Adjustable control arm clunk

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I have a set of rough country adjustable lower front control arms that have zurks and one seems to be moving. I’m not sure if it’s just doing it because I need more grease. The bolts are tight. Probably 4k miles since grease. Is that normal?
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What exactly is moving? The bushing, bolt, the zerk fitting?

If the zerk is moving, you can tighten it.

Otherwise, if the control arm is moving, then one or more of the bushings is bad. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for when it comes to Jeep parts (and most everything else). Rough Country is not a company known to sell high quality parts. If it were me, I'd throw them in the trash and buy quality control arms from Rock Krawler, Metalcloak, Clayton, or Rock Jock.

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
Core4x4 makes some great ones! And in different colors too. If you get the highest one you get metal Johnny joints. They don’t go bad, just keep them greased but can be a bit noisy(creaks a bit if not driven for a few days)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a set of rough country adjustable lower front control arms that have zurks and one seems to be moving. I’m not sure if it’s just doing it because I need more grease. The bolts are tight. Probably 4k miles since grease. Is that normal?
Control arms shouldn’t move at all laterally, grease won’t tighten them up either…sounds like it’s time to hit up Northridge 4x4 or River City Offroad……. If you want to pay extra, tell them I sent you……. :LOL:

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Control arms shouldn’t move at all laterally, grease won’t tighten them up either…sounds like it’s time to hit up Northridge 4x4 or River City Offroad……. If you want to pay extra, tell them I sent you……. :LOL:
And if you want to save money, use the forum discount code: jlwranglerforums ....;)

@kapk22, When you say one is moving, what part is moving? The shank where it is threaded into the arm, at the joint or at the bolt?

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.

If you put your Jeep into 4low and step on the brakes you can shift from forward to reverse and the pinion will wrap up and down putting force on the bushings. Have someone you trust run through reverse and drive and check out what's going on. You can watch the pinion without getting under the Jeep. You can get under there and check. Just don't get ran over and think twice if your SO is the beneficiary on your life insurance policy.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
And if you want to save money, use the forum discount code: jlwranglerforums ....;)

@kapk22, When you say one is moving, what part is moving? The shank where it is threaded into the arm, at the joint or at the bolt?
Bushing part, frame side Not the threaded part. The arms only have maybe 8k on them. Crazy. I have Clayton’s on the rear. Maybe it’s time.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
If you put your Jeep into 4low and step on the brakes you can shift from forward to reverse and the pinion will wrap up and down putting force on the bushings. Have someone you trust run through reverse and drive and check out what's going on. You can watch the pinion without getting under the Jeep. You can get under there and check. Just don't get ran over and think twice if your SO is the beneficiary on your life insurance policy.
I can move it back and fourth by hand. It only moves a tad, but it’s enough for me to hear and feel inside while driving.

I’m really surprised the bushing would fail so fast. The roads around here do suck though. And I just made the 2400 mile trip to Texas. I’m sure the 37s don’t help either.

Now I am concerned about the rough country track bars on her. I don’t have the money to replace the arms right now, so I will have to deal with the periodic clunk. It’s not bad, it’s just a little annoying.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR

Got them on Saturday. It seems like the road manners improved a bit. Might just be my mind playing tricks on me.

830DED71-A47D-43C6-929B-17C7F9314118.jpeg
Sponsored