Sponsored

First ever wrangler, what to do first (in it)

gcamo0012

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB Sting Gray
Just put in an order yesterday for my first wrangler ever, 2019 Sting Gray MOAB w/ dual top, cold weather, tow group w/ hd aux, also my DD. I was advised 8-10 hoping 3-5

I always see a list of "First things to do to your Jeep". are there any interesting "first things I should do with my Jeep"

Obviously roof off, doors off, off roading, etc. I'm talking about the less obvious things

Thanks!
Sponsored

Notasuv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Research.....then reviews.....more research...take your time...try to get to some Jeeps shows you will get tons of ideas...and most important it's your Jeep do as YOU please...…………..

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Drive it. 500 miles, at least.
If you find things that NEED to be be changed, change them.
I’ll be surprised if you do, though.
Go slow. As with all new things.
Hasty decisions are often bad decisions.

Lecroj

First Name
Jon L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB JLU, 2012 MDX, 2010 Mini
I washed mine, added ceramic coating to the paint, added GPCA pulls above the four doors, shined the tires, added a stubby antenna, added a rear compartment floor guard.
About to add a dead pedal, a winch guard, electrical switches and 2 halogens so I can drive in snow. The LEDs on the MOAB don’t melt snow and get covered.
Waiting for an AEV rear bumper, a Gobi roof rack that has to hook to the bumper and 285/75/17 KO2 tires once the mud tires wear out. Gobi can’t make an AEV compatible roof rack until the rear bumper comes out.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Take the top down and go for a ride somewhere scenic and enjoy the wind, the view, and the admiring looks of you fellow motorists. Have fun!

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
If your state puts a lot of salt on the road get it under coated by a reputable company. Up here I use Krown not sure if they have locations where you are.

One word of warning though, changing one thing might snowball into many changes. For example adding a lift kit. Which then makes your stock wheels & tires look too small so you wind up buying bigger tires and 'nicer' wheels. Then you discover that you now have a wobble in your steering because the factory steering stabilizer isn't up to the task so you then replace this as well...... Then you notice that your stock front bumper looks rather bland/boring so now you are looking at a nicer front bumper, which has the capability for a winch. So you now get a winch to fill that hole in the bumper......

Now that you are all set to go off roading you discover that a 2 way radio Ham or CB or both would be handy so you wind up driving yourself crazy trying to find a good antenna and mount for the JL (hint, not the behind the spare tire because many of the mounts I have seen cause the antenna to touch the spare tire and this could cause problems getting a flat SWR).....

Oh and then you go through the agony of trying to figure out where you are going to mount said radio and then where to tap it's power. At which point you realize you should have gone for the trailer tow option as it gave you switches and wiring you can easily tap for the radio, and if you don't have Nav the GPS or whatever other electronic gadgets you want to install.

At which point you now discover that you have several things bouncing around the cabin of the Jeep so you have to figure out how to securely mount it all. (Hint there are several companies that make some pretty trick mounting hardware for Jeeps such as Rugged Ridge and Jeep Uniq)

And because of the lift you now need to add some grab handles so you can actually get into your Jeep. Then you notice your lighting doesn't really cut it at night so you 'need' some trick LED light bars, which now means the need for some pillar mounted switches because you not only added a bar to the bull bar over your winch but a pair of lights in the bumper in the nice cutouts they gave you and to the sides of the windshield. Of course then you realize you could also mount the mother of all light bars at the top of your windshield so what the heck.... oh and it gets really dark where you go wheeling at night and you discover your backup lights don't cut it so you get more LED lighting on the back of the Jeep..... at which point you now discover that you need to upgrade your alternator because it just can't handle all the lighting, CB radio, and the upgraded stereo that you had to add because going top down meant that wind noise was drowning out the factory radio.....

So I guess be careful about that 'first thing' you add......

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Every single fuse will need to be seated, pop the hood and pull the fuse box cover. Whatever process they use to set the fuses sucks.
Surprisingly, this was not an issue for me. First thing I checked yesterday upon meeting the Jeep. Definitely still check it though.

The FIRST thing to do IN your new jeep??

Find a dead end road with your sig other and have at it!!
I’m surprised it took someone that long to get to this; that’s what I came in this thread to say! Y’all have jeeps on the brain too much...

If your state puts a lot of salt on the road get it under coated by a reputable company. Up here I use Krown not sure if they have locations where you are.

One word of warning though, changing one thing might snowball into many changes. For example adding a lift kit. Which then makes your stock wheels & tires look too small so you wind up buying bigger tires and 'nicer' wheels. Then you discover that you now have a wobble in your steering because the factory steering stabilizer isn't up to the task so you then replace this as well...... Then you notice that your stock front bumper looks rather bland/boring so now you are looking at a nicer front bumper, which has the capability for a winch. So you now get a winch to fill that hole in the bumper......

Now that you are all set to go off roading you discover that a 2 way radio Ham or CB or both would be handy so you wind up driving yourself crazy trying to find a good antenna and mount for the JL (hint, not the behind the spare tire because many of the mounts I have seen cause the antenna to touch the spare tire and this could cause problems getting a flat SWR).....

Oh and then you go through the agony of trying to figure out where you are going to mount said radio and then where to tap it's power. At which point you realize you should have gone for the trailer tow option as it gave you switches and wiring you can easily tap for the radio, and if you don't have Nav the GPS or whatever other electronic gadgets you want to install.

At which point you now discover that you have several things bouncing around the cabin of the Jeep so you have to figure out how to securely mount it all. (Hint there are several companies that make some pretty trick mounting hardware for Jeeps such as Rugged Ridge and Jeep Uniq)

And because of the lift you now need to add some grab handles so you can actually get into your Jeep. Then you notice your lighting doesn't really cut it at night so you 'need' some trick LED light bars, which now means the need for some pillar mounted switches because you not only added a bar to the bull bar over your winch but a pair of lights in the bumper in the nice cutouts they gave you and to the sides of the windshield. Of course then you realize you could also mount the mother of all light bars at the top of your windshield so what the heck.... oh and it gets really dark where you go wheeling at night and you discover your backup lights don't cut it so you get more LED lighting on the back of the Jeep..... at which point you now discover that you need to upgrade your alternator because it just can't handle all the lighting, CB radio, and the upgraded stereo that you had to add because going top down meant that wind noise was drowning out the factory radio.....

So I guess be careful about that 'first thing' you add......
Please stop saying trick. But holy crap this was an awesome read, well done sir! :clap:

Sponsored