Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
We just bought a Wrangler JLU Sahara for my wife's b-day. This is the first Wrangler we have owned and we are both in love with it. There were 34 miles on it when we bought it 2 days ago and now there are 172. Obviously we are in the break in period for the engine and obviously I am a dumba$$. I love muscle cars and Jeeps and anything with horsepower.
While test driving this Jeep I dropped the hammer on the pedal and was surprised and how this engine moves 4,400 lbs so easily and quickly. And that is my weakness, I love to drop the hammer. So now I am freaking out because I forgot "Hey idiot, you are in the break in phase!!!!". In the last 135 miles or so I have dropped the hammer about 10 times (yes I actually tried to remember exactly how many). Then I went on the web and looked up the best way to break in an engine...
1. DON'T DROP THE HAMMER
2. DON'T GO ABOVE 4,000 RPMS
3. Vary your speed and loads
4. No cruise control
5. Don't tow

So I've broken the first two rules about 10 - 12 times in 135 miles. Break in periods typically are anywhere from 300 to 1000 miles. Obviously I won't be dropping the hammer anymore and I will obey the break in laws. Anyone have any opinions on any damage (hot spots, wearing the rings too fast, etc...) I might have done? We plan on keeping this Jeep a LONG time and I now that now is the time to get it right.

I also plan on using the same Penzoil Platinum 0w - 20 that it shipped from the factory with and Mopar filters for my oil changes. I most likely will go less than the 7,500 miles between changes and also plan on doing a change around 750 miles to flush out any break in particulate.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
You probably didn't hurt a thing. The engines are most likely broken in at least to the point that the rings are seated, before they ever leave the engine factory. They do a "leak test" where they verify each new engine's function before release for shipping to Toledo. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

That said, I'm very curious about how it will turn out. Let us know at the first sign you are having engine trouble. (Just kidding! :cwl:)

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
A break-in thread AND an oil thread in one?!

Whelp, this is going to get interesting.

There's already a few threads regarding break-in periods. They tend to run page-after-page-after-page......

Sponsored

Pete01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
Break in period? Drive it as you would normally and use the entire rev range. Do not baby it... My JKUR with 80km on the clock I hit the tracks and it never used a drop of oil or any issues. My 2017 VW Golf R Wolfsburg the same. From the dealer out after fully warmed up the entire rev range was used. Not a drop of oil used also.... I’m not saying thrash the crap out of it but be sensible. Warm the engine up then use the entire rev range. Your engine is bench tested at the factory and is given the berries immediately....

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
God forbid you should follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.

break-in.png
(to be clear, I get frustrated with people relying on anecdotal evidence to tell others to ignore the manufacturer’s advice, not the people who in ignorance don’t follow it)

Pete01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
God forbid you should believe 100% what the manufacturer tells you lol....

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
God forbid you should believe 100% what the manufacturer tells you lol....
Yes and no. I mean they design, build, and test the engines, why would they give you a break in guideline if they didn't even know if it were correct?

Sponsored

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
Well they're telling you the speeds but they don't say "don't get there fast right" ;)

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Yes and no. I mean they design, build, and test the engines, why would they give you a break in guideline if they didn't even know if it were correct?
CYA.

I mean, sure follow it, but they provide the recommendation for their benefit.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
CYA.

I mean, sure follow it, but they provide the recommendation for their benefit.
Jeep is just out to get all of their owners I guess? Big conspiracy, they love having their reliability rating go down the drain to make a few extra dollars...sorry but I am not buying it. MAybe the New World Order is in on the whole thing as well and Denver International Airport is actually built to be a concentration camp

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
LOL, well no it's not a conspiracy! Never said they are out to get owners, but obviously they are more interested in protecting themselves than us getting joy from our vehicle a little faster. I figure that seems obvious without a conspiracy theory.

How bout that demon designed to run down the track, touted as breaking records...but whoops, no cage from the floor and can't do it? They want to claim the title as fastest, but don't want the liability. Perfectly fine, but hard to argue they are doing it for our benefit.

So WTH is "break in"? It's just easier to tell buyers in fine print that they should try and stay under 55 mph (really?) for 300 miles. If engines would blow because they got redlined, they would install software to limit it or handle it another way.

Kentano

First Name
Kentano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Victoria the Mall Rat
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely cruised at 75 and 2k rpm within the first 20 miles. I don’t see how speed would hurt anything if revs are low. I’ll probably change the oil early at around 2500 miles to clear out the break-in particles.
Sponsored