Sponsored

392 engine dies

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
well i figured out why my 392 engine was dying when in a steep backwards downhill slide. i had turned my seat belt chime off, but the seat belt light is still on in the cluster. so i put my seat belt back on and climbed the same hill over and over in manual and auto, it never died once. unfastened my seat belt and repeated the process, it would die. so now i am happy. i've been out playing in 6 inches of snow in ky, giving the 392 all the beans , its a beast..
Damn nannies.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
if
Seat belt not hooked up. So when I wore the seat belt it wouldn't shut off. Some kind of safety issue.
If you have the 8.4 dash module with the inclinometer in it, its possible that they have linked it to ensure that at certain angles because of possible roll over angles, its linked to seat belts clip sensors to ensure they are on for safety concerns of the occupants in case of a power roll-over. so if the belts are not clicked-in, the system shuts down power to prevent a power roll-over because its probably a lot more possible with a 392 than a V6..../grins

it could also just be the fuel cut-off for when a jeep/vehicle rolls over in an accident, maybe the angle's high enough to trigger it, not sure if you can disable it.

Just a thought

Sponsored

OP
OP

james walters

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 jeep wrangler
I have a metal cloak muffler skid plate for sale , its fits a 2021 /2022 JLU rubicon diesel and 392 also. If interested contact me [email protected]. iam gonna lift my 392 and do a muffler delete , i want need it anymore.

Samsingh

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Dealing with the same
Issue right now but I have had my seatbelt on and it still does going downhill. The starter just turns the motor over but nothing. My theory is that on a decline the fuel pump isn't getting fuel. Level it out let the fuel pump run for a few and then starts right up. Seems like the fuel pump is at the back of the tank and doesnt get enough gas when on a decline.

edit: the hill I was going down on was maybe a 12-15 degree angle (pic below of the jeep when it died) and I could hear it sputtering like it was out if gas and just died. Had 1/2 tank at the time
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 engine dies 4896C589-5280-49A4-8639-FBC610AC075C

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
Dealing with the same
Issue right now but I have had my seatbelt on and it still does going downhill. The starter just turns the motor over but nothing. My theory is that on a decline the fuel pump isn't getting fuel. Level it out let the fuel pump run for a few and then starts right up. Seems like the fuel pump is at the back of the tank and doesnt get enough gas when on a decline.

edit: the hill I was going down on was maybe a 12-15 degree angle (pic below of the jeep when it died) and I could hear it sputtering like it was out if gas and just died. Had 1/2 tank at the time
Looks like Devils' Stair Case on Broken Arrow....It would be interesting to fill up and run that section again....

Samsingh

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I can probably replicate the situation in a safer location, dont want to get stuck up there again. Took another jeep to yank me to level ground to get it started.

Another thing to note is that while on the decline my fuel registered as empty. On level ground back to half tank.

olllllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKURHR
Does the 392 have a different fuel pump/pickup location than the 3.6L? This whole thread is worrisome. Rock crawling in Moab but needing to do so with 3/4 to a full tank is going to cause issues for a lot of 392 owners. Sounds like it's a problem that needs a recall with a corrected fuel pickup to correct the issue. I'm not sure enough owners of 392's will experience this in the numbers to get this to that point to be resolved. Meanwhile I feel like I just ordered a wrangler that may get me into a bad situation that my current one wouldn't of.

Sponsored

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
I can probably replicate the situation in a safer location, dont want to get stuck up there again. Took another jeep to yank me to level ground to get it started.

Another thing to note is that while on the decline my fuel registered as empty. On level ground back to half tank.
When you fill up at a station, when you're at 1/2 tank on the Jeep gauge, what does the gas pump register? Just wondering if the sensor in the gas tank is correct...

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Does the 392 have a different fuel pump/pickup location than the 3.6L? This whole thread is worrisome. Rock crawling in Moab but needing to do so with 3/4 to a full tank is going to cause issues for a lot of 392 owners. Sounds like it's a problem that needs a recall with a corrected fuel pickup to correct the issue. I'm not sure enough owners of 392's will experience this in the numbers to get this to that point to be resolved. Meanwhile I feel like I just ordered a wrangler that may get me into a bad situation that my current one wouldn't of.
I wheeled a full week in Moab and had an 1/8th of a tank during hells revenge and was fine.

olllllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKURHR
Good news! Sounds like a more isolated case then. Could be bad tank sensor as asked about above or a bad or missing pickup. Weird how the factory only puts 4 gallons of fuel in them and they work fine, even loading on ramps to trains and auto transports. 🤔

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
BTW, engaging 4L will disable ESC.

Otherwise, there's a button on the lower center part of the dashboard.
Not all of it. Only the Tazer will kill all the nannies.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I did Behind the Rocks (including the White Knuckle drop), Pritchett Canyon, Cliffhanger, Elephant Hill, The Pickle & Mashed Potatoes this year in mine, never had an issue…
Sponsored