First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
There wouldn't be any let up for the ambient air to start making progress though, it would need a much more complex cooling system to beat that level of heat.
The cooling system has to overcome the exhaust manifold cooling as well, which under constant boost like that is probably pushing 1500*+, and that'll have a snowball effect. Hotter air getting pushed through a hotter intercooler, getting pushed into hotter cylinders.
As far as I know, the cooling system is the same between the two engines (radiator wise), so it'll be much more effective on the v6.
I think we said the same thing essentially. Now, it’s just conjecture on our part until it’s tested, which is unlikely.
Sponsored

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
All this debate about 3.6 vs 2.0 and nobody found the obvious answer... the EcoDiesel is the way to go. More torque than both those engines.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
All this debate about 3.6 vs 2.0 and nobody found the obvious answer... the EcoDiesel is the way to go. More torque than both those engines.
What? A FIAT Diesel?
FIAT= Fix It Again Tony

Whatever you are drinking, can I have some?

Please talk to a FCA Dealer Service Manager before you make that move....

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I didn’t go with the turbo because of the 48 volt electrical system and the premium fuel requirement.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's that just the etorque? Why not consider the 2L without it? The fuel is a recommendation, btw. It's not a requirement (although I think it should be).

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, which may be nothing, I have pulled my 800lb trailer with a 625lb zero-turn mower (total weight approximately 1425lbs), about 40 miles, with NO increase in coolant or oil temperature. Towing speed was minimum 55MPH, maximum 75MPH. My Jeep is a 2.0T e-torque. It is only about 1/3 of the maximum rated towing weight though.

Sponsored

L8Knight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2018 Yukon Denali
My 2 cents. I loved my 2.0 until I added 34s with a 2 inch lift. My millage dropped by almost 50 percent. It's now better in the city for millage than the highway.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
3.6 non-hybrid: You intend to own and keep your vehicle well beyond factory warranty coverage.
2.0 non-hybrid: You intend to sell or trade your vehicle soon after the warranty expires.
3.6 hybrid: You will be trading or selling your vehicle before the warranty expires.
2.0 hybrid: You will be returning the vehicle when the lease is up.
3.0 diesel with EGR, DPF, DEF delete: You're a diesel engine vet who wants to tinker with this thing.
3.0 diesel without emissions bypasses: You enjoy driving a wide range of vehicles and look forward to getting behind the wheel of every car in your dealer's loaner fleet.

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
3.6 non-hybrid: You intend to own and keep your vehicle well beyond factory warranty coverage.
2.0 non-hybrid: You intend to sell or trade your vehicle soon after the warranty expires.
3.6 hybrid: You will be trading or selling your vehicle before the warranty expires.
2.0 hybrid: You will be returning the vehicle when the lease is up.
3.0 diesel with EGR, DPF, DEF delete: You're a diesel engine vet who wants to tinker with this thing.
3.0 diesel without emissions bypasses: You enjoy driving a wide range of vehicles and look forward to getting behind the wheel of every car in your dealer's loaner fleet.
Is there any evidence that the hybrid is going to be troublesome? If anything, I believe it would be a wash since the hybrid results in a much more gentle ESS (vs using the starter motor) as well as smoother gear changes.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Is there any evidence that the hybrid is going to be troublesome? If anything, I believe it would be a wash since the hybrid results in a much more gentle ESS (vs using the starter motor) as well as smoother gear changes.
I think it was supposedly what passes for humor. Not sure.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Is there any evidence that the hybrid is going to be troublesome?
Evidence? No... When grain free dog food came out it was a similar debate. How can we do long term testing on something that's only been out for two years? For the same reasons as why I opted out of the etorque, I didn't feed my dog grain free food. I just didn't trust it (yet).

Sponsored

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
Evidence? No... When grain free dog food came out it was a similar debate. How can we do long term testing on something that's only been out for two years? For the same reasons as why I opted out of the etorque, I didn't feed my dog grain free food. I just didn't trust it (yet).
Yes, but, Mild hybrids have been in use since the early 2000's with Honda and GM- so hardly a new concept or technology. GM had some issues in 2009 with leaky batteries, but I can't find anything else that would point to problems or reduced reliability. It's pretty much just a battery and motor, after all, and eliminates the starter motor which is also a potential point of failure in ESS systems where it is put through many more cycles than conventional engine starting duty.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
It's pretty much just a battery and motor, after all, and eliminates the starter motor which is also a potential point of failure in ESS systems where it is put through many more cycles than conventional engine starting duty.
That's a very good point! I didn't realize that the mild hybrid concept had been around for that long, but now that I think about it you're absolutely right. But having said that, a turbo is a turbo, regardless of the vehicle. It's always called a Turbo (or turbocharged motor). The hybrid on the Jeep is called eTorque... is it called something else on other vehicles? And how different are they to the new eTorque? (eTorque is totally new to me, so I never even considered this before.) If you google eTorque reviews on the Ram, a lot of them seem to have problems failing pretty quickly. (edit: around 5th gen)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Not if you want a 2-door.

My 2 cents. I loved my 2.0 until I added 34s with a 2 inch lift. My millage dropped by almost 50 percent. It's now better in the city for millage than the highway.
What's your gear ratio?

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71
Drive both. Like most I had the same decision to make when I ordered my Rubicon. So far the 2.0 has proven to be a great motor with little to no evidence to support all the nay sayers reasonings. In my opinion both are great motors and it boils down to which one tickles your fancy while driving it. I rolled the dice and went with the 2.0. 8,000 miles later it has been an absolute joy to own.we are considering getting another Rubicon for the wife, if so it will have the 2.0 as well.. Drive both it is a personal choice with no wrong decision.
Sponsored