Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
The 8 speed auto is one of the strongest points of the JL IMO. The only time I don’t like it when going down hill in 4low. It searched for gears way too often and I find myself switching to manual shifting. It does a better job in 4high. On road driving is perfect.

mawz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Sahara
Occupation
IT Manager
I was a die hard manual guy up until buying my Forester 6MT back in 2015. Now I probably would have hated the CVT with that anemic 2.5NA engine (although X-Mode would have been nice), but almost 7 years of Toronto traffic with a 6MT and my knees mostly cured me of that.

The wheezing hamster engine on backroad hills wasn't fun either, it was hard to keep in the power band when climbing at all (although the Fozzie was a hoot in the twisties). I happily went to an 8 speed auto in 2021 when I bought my Silverado and the 2.0T and ZF Auto was a must have for me on my new Sahara and I'm very happy with it, it's decidedly better than the already decent 8 speed my 2017 Silverado had.

Only real regret all-round is not buying a JLU in 2021, the Silverado didn't really work out.

If I ever get a TJ as a fun vehicle, I'll probably get a stick though. Still like driving them when I'm not in traffic and the ratios are better thought out that an SJ's 6MT.

FNFTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I felt exactly the same way (took delivery three days ago). I NEEDED manual, and I remember saying to my wife before buying it that I loved the Jeep but my only regret is that it did not have manual transmission. Queue to today and wow -- I love it. Now I am so glad that I got it. I mean, I live in a very stop-and-go city, so there's that, but the 2.0 4-banger is just straight-up fun.

Die-hard manual guy -- been doing it since 1988, but in 2023, I've gone to the dark side! ;)

Sponsored

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
I have been depressing a clutch pedal for over 30 years. It was time to put my left leg out to pasture.

Love the auto
This, I stopped rowing for gears last year year after shifting for 55 years. Last manual a 335i.

The 6 spd JK compared to manual was deciding factor back in 2013, with the 8 speed, no question at all.

There is not a totally manual vehicle on the planet that can outshift an auto these days.

Mest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, 2010 JKUR
I ordered both. 2023 JLUR with manual & 4.88 gears & a 2023 392. Also own a 2010 JKUR (manual) & 2005 TJ (also manual).

Even though I thought I’d love it.. I ended up quickly selling the 2023 JLUR with the manual. The gear ratios really bugged me along with the overall feel & experience driving it.

The 392 is hands down the way to go if the budget fits. Words don’t do it justice, most fun I’ve ever had driving a jeep…period! I thought I’d miss a manual when I ordered it but The auto is really good and combined with the hemi I actually prefer driving it over all the others. I don’t miss the manual when driving the 392 at all (even though I do miss it when driving other vehicles sometimes)

my favorite manual is actually the TJ. Combined with that 4.0 it’s much better than my 2010 with the 3.8.

the two I’m keeping are the TJ & the 392. I think I’mdone buying Jeeps for a good long time! I know it’s lol personal experience and preference….but Hope this helps!

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2023 JT
I didn't read though all the pages of this thread but I, personally, went in looking for a manual (JT) and was sure I wouldn't get anything else, but I did not like it. The 3.6 doesn't have the torque for a manual. I felt like I had to downshift too much or run in too low of a gear too much of the time. The automatic shifts nearly seamlessly and makes the 3.6 feel like it has more power. Plus I don't like the position of the shifter (I have to reach for it, which is okay for P to D but not for continual shifting) or the soft and odd feel of the clutch, and the towing capacity (for a JT) is much higher with the auto. I felt like the manual was a second thought, kept around only because it is a Jeep and there are those who would never get an automatic.

Sgt Pickles

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Very happy with the automatic. Shifted gear for a long time. It’s nice to just get in and not think.

Sponsored

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
2-dr, 3.6L/8-spd, 4.56, 3" lift, 34" tires...
Absolute kick in the pants! Love it! 👍

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...I, personally, went in looking for a manual (JT) and was sure I wouldn't get anything else, but I did not like it.

I don't like the position of the shifter (I have to reach for it, which is okay for P to D but not for continual shifting) or the soft and odd feel of the clutch...
My exact sentiments when I test drove a JLU with the third pedal. The doggy throttle response of the Pentastar wasn't doing any favors, either, even when paired with the otherwise superlative 850RE.

I then ordered the 2.0T sight- and test-drive unseen. The wisdom of my choice is validated every time I drive the vehicle. 👍

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
My first Jeep with an auto (since the mid 60’s) since it wasn’t an option for me. Only my second for a DD. During last winter’s floods I took my old manual PU to get sandbags. Flooded roads, detours, stop and crawl, bumper to bumper. A wore out knee-jerk reminder. Glad I didn’t have the option I likely would have taken for a DD.
Sponsored