3.6L ENGINE RELIABILITY

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
There is no maintenance schedule for the transmission fluid or filter. It is considered "lifetime" (will do at 150K).
Not good to wait that long. Annually or biannually I do transmission, brake fluid, diff, power steering, coolant, etc.

If you wait until 150,000 miles you are asking for trouble.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not good to wait that long. Annually or biannually I do transmission, brake fluid, diff, power steering, coolant, etc.

If you wait until 150,000 miles you are asking for trouble.
Have you done the ATF on your JL? If so, what fluid did you go with and did you find a filter without having to buy that entire pan??

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you done the ATF on your JL? If so, what fluid did you go with and did you find a filter without having to buy that entire pan??
I do not own a JL. I do a drain and fill every other oil change, and full service annually or biannually depending on miles. My Chevy Silverado got driven over 40k per year so annual service with filter. My Lexus's get it every few years due to a lot less miles driven.

My GMC Sierra is a manual so biannual drain and fills for it.

A Wrangler is no different except of the procedure in how it's performed. These modern transmissions don't have a dipstick. They are similar to a manual transmission with a drain and fill plug.

BTW, thank you for the link on trans service!!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I do not own a JL. I do a drain and fill every other oil change, and full service annually or biannually depending on miles. My Chevy Silverado got driven over 40k per year so annual service with filter. My Lexus's get it every few years due to a lot less miles driven.

My GMC Sierra is a manual so biannual drain and fills for it.

A Wrangler is no different except of the procedure in how it's performed. These modern transmissions don't have a dipstick. They are similar to a manual transmission with a drain and fill plug.

BTW, thank you for the link on trans service!!
I did the same thing on our Infiniti G37 with its' "sealed for life AT", always noticed a difference in shifting performance w/ a fresh change of ATF.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brad admittedly I have not done one of these new style "lifetime transmission" services. I'm willing to bet the dealer can look up the exact filter and pan gasket using your VIN.

Sponsored

Nissan

First Name
Nissan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello everyone
I received pictures today from the service center.
According to them, this is what caused the engine to malfunction
Do you think that makes sense?

converter.jpeg

converter_1.jpeg

converter_2.jpeg

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm just over 70k and I'm very happy with the Pentastar. I did have to replace the oil filter housing, but I was overtorquing it a smidge on oil changes and probably tweaked it. For some reason I thought the torque spec was 25 for the cap, but it's actually 18, so that's on me.

Despite it leaking oil, it never threw a code or gave me any trouble. And while I had it apart to replace the housing, I ended up redoing the valve cover gaskets and dropped in new plugs anyway (even though everything looked fine).

So, here's to another 70k.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DUNE RAP

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I'm just over 70k and I'm very happy with the Pentastar. I did have to replace the oil filter housing, but I was overtorquing it a smidge on oil changes and probably tweaked it. For some reason I thought the torque spec was 25 for the cap, but it's actually 18, so that's on me.

Despite it leaking oil, it never threw a code or gave me any trouble. And while I had it apart to replace the housing, I ended up redoing the valve cover gaskets and dropped in new plugs anyway (even though everything looked fine).

So, here's to another 70k.
Wow, good to know about the housing!

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
I agree with you 100%! But when I go on these long trips in the middle of nowhere sometimes I get nervous! LOL
Dang. If you’re really out in the sticks maybe consider a sat phone or a SPOT gps device. Will give u peace of mind.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
There are plenty of posts about it, nothing to do with torque they just leak!
This is true and it's entirely possible it had nothing to do with it, but overtorquing the cap ain't exactly doing it any favors, either.

Find_me_overland

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
I have a 2018 Jeep JLU Sahara with the 3.6 V6. At 50K miles I had some small oil leaks. I took it to dodge in Sep 2022. Dodge decided it was covered under powertrain warranty. When they started to fix the leaks the belt tensioner broke so I ended up waiting 2 months for them to get the part. Fast forward to now and 55k miles. I noticed a couple days ago there was a new leak, so I made a new appointment at the same dealership. I checked the oil level and it was fine. On my way to the dealership I got a warning sign stating the engine is overheating and the battery is low. I pulled over immediately and checked under the hood. The serpentine belt wasn't spinning but the engine was running. Now I am no expert on these engines, but I checked the crank pully and it wasn't spinning either. I had it towed to the dealership and I'm waiting for them to tell me what's wrong.
Sponsored