3.6L ENGINE RELIABILITY

Nissan

First Name
Nissan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I would seriously consider increasing the viscosity to 5W-30 and would confirm the brand they are using. Bulk oil can contain impurities and many service locations do not maintain bulk oil containers they way they should.

Given that you have had two oil related engine failures, I would either find another service center or start performing my own oil changes--preferably the latter so that you know what is going into the engine.
I wanted to do an oil change myself, but they told me I would lose my warranty
Do you think 5w-30 oil is more effective?
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The 3.6 engine is the least of my worries so far. Everything else has had issues, electronics, transmission, several bit of suspension, interior stuff. The engine has been solid.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Whether 5w30 or 0w20 you just need to know what is going into it. Their bulk oil is a big mystery. Maybe they'll let you give them the jug and let you watch them put it in there.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
If I read your location correctly, you are in Israel? It is my understanding the temperatures in the middle east rival those of the desert area of the US and therefore if that is correct, I would up the viscosity. In the end, I would start doing the oil changes myself and skip the dealer. You have no way of knowing what they are installing--oil or filter. The oil could be the crux of all of your engine issues.

Out of curiosity, what oils are available locally in your area?

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
how would they know if you change it? if they want you in every 5-6k miles and you squeeze in a 3k mile change yourself....they would never know.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
You can't lose a factory warranty due to changing your own oil, you can "lose" one of those "Warranty Forever" deals though. I figure that my 50K of factory warranty will shake out any gremlins. I figure that the Warranty Forever would be a good substitute for TP if we get another wave of COVID.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Nissan

First Name
Nissan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Whether 5w30 or 0w20 you just need to know what is going into it. Their bulk oil is a big mystery. Maybe they'll let you give them the jug and let you watch them put it in there.
Thanks for the advice I definitely intend to be present when installing the new engine

Nissan

First Name
Nissan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If I read your location correctly, you are in Israel? It is my understanding the temperatures in the middle east rival those of the desert area of the US and therefore if that is correct, I would up the viscosity. In the end, I would start doing the oil changes myself and skip the dealer. You have no way of knowing what they are installing--oil or filter. The oil could be the crux of all of your engine issues.

Out of curiosity, what oils are available locally in your area?
You're right I live in Israel The temperatures in summer reach up to 48 degrees Celsius in extreme conditions
Usually 33 degrees Celsius in my area and in winter it reaches 0 degrees Celsius
After they release my vehicle I will definitely start doing the treatments myself
We have all kinds of oils
that my friends use

OILMopar.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Since warranty is a key issue here, I'd stick with what is specified, which is 0w20. A good 0w20, Like Mobil 1 EP, will have a higher flash point than even their 5w30, thanks to a higher PAO content, so hot weather is not an issue for it. Any big brand 0w20 is going to be a very good oil. With bulk dealer oil, you don't know the weight or quality. I've read horror stories of low quality bulk oil used by shops and even dealers here, so I wouldn't be shocked to see that in Israel or other parts of the world, too.

I don't think 5w30 weigt would do any harm at all, and actually may have some benefit in certain driving profiles, but it could be used as the basis to deny a warranty claim, as nowhere in the manual does it make an allowance for it. (btw, Mobil 1 EP 0w20 has a higher flash point than Mobil 1 EP 5w30).

Using that Mopar oil would also certainly protect your warranty. Keep receipts and evidence of your oil changes, as well.

We here must keep in mind that laws may be different in Israel in regard to warranties and maintaining them. So you'll have to see if we suggest something that you cannot do there. In the US, it is pretty hard for a manufacturer to deny warranty coverage for something like changing your own oil. But again, keeping records is a big part of it.

Btw, I'm betting that Mopar oil is supplied by Pennzoil. Since FCA became Stellantis, it might now even be a Mobil 1 or Exxon Mobil product. Hard to tell, but whatever it is, it will be very good oil and it will meet the design requirements of that engine. It is probably not cheap, though!

Nissan

First Name
Nissan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
True, our laws are stringent. Every little change that is made causes immediate cancellation of the warranty
Thanks so much for your response.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
True, our laws are stringent. Every little change that is made causes immediate cancellation of the warranty
Thanks so much for your response.
I figured there may be some differences there. Ours are designed much more to protect the consumer. It is not typical for our dealerships to demand oil change documentation, unless neglectful or improper maintenance is suspected.

A friend fo mine had a 3.8 JK that used oil (like mine). He never checked the oil and it ran itself dry and siezed up. Jeep covered it and installed a new engine for him. Even he was surprised and would have admitted to not checking it.

I just keep an electronic document listing the date, mileage, oil brand/weight, and filter brand. I do used oil analyses occasionally and keep those lab reports. That way I could prove the engine/oil were functioning properly at certain dates. I also document the oil usage in my 3.8 by recording how much I add each time. It has a lifetime powertrain warranty, so I've done this for 14 years and 160k miles. It would be VERY hard for them to deny a warranty after that time and with that documentation. But I don't think they would, anyway. The dealer told me if it hits 1 quart usage per 1k miles they will replace the engine, so they are easy going about it.

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
I have had 2011 and 2017 Challengers and a 2012 and now a 2021 jeep all with the 3.6 engine with zero problems engine wise. All bought new.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Only thing I’ve worried about it’s the crappy aux. battery failing while on an overland trip. Other then that I have a lot of faith in the 3.6

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
'20 jlr 3.6 recently turned over 100K miles. 0 problems. Maintenance schedule calls for new plugs (along with a lot of other checks). It is interesting to look at the wear and burn on the plugs. They are worn out but the burn looks OK and there was no deterioration in mileage or performance. This engine,trans combination is outstanding. There is no maintenance schedule for the transmission fluid or filter. It is considered "lifetime" (will do at 150K).

IMG_3417.jpeg

IMG_3444.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
'20 jlr 3.6 recently turned over 100K miles. 0 problems. Maintenance schedule calls for new plugs (along with a lot of other checks). It is interesting to look at the wear and burn on the plugs. They are worn out but the burn looks OK and there was no deterioration in mileage or performance. This engine,trans combination is outstanding. There is no maintenance schedule for the transmission fluid or filter. It is considered "lifetime" (will do at 150K).

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L ENGINE RELIABILITY IMG_3431

Nice!
I would have done that ATF service at 75k though, that "lifetime" BS is just to get you past the warranty. I'd also do a full coolant service as well. Here's the info on that ATF job if you wanna DIY.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-specific-auto-transmission-service-details.48248/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-auto-transmission-fluid-filter.43133/page-2
Sponsored