392 engine dies

james walters

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 jeep wrangler
playing on very very steep slick hills/banks. my 392 engine will die , goes up the inclines great spinning all 4 tires i get to the top of incline i hit brakes it stops and it will die and i go off the hill way to fast. does in low lock and with lockers or not locked . anyone got any ideas ?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be that you have so little traccion that the BLD/Traction Control is killing all power?

Try disabling the ESC completely. See if that does it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, engaging 4L will disable ESC.

Otherwise, there's a button on the lower center part of the dashboard.
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 engine dies hq720

OP
OP

james walters

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 jeep wrangler
BTW, engaging 4L will disable ESC.

Otherwise, there's a button on the lower center part of the dashboard.
Jeep Wrangler JL 392 engine dies hq720
thanks i will try that , i hope it works, going down hill backwards under power is no fun at all..

OP
OP

james walters

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 jeep wrangler
thanks i will try that , i hope it works, going down hill backwards under power is no fun at all..
i try again , as soon as i start coming back down the /Steep hill it dies, no brakes no steering. as soon as i can stop it , i can start up it like normal.

Sponsored

Anonymous

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR
Any warning lights, engine sputtering, etc?

OP
OP

james walters

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 jeep wrangler
Any warning lights, engine sputtering, etc?
no check engine lights, i called two dealerships today and talk to two different techs , they have not heard of any JLU jeeps doing this, they had no fixes..

OP
OP

james walters

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 jeep wrangler
no check engine lights, i called two dealerships today and talk to two different techs , they have not heard of any JLU jeeps doing this, they had no fixes..
i really appreciate your help...i am planning on a trip to moab this year, but as of now i dont trust my jeep on the hills...

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
i really appreciate your help...i am planning on a trip to moab this year, but as of now i dont trust my jeep on the hills...
This is probably a dumb suggestion, especially since I don't even know if this can still happen in modern cars/trucks & jeeps, but is it possible that it could be air or water in your fuel filter or line, or fuel pump? I had similar issues many years ago with an old truck dying after sudden changes in inclines, and if I remember correctly, it turned out to be stuff in the fuel filter.

It seems to me that the only thing that would cause it to die after a sharp change in incline like that would be a sudden loss of fuel, or spark. That was a long, long time ago though, and hell I might even be misremembering that that's what it was since I was not the most mechanically inclined to begin with, and I was even worse in my teens. 😄

Anyways, hope you can figure it out soon, would suck to miss out on a trip like that!

Sponsored

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Definitely don’t be afraid to yank that parking brake if you lose brakes and start sliding backwards!

OP
OP

james walters

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 jeep wrangler
This is probably a dumb suggestion, especially since I don't even know if this can still happen in modern cars/trucks & jeeps, but is it possible that it could be air or water in your fuel filter or line, or fuel pump? I had similar issues many years ago with an old truck dying after sudden changes in inclines, and if I remember correctly, it turned out to be stuff in the fuel filter.

It seems to me that the only thing that would cause it to die after a sharp change in incline like that would be a sudden loss of fuel, or spark. That was a long, long time ago though, and hell I might even be misremembering that that's what it was since I was not the most mechanically inclined to begin with, and I was even worse in my teens. 😄

Anyways, hope you can figure it out soon, would suck to miss out on a trip like that!
i will have a new fuel filter installed soon. i open to any ideas thanks..

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have off-road plus engaged when this happens? Off-road plus turns off quite a few nanny features which would help if it’s one of those you have scared. I’ve climbed and defended 30deg pitches in my 392 and the engine has never skipped a beat. I’ve always been in 4-Lo and off-road plus mode.