Sponsored

Any 2 door regrets?

Deleted member 59098

I’ve had kids and adults in the back for long trips and they all say it’s fine. Cargo is a definite issue. Some solution on the roof is necessary. I use an ancient ski box. I think you need to be somewhat of a minimalist with the 2 door and family. Definitely can’t have people who bring lots of crap with them. Probably the JL is the anti-overlanding overlander. You’re not going to bring a full restaurant and a bunch of burning man camping luxuries with you. Think backpacking/bicycle touring style camping setups. One pro tip is to try and keep vehicles small as the family grows up. We’ve managed a family of four with VW Golfs mostly. Had a WK2 when we inherited a dog until he passed. We keep our old ZJ around for hauling big stuff locally, but still take the little cars on road trips. Yes, I’m 100% born and raised in America and this is absolutely not an inconvenience.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Bought my first 4 door this year after owning only 2-door versions for 25 years. It had nothing to do with cargo space or wheelbase. If you want anything other than one of the 2 standard engines, you're forced into a 4-door. The 4xe, 392 and diesel powerplants only come in a 4-door. That said, the 4-door doesn't feel that much bigger than the 2-door.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Considered a 2-door (that truly is classic "Jeep"), but I do cowboy action shooting and needed the space to haul gear so 4-door it was. Plus the rear roll bar section looks more cool on the 4-door :sun:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I have had both a 2 door and a 4 door. I like them both. The 4 door has some advantages over the 2 door, but the 2 door has some advantages over the 4 door on the trail. I do like the additional room of the 4 door, but my 2 door was amazing on Black Bear Pass, and it looks more like the traditional Jeep.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Thinking about pulling a trigger on a new Wrangler. I've always wanted one.

I know the 2 vs 4 door debate is all about personal needs with no wrong choices.

I just love the way the 2 doors look, it's a classic jeep, but I've never owned a 2 door car before.

Has livable is it for every day use? Is it easy for kids to get to the rear seats?
Do you regret not get the 4 door for the extra space?

We have a family-friendly car that we use for longer trips but would need the jeep to be practical enough for school drop-off and grocery store runs on daily basis.
No regrets. The 2 door JL in Rubicon guise is the perfect "chick" magnet. With the triple-ply sailcloth soft top in "Spice". The 2 door always has and always will starting with my 97 TJ Sport in Moss Green Pearl Coat. The 4 door is for those with kids.

Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
From someone that had a 2dr for 7+ years and going to a two door. I will just say that if I didn't have kids. I would have a two-door and remove the rear seat for the dog like I did in my JK.

TheGrendel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Recon
I sold my 2 door JK Rubi when I got my 4 door. I've always regretted that decision.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The two-door has plenty of room for two people and all the gear I need to haul. My g/f and I have a multi-day camping trip planned. We'll fold the rear seat forward, or take it out, and have plenty of room for all of our gear.

It really depends of course. I've only had my two-door for a month or more, but I've never had someone in the rear seat. I had a two-door TJ for several years and could probably count on one hand how often someone sat in the rear. I needed it so infrequently I took the rear seat out altogether.

So, I look at it like this, out of 1000 days I'll probably have someone in the back seat once. That's one-tenth of one percent. I would never buy something based on needing it one-tenth of one percent of the time.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
No regrets, the 2 door is so much fun and not entirely impractical.
We have a WK2 and KL TH for days we want more practicality but the 2 door is way more fun, far more manoeuvrable- it will literally run rings around the KL.

When the land border finally reopens we’ll point the JLR at the PCH with the rear seat removed and the military case to keep our luggage away from grabby hands.

E7EB315F-DBA5-4FA4-A111-32D3A21D752D.jpeg

73C69556-9D5A-4892-8AFF-0819AD8FAD6B.jpeg

B079774F-E82E-4A1B-9573-B6C4FAFFAAAF.jpeg

3A3F59BE-EE4A-4529-902B-8522784E7526.jpeg

Sponsored

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
Thinking about pulling a trigger on a new Wrangler. I've always wanted one.

I know the 2 vs 4 door debate is all about personal needs with no wrong choices.

I just love the way the 2 doors look, it's a classic jeep, but I've never owned a 2 door car before.

Has livable is it for every day use? Is it easy for kids to get to the rear seats?

We have a family-friendly car that we use for longer trips but would need the jeep to be practical enough for school drop-off and grocery store runs on daily basis.
I want to start by saying that we don’t have any kids, but we both have big families. My wife also drives a spacious RAV4. I originally bought a 2018 2-door JL thinking that it would be fine and quickly realized that while I love the look of the 2 doors they’re just not practical. I had an old tj in the past as a teenager and loved it but having one as an adult just was a PITA. I had it for a little over a year before I traded in for a 4-door. Everyone’s situation is different but personally I don’t think I could ever go back to a 2-door.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher

I got my 2-door JL in July of 2019. Did the school drop-off every day from September 2019 until the world shut down in March of 2020. At the time, I had one in high school, and one in middle school. So, the high-schooler sat up front - when he got out by his school, my daughter hopped in front, and then got out by her school. It was super easy.

If you're someone who's in the store frequently during the week, then fitting a few bags of groceries in the back of a 2-door is easy, even with kids in the rear seat. I've even done "big shopping" by myself - cases of bottled water fit perfectly behind the back seat, then you can stack other grocery bags on top of them. Throw the large bundle of paper towels and toilet paper on the back seat. Meat, fruit, and other cold stuff up on the front seat near the AC vents, and you're good to go.

And as mentioned, it's a great commuter, especially if you have to park on tight city streets. That's where the 2-door is really convenient. I've been able to park in spots I could never dream of getting my old Charger into LOL.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Strange that in the 3 pages and 43 posts no one has mentioned the pros and cons of 2 door capability on the trail.

I do understand the OP was not asking for that purpose but geez, I cannot see why most owners would get a Jeep for anything other than it's off highway capability.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Maybe that goes without saying?
Sponsored