Usethis83

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the the info. I had no idea they made the switch.

I’ve always disliked the aluminum pan for off-road use. One hit on a rock and it’ll probably crack where a steel pan may just dent.

Has anyone seen a part number list needed to swap to the steel pan?
I have heard they are not a direct swap. I dont know if the block on the bottom is different or what, but that is the word on the always reliable internet.
Sponsored

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
I have heard they are not a direct swap. I dont know if the block on the bottom is different or what, but that is the word on the always reliable internet.
Thanks! I’m gonna dig into this.

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
To my suprise the kit came with another piece to cover the drivers cat. I did not install it at this time,
Not sure if i ever will. No doubt it would provide maximum protection, but i dont really like how it mounts and if you need it you are already bad into the front driveline.....so leaving off for now.
Is it a skidplate or anti-theft protection? I'm going to be looking for something to keep tweakers from cutting off my cat once my 392 is finally delivered...

OP
OP
Usethis83

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Is it a skidplate or anti-theft protection? I'm going to be looking for something to keep tweakers from cutting off my cat once my 392 is finally delivered...
:CWL::CWL: function is function

MNGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392 XR - 2022 Power Wagon
Thanks! I’m gonna dig into this.
Yes the new oil pan does not hang down as far (2 1/2 inches shorter) and the drain is no longer on the bottom. In all the owners groups I follow, no it is not a part you can swap out. I have no idea why. I attached a picture of my 392s oil pan.

oil pan 392.jpg

Sponsored

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
Yes the new oil pan does not hang down as far (2 1/2 inches shorter) and the drain is no longer on the bottom. In all the owners groups I follow, no it is not a part you can swap out. I have no idea why. I attached a picture of my 392s oil pan.

Jeep Wrangler JL ISO 392 Engine Skid oil pan 392
Thanks for the pic. That looks so much better! Would you mind measuring the length of the sump area from the front to the back? I’d like to compare it to the aluminum version. If it’s not much longer I’ll try to get the parts to make the change.

MNGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the pic. That looks so much better! Would you mind measuring the length of the sump area from the front to the back? I’d like to compare it to the aluminum version. If it’s not much longer I’ll try to get the parts to make the change.
I will get it when I get home later today.

This is from the JEEP 392 Forum.
"Unfortunately NO! you can't run the later model Jeep 392 stock steel pan on the early Jeep 392'S with the early aluminum pan. RKKRAWL purchased a steel pan and tried it, the difference is the front oil seal cover is thicker and the front bolt holes don't line up."

I don't know if that is true, but was in a conversation there.

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
I will get it when I get home later today.

This is from the JEEP 392 Forum.
"Unfortunately NO! you can't run the later model Jeep 392 stock steel pan on the early Jeep 392'S with the early aluminum pan. RKKRAWL purchased a steel pan and tried it, the difference is the front oil seal cover is thicker and the front bolt holes don't line up."

I don't know if that is true, but was in a conversation there.
If the timing cover isn’t too much trouble to swap out, it still may be worth it.
Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it!

MNGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know if you still wanted those measurements but the very bottom is 8 inches, but the overall front to back is 23 inches. probably not that accurate I was using a tape measure.

beckbuilt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392, 18 JLUS
Don't know if you still wanted those measurements but the very bottom is 8 inches, but the overall front to back is 23 inches. probably not that accurate I was using a tape measure.
That’s perfect! Thanks for taking the time to measure it. Much appreciated.

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
Any idea if M.O.R.E. Updated their oil/transmission pan design for the new 392 steel oil pan? It doesn’t look any different on their website from what I can tell.
Sponsored