Sponsored

21 JL first outing, what did i do wrong?

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
In all seriousness - you just bought a $50K + vehicle. For what you're doing, you've basically just turned it into a toy that you're playing with and not knowing what's going on.

Sit down, read the manual. Then read it again. If you have a specific question after or during reading the manual then either look it up on YouTube or ask it here.

I'm all for helping people out, but I shake my head at people who pay all this money and then just start pressing buttons and pulling levers.
Sponsored

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
I had the same issue with 4 low the first time I wheeled the Jeep. Having driven nothing but 4wd vehicles for 40 years I have to admit, I did not read the manual and just learned something, thanks! I’ve always done 4 low from a dead stop.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
In all seriousness - you just bought a $50K + vehicle. For what you're doing, you've basically just turned it into a toy that you're playing with and not knowing what's going on.

Sit down, read the manual. Then read it again. If you have a specific question after or during reading the manual then either look it up on YouTube or ask it here.

I'm all for helping people out, but I shake my head at people who pay all this money and then just start pressing buttons and pulling levers.
Go easy on the noob here, Sparty. After all, politicians and NASA engineers are just two examples of folks who actually get paid to take control of expensive equipment and then just start pressing buttons and pulling levers.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What does off-road + do
LOL I must look like an idiot to you guys haha

I just got off-road and hit every button I could LOL I’m an idiot
Just take a peek at the manual and read the stuff that matters to you and you’ll end up knowing all the operating basics of the jeep.

The rubicon is a beast. Anytime I go into 4low I can just feel it fighting against the brakes wanting to go! The jeep even gets pushed up by the amount of torque going to all the wheels. You’ll get used to needing to apply more brake pressure when in 4Low

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Learning to off-road by reading the owner’s manual is like trying to play doctor by reading the side of the medication box. :LOL:
No it won’t help him be a better off-roader but one usually needs to start with the basics and learning how his rubicon works will go a long way, won’t it?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The introduction of the Rubicon model really spoiled the off-roading sport.
Before the Rubicon became available lockers were a rarity which led to those that had them not only knew how to drive off-road they knew when and where to use them.
Also, back then a newbie was limited by the Jeeps ability, ie while attempting a tough obstacle the Jeep would give up traction before the driver ran out of talent but with the introduction of the Rubicon model the opposite has become true.
We see that example regularly, newbie in a Rubicon trying an obstacle and finding him/herself in trouble but instead of the Jeep losing traction, it continues until it’s on it’s lid. The famous American Jeeper video was a good example of that.

I’m sure my opinion won’t be popular but it is what it is.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, any idea why i all off a sudden had no brakes?
It probably just seemed like you had none because of the extra torque on the wheels if you had pretty good traction. When you shift to 4 lo, you are increasing your torque advantage by multiplying on top of what is already pretty high with the engine torque and the axle gears increase it even further.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Before the Rubicon became available lockers were a rarity which led to those that had them not only knew how to drive off-road they knew when and where to use them.
Also, back then a newbie was limited by the Jeeps ability, ie while attempting a tough obstacle the Jeep would give up traction before the driver ran out of talent but with the introduction of the Rubicon model the opposite has become true.
We see that example regularly, newbie in a Rubicon trying an obstacle and finding him/herself in trouble but instead of the Jeep losing traction, it continues until it’s on it’s lid. The famous American Jeeper video was a good example of that.

You are 100% correct. The absolute best first purchase after you get that Rubicon is some proper off road driving instruction. The second best purchase is to get more off road driving instruction.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
You are 100% correct. The absolute best first purchase after you get that Rubicon is some proper off road driving instruction. The second best purchase is to get more off road driving instruction.
I would recommend anyone who has bought a Jeep Wrangler, especially a Rubicon, sign up for a Jeep Jamboree or some similar event. Sure, they are expensive but they are fun and the guides normally go overboard to make everyone feel welcome and work hard teach the newbies about their rig and proper off roading techniques.

BMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What does off-road + do
LOL I must look like an idiot to you guys haha

I just got off-road and hit every button I could LOL I’m an idiot
I took my V6 JLUR off-roading for the first time Saturday. I too had it pop out of 4L, but I was dead stopped when I tried to shift into 4L. So now that I've read this and other threads, I know to do it rolling.

I too pushed every button there was. "Off Road Plus !!" heck yeah I don't want to be just off road, I want Off Road Plus!

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Learning to off-road by reading the owner’s manual is like trying to play doctor by reading the side of the medication box. :LOL:
I didn't say read it to learn to offroad. I said to read it to figure out what all the shiny bells and whistles are for rather than going at it like a 13 year old ADHD kid in an elevator.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Excellent post - and I completely agree.
Sponsored