4xe Lift Kit?

Maxx4xE

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firecracker Red 4XE Sahara
Is it true that 4XE sahara is about half an inch or an inch higher than the regular sahara? It looks like it is, but can not find any info on it. I ordered a .75 inch spacer lift and want to install 295/60/20 Terra Grappler G2's on the stock 20 inch rims, will I run into any issues?
I am going to get some Rubicon take-offs put on this week, but those are about 1.2 inches shorter than your intended size. I can update after I get mine on to get you an idea of what you may be looking at.

I was not aware of the Sahara 4Xe differing in height. We (Sahara Owners) have bigger brakes and different shocks (need to verify) due to the weight and power difference versus the standard Sahara models.
Sponsored

aspst10

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Rubicon
Very nice!!

They are the original wheels - correct? So it is possible to put 37s on the original wheel?

I'm thinking of just doing 35s, so guess that would be okay also? Any sense if 35s with regular Rubi suspension (aka no additional lift) would be okay without rubbing or any other issues.

If there's a go to thread on 35s - what fits etc. would love anyone to point me in that direction.
The wheels needed spacers to fit the 37s, not sure if 35s would be the same you would need to ask. I think you may get some rubbing in extreme conditions without a lift....

Audio4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S JLU
We had a teraflex 3.5 inch lift installed by the dealership with 37s. Looks great and is running well. But, they were unable to get the tazer to change the speedometer yet and the battery mileage definitely has taken a hit, seems like it’s down to around 15 miles now on the battery per charge. Bringing it back this next week to get the bumper and winch put on. Will update again from there

2AE49C77-5B55-4F76-9E84-6C5F4651DC2D.jpeg

88EC291C-CA34-43CD-8FF0-065182947266.jpeg
Slick set up! Are you running the Teraflex 3.5in springs then? Any bowing issues? Did the Front and rear level out correctly?

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Is it true that 4XE sahara is about half an inch or an inch higher than the regular sahara? It looks like it is, but can not find any info on it. I ordered a .75 inch spacer lift and want to install 295/60/20 Terra Grappler G2's on the stock 20 inch rims, will I run into any issues?
This is something I wish we could get verified ASAP - I honestly think this is a more important question than people realize. I had posted this in another thread.

As 4xe owners, we need to understand if we truly have additional height from the factory. If the 4xe is sitting 1" higher (which MANY people have claimed to be the case for both Saharas and Rubicons [a couple people said they measured at the dealership between jeeps sitting on the lot]), AND if the 4xe for all other major suspension components uses the same parts as a regular JLU (control arms, trackbar, etc), then we need to factor this factory height different in to our lifts especially when doing spacers (which is what we have to use right now).

When you're talking about certain thresholds - like "if you go 3.5" or higher of lift, you need to add...this or that..." - and when a 2.5" spacer lift really becomes a 3.5" lift, we need to (IMHO) be aware of this. Additionally, if we can put a 1.5" spacer in and get 2.5" of net lift over a normal JL, that's important to know, too.

I can TOTALLY see Jeep putting higher springs in the 4xe - to support the additional weight as well as provide room for slightly more settling due to the additional weight)

I've been trying to get over to a dealership around me that has a 4xe on the lot to measure...but they keep getting sold, lol. When my 4xe comes in that is the first thing I plan to do.

Sponsored

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I just received mine, a Rubicon.
What specific measurements do you want? Ground to fender lip?
Exact center of wheel to fender lip directly above. Center of wheel eliminates any tire (inflation, etc) influence. Then we can compare those results to stock rubicons on the lot :)

Do it on all four corners to be able to judge front and rear differences as well as side-to-side based on not sitting perfectly level, etc.

Also, curious if you have any driveshaft shift if the 4xe does indeed sit higher but still uses the same trackbar - does your driver side wheel/tire in front stick out father than your passenger side?

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
Exact center of wheel to fender lip directly above. Center of wheel eliminates any tire (inflation, etc) influence. Then we can compare those results to stock rubicons on the lot :)

Do it on all four corners to be able to judge front and rear differences as well as side-to-side based on not sitting perfectly level, etc.

Also, curious if you have any driveshaft shift if the 4xe does indeed sit higher but still uses the same trackbar - does your driver side wheel/tire in front stick out father than your passenger side?
These were not easy to measure without a plumb bob & right angle. Did my best using a tape measure as the plumb bob & my phone as a straight edge. I didn't run a full gage r&r (certain my repeatability is bad), but I'm probably +/- 1/8".

Vertical Measurements
Head in
LR 23&5/8"
LF 23&7/8"
RR 23&3/4"
RF 24&1/8"
Back in
LF 24&1/8"
LR 23&7/8"
RR 23&1/2"
RF 24&1/8"

The difference Rt to Lft in front seems to be basically zero. I measured twice with parking head in & back in.
(Head in)
L -1/4"
R +1/4")
(Back in)
L +3/8"
R -3/8"

Slope of the parking spot seems to make the most difference. Nothing around here is level!

20210516_095721.jpg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
This is something I wish we could get verified ASAP - I honestly think this is a more important question than people realize. I had posted this in another thread.

As 4xe owners, we need to understand if we truly have additional height from the factory. If the 4xe is sitting 1" higher (which MANY people have claimed to be the case for both Saharas and Rubicons [a couple people said they measured at the dealership between jeeps sitting on the lot]), AND if the 4xe for all other major suspension components uses the same parts as a regular JLU (control arms, trackbar, etc), then we need to factor this factory height different in to our lifts especially when doing spacers (which is what we have to use right now).

When you're talking about certain thresholds - like "if you go 3.5" or higher of lift, you need to add...this or that..." - and when a 2.5" spacer lift really becomes a 3.5" lift, we need to (IMHO) be aware of this. Additionally, if we can put a 1.5" spacer in and get 2.5" of net lift over a normal JL, that's important to know, too.

I can TOTALLY see Jeep putting higher springs in the 4xe - to support the additional weight as well as provide room for slightly more settling due to the additional weight)

I've been trying to get over to a dealership around me that has a 4xe on the lot to measure...but they keep getting sold, lol. When my 4xe comes in that is the first thing I plan to do.

A Spacer lift does NOT lift any higher than the spacer it self. The Spring and shock lifts like the MOPAR that is 2" that delivers 3" is from the springs, not the shocks or any other component. Also understand springs will settle a little. I installed the Teraflex 1.5" ST1 spacer lift which is 2" front and 1.5" rear and I got 2" front and 1.5" rear to the T. I can tell you this the Stock springs when lifted with Spacer you will experience more roll. I just upgraded to Fox 2.0 shocks which have a much higher PSI ay 3000lb compared to the roughly 2000lb of the stock shocks and it eliminated that roll. I suspect I will have less spring settle as well, at least for the short term. Picture below is a little skewed before does not include bumper or winch. I did before and after tire to flair (with bumper and winch on both)and the lift was exact

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe Lift Kit? Before after lift 1

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
A Spacer lift does NOT lift any higher than the spacer it self. The Spring and shock lifts like the MOPAR that is 2" that delivers 3" is from the springs, not the shocks or any other component. Also understand springs will settle a little. I installed the Teraflex 1.5" ST1 spacer lift which is 2" front and 1.5" rear and I got 2" front and 1.5" rear to the T. I can tell you this the Stock springs when lifted with Spacer you will experience more roll. I just upgraded to Fox 2.0 shocks which have a much higher PSI ay 3000lb compared to the roughly 2000lb of the stock shocks and it eliminated that roll. I suspect I will have less spring settle as well, at least for the short term. Picture below is a little skewed before does not include bumper or winch. I did before and after tire to flair (with bumper and winch on both)and the lift was exact

Correct. I wasn't indicating that the spacer would lift any more than the spacer does.

My point was that if a 4xe is 1" higher than a non-4xe from the factory, which is most likely because of the new springs, then the 4xe is already starting with a 1" lift to begin with - and therefore, any spacer kit designed for the JL to lift a certain height over factory height will lift that 4xe that same height (yes) but it will be 1" higher than what it was intended for a regular JL suspension geometry.

The reason I ask this is direct experience with my previous Jeep and my Ram truck. I had already had lifted springs in my Jeep that raised it 3/4" over stock. When I added spacers, I had to take that 3/4" into account, and even though my 2" spacer kit said "nothing else needed if only lifting 2"", this wasn't true and I needed a trackbar and then later needed to correct caster with arms. With my truck I added 2.5" spacers, but I had also added 1" higher springs from the off-road package I got second hand. Therefore, while my 2.5" spacer kit said "nothing else needed", this wasn't true because I was sitting 3.5" over what the suspension was designed to be at and I had to add upper control arms with better angles or I'd pop my joints.

If the 4xe is sitting 1" higher from factory because of the springs, but still uses the same trackbars, control arms, etc, then the suspension is already on it's way to being out. If you add spacers to these springs that are higher, you're adding to this - and in essence, you need to treat a 2" lift on a 4xe via spacers as a 3" lift, or a 2.5" lift as a 3.5" lift.

This wouldn't be an issue with a lift kit that used new springs instead of spacers, since you'd be replacing that part that was giving the initial 1" of lift.

Again, all this is assumptive based on the overwhelming number of people indicating their 4xe was higher than others on the lot, and assumptive that the new factory springs are what is causing it.

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe

As an add, I'm bringing this up because for instance the Teraflex "2.5" spacer kit" is actually a 3" spacer up front, and if it's true that the 4xe springs are 1" higher given the original JL geometry, then that Teraflex kit could result in 4" total lift compared to a regular JL in front. You definitely need some things added under there if that's true.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Correct. I wasn't indicating that the spacer would lift any more than the spacer does.

My point was that if a 4xe is 1" higher than a non-4xe from the factory, which is most likely because of the new springs, then the 4xe is already starting with a 1" lift to begin with - and therefore, any spacer kit designed for the JL to lift a certain height over factory height will lift that 4xe that same height (yes) but it will be 1" higher than what it was intended for a regular JL suspension geometry.

The reason I ask this is direct experience with my previous Jeep and my Ram truck. I had already had lifted springs in my Jeep that raised it 3/4" over stock. When I added spacers, I had to take that 3/4" into account, and even though my 2" spacer kit said "nothing else needed if only lifting 2"", this wasn't true and I needed a trackbar and then later needed to correct caster with arms. With my truck I added 2.5" spacers, but I had also added 1" higher springs from the off-road package I got second hand. Therefore, while my 2.5" spacer kit said "nothing else needed", this wasn't true because I was sitting 3.5" over what the suspension was designed to be at and I had to add upper control arms with better angles or I'd pop my joints.

If the 4xe is sitting 1" higher from factory because of the springs, but still uses the same trackbars, control arms, etc, then the suspension is already on it's way to being out. If you add spacers to these springs that are higher, you're adding to this - and in essence, you need to treat a 2" lift on a 4xe via spacers as a 3" lift, or a 2.5" lift as a 3.5" lift.

This wouldn't be an issue with a lift kit that used new springs instead of spacers, since you'd be replacing that part that was giving the initial 1" of lift.

Again, all this is assumptive based on the overwhelming number of people indicating their 4xe was higher than others on the lot, and assumptive that the new factory springs are what is causing it.

So look at the Mopar 2" lift includes front lower LCA springs (it is the lower LCA that adjust caster on these small lifts) and Shocks and generally delivers more than 2" (more like 3" historically) They do not require any longer shafts or Track bars for that matter (although adjustable tack bars will provide better alignment). The kit has the lower LCA that resolves castor. My point is If Mopar would have felt these added components needed, they would have included with their lift. That alone is a significant answer to your concerns as I am sure Mopar would like to sell more parts with their lifts...

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
As an add, I'm bringing this up because for instance the Teraflex "2.5" spacer kit" is actually a 3" spacer up front, and if it's true that the 4xe springs are 1" higher given the original JL geometry, then that Teraflex kit could result in 4" total lift compared to a regular JL in front. You definitely need some things added under there if that's true.
If you stay with the plastic front bumper than yes it is 3" plus and factory difference (1" if that is real only a myth so far have seen no data to prove it ) but add a steel bumper lose .5" add winch lose another .25-.5". Unless you are running 37's I would not recommend that lift as 35's would look tiny (toy like) in that lift. I lost 1" front with my aluminum bumper and winch. Larger Spare will also lower rear, then hard top vs soft top. I have a slipstream adds also adds weight. The steel bumper vs plastic on rear. There are many variable. If you are running a Stock Wrangler with base parts then yes you might get that lift but a few mods and you have lost an inch easily. How may folks are installing a 3-4" lift without adding mods that impact the stance?

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
So look at the Mopar 2" lift includes front lower LCA springs (it is the lower LCA that adjust caster on these small lifts) and Shocks and generally delivers more than 2" (more like 3" historically) They do not require any longer shafts or Track bars for that matter (although adjustable tack bars will provide better alignment). The kit has the lower LCA that resolves castor. My point is If Mopar would have felt these added components needed, they would have included with their lift. That alone is a significant answer to your concerns as I am sure Mopar would like to sell more parts with their lifts...
Thing is that I agree with what you are saying, but

I would argue that the mopar kit needs a trackbar, I know many other people do. And I'll also point out that it does come with new arms. And IIRC correctly, the suspension geometry is effected exponentially as you lift, and when you go above 2", each 1" is exponentially worse than the one before when it comes to angle changes.

My point is not that we definitely need anything or not need anything additional. My point again is that if the 4xe is higher from the factory, we need to take that into account when we add spacers. That's all. Each person can decide what they need or want to add to help correct geometry, stiffen up steering, correct to a certain caster, etc. I think it's important to understand that a "Sahara 2.5" spacer kit" put on a 4xe might actually raise it 3.5" over a regular Sahara, not the original spec'd 2.5". And I think knowing this going in is important.

And to answer your other question, I think lots of people add mild lifts up to 2.5" without adding anything else, especially spacers which is what this is all about - I'd venture to guess more people add spacer lifts and nothing else (other than tires) than ones that go with spacers and add bumpers and winches, etc - but that's just a guess. And again, I'm merely trying to make sure that this issue is known so it can be accounted for.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thing is that I agree with what you are saying, but

I would argue that the mopar kit needs a trackbar, I know many other people do. And I'll also point out that it does come with new arms. And IIRC correctly, the suspension geometry is effected exponentially as you lift, and when you go above 2", each 1" is exponentially worse than the one before when it comes to angle changes.

My point is not that we definitely need anything or not need anything additional. My point again is that if the 4xe is higher from the factory, we need to take that into account when we add spacers. That's all. Each person can decide what they need or want to add to help correct geometry, stiffen up steering, correct to a certain caster, etc. I think it's important to understand that a "Sahara 2.5" spacer kit" put on a 4xe might actually raise it 3.5" over a regular Sahara, not the original spec'd 2.5". And I think knowing this going in is important.

And to answer your other question, I think lots of people add mild lifts up to 2.5" without adding anything else, especially spacers which is what this is all about - I'd venture to guess more people add spacer lifts and nothing else (other than tires) than ones that go with spacers and add bumpers and winches, etc - but that's just a guess. And again, I'm merely trying to make sure that this issue is known so it can be accounted for.
I agree, but also remember the Teraflex kit is the exception most other 2.5" kits only have 2.5" front. And there will be settling. I have yet to see any proof the 4xe is 1" higher with all consideration, fuel on board and options and how long have springs had to settle. I can only say That Mopar does not seem concerned...

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
These were not easy to measure without a plumb bob & right angle. Did my best using a tape measure as the plumb bob & my phone as a straight edge. I didn't run a full gage r&r (certain my repeatability is bad), but I'm probably +/- 1/8".

Vertical Measurements
Head in
LR 23&5/8"
LF 23&7/8"
RR 23&3/4"
RF 24&1/8"
Back in
LF 24&1/8"
LR 23&7/8"
RR 23&1/2"
RF 24&1/8"

The difference Rt to Lft in front seems to be basically zero. I measured twice with parking head in & back in.
(Head in)
L -1/4"
R +1/4")
(Back in)
L +3/8"
R -3/8"

Slope of the parking spot seems to make the most difference. Nothing around here is level!

Did you measure to the lowest point of the black plastic just inside of the fender (the part that is slightly inside because it slopes up before it hits the outside of the fender)?
Sponsored