Any regrets with your JLU purchase?

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
howdy y'all.... with the pending sale of my Explorer I am inches away from putting in my order.

went back and forth between the JT and a JLU.....now I'm 85% sure I'm going JLU

Like the Willys, but now I'm just gonna try and stretch the budget and get a Rubi....Just feel I will have regrets if I don't spend the extra $4-5K to get the best available JLU you can get...I'm a total noob who is more comfortable on the race track than out on the trails, but figure I will probably be addicted pretty quick and might as well have the most capable JLU you can get from the factory

Don't need much more than that...but my must haves are

String Gray

hard top

color matched fenders

tow package

Leather

cold weather package

figure I could save money and just do after market LED's

debating if the Alpine is worth it

debating 2.0 vs V6..... I tow a couple sea doos and just worried about the turbo in the hot days of summer out at the river

anybody have any regrets on options you wish you added or wish you went without or a model you wish you would have went with ???
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@SoCal
Go here for the existing conversation.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you are mechanically inclined and work on your own vehicles, like to modify them, etc., I think you'll enjoy a JLU.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
wish I bought roof racks instead of the trail rail cargo package

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
if you’re doing a factory order, I’d throw in an engine block heater. For $100 it’s a no brainer, can’t really add it after the fact and they’re really hard to find equipped this way.

saves a good bit of wear and tear on cold starts

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The Alpine is worth it, the uConnect 8.4 isn't worth it though, especially if you have a smartphone.

I have the 8.4 and only use the USB for music and Bluetooth for phone calls, navigation is always done using Waze.

I think the most basic uConnect is capable of USB and Bluetooth, and that is all you really need.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
The Alpine for the cost is definitely worth it. It gets me bobbing my head and tapping on the steering wheel with my thumb like nobody's business!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine with every option except the smokers package. I never thought I’d tow and I’ve towed about 10 times already. If you decide to sell it’ll be so much easier with options.
Just curious you mentioned the cold weather package. Does it get that cold in SoCal?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCal

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got mine with every option except the smokers package. I never thought I’d tow and I’ve towed about 10 times already. If you decide to sell it’ll be so much easier with options.
Just curious you mentioned the cold weather package. Does it get that cold in SoCal?
about three months of cold nights so not really necessary but I do enjoy the heated seats in my other cars and you can’t get remote start without it also...
I could live without, but I’d rather have it...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My Sahara came well equipped --i.e., V6, Auto, Selec-Trac, LSD, color-matched hardtop, Cold Weather Group, Safety Group, Towing Group, 8.4" & Alpine Sound, Proximity door locks-- but was missing leather and LEDs. I added those two things after-the-fact; it now has everything I wanted on it.

I agree with statements above: getting the LEDs from the factory is the best deal; it includes the headlamps, foglamps and turn signals. Adding leather after the fact is relatively easy.

Good luck.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I wish I had the dual door group and the hemi.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Skip your plan for aftermarket LED’s and get the factory installed LED package. You’ll save yourself from potential electrical issues
Having been ignorant of the LED/Halogen option, I ended up with a halogen equipped JLUR. I drove 100 miles at night from the dealer. ...wishing I'd had better lights.

After exploring all the retrofit options for nearly 2 years, I think having the factory LEDs would have been the best option for me in southern California. It appears that only the factory fixtures have aiming adjustment capability without disassembling something (most aftermarket light fixtures require removing the grill) on the vehicle.

I am currently running the Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0 LED bulbs in the factory halogen housing. While the road lighting is spectacular, I worry that there may be glare from an improporly controlled beam. But it does look very good when projected on a wall. Factory LEDs would have eliminated my long search for good headlights.

As for the tail lights, my JLUR came with LED tail lights.

To me, I find that modern sharp cutoff headlights have supplanted the usefulness of actual fog lights. So, I have installed extreme high powered driving lights in their location and find them useful in certain isolated driving conditions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoCal

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Alpine is worth it, the uConnect 8.4 isn't worth it though, especially if you have a smartphone.

I have the 8.4 and only use the USB for music and Bluetooth for phone calls, navigation is always done using Waze.

I think the most basic uConnect is capable of USB and Bluetooth, and that is all you really need.

Jeep does some weird stuff with their options....They have the Alpine system as a stand alone option for $1295, but you can't get it without getting the 8.4 package which is $1995 then it is included. Don't know why they offer it as a stand alone option when it isn't??? I have added it to my build....going to local dealer tomorrow and hopefully compare it to see if it is worth the $2k to me
Sponsored