored