Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Just got home from my test drive.

• Engine - man, that 2.0L is *punchy*. Had no issues getting up to 85 on the freeway, I'm now extremely comfortable with that as my powertrain.
  • Color - I think I've ultimately decided on a Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude. I'm not 100% on the body color hardtop, but I'm OK ordering it for a few reasons:
    • The Altitude comes with the headliner, and I *did* notice some road noise at hwy speeds. The price difference for me between Sahara vs Altitude is $300, and that headliner alone is a ~$550 part, so I'm ahead just on that alone. Factor in the black decals and wheels on the Altitude (which I would do anyways) and I'm further ahead.
    • By starting with a body color, I have the option of just plasti-dipping or rhino-lining it if I really just can't stand it. If I go Sahara to get the black top, I lose the headliner, the black "stuff", and I lose the option of switching between body color/black hardtop
  • BONUS: They had a 4xe Sahara on the lot so we took that out for a spin, too. It's really nice, and the hybrid options are interesting. I did NOT like the Max Regen, especially on the freeway. While the overall package would be a few grand cheaper for me (factoring in the tax credit), I do lay my seats down quite a bit in my truck today, so I'd hate to lose the extra space back there. I'm fine skipping the 4xe for now. But it was kinda fun to drive.
  • Gorilla Glass - I think I'm going to skip this for now, unless there are major updates to the thread. We have a beach trip planned for the end of July, and if GG makes the difference between getting to take the new Jeep out to the beach or not, then I'll save the $95.
The 2.0L I drove was the Freedom Edition with a black hardtop, and the 4xe had the same top. However, I didn't notice the road noise in the Freedom Edition like I did on the 4xe, which is odd, cause they're basically the same top. Neither had the headliner installed. Just a weird observation.

Planning to put in my order on Monday. The local dealership's order person was out of the office, which was fine since Monday was my original plan anyways. I've got a quote from Gupton, and have reached out to a local dealership in South Austin. If the Austin dealership or my local one can match Gupton (or come close enough when factoring in travel, etc), then great. If not, then I'll order with Gupton.

Feels kinda good to have finally driven and feel confident in my decision. Heaven help me if the June order sheets drop on Monday and have new options.
Sponsored

zshannon20

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi A3; 2022 Jeep Compass High Altitude
Occupation
Medical Device Operations/Distribution; USMC Reserve Officer

• Engine - man, that 2.0L is *punchy*. Had no issues getting up to 85 on the freeway, I'm now extremely comfortable with that as my powertrain.
  • Color - I think I've ultimately decided on a Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude. I'm not 100% on the body color hardtop, but I'm OK ordering it for a few reasons:
    • The Altitude comes with the headliner, and I *did* notice some road noise at hwy speeds. The price difference for me between Sahara vs Altitude is $300, and that headliner alone is a ~$550 part, so I'm ahead just on that alone. Factor in the black decals and wheels on the Altitude (which I would do anyways) and I'm further ahead.
    • By starting with a body color, I have the option of just plasti-dipping or rhino-lining it if I really just can't stand it. If I go Sahara to get the black top, I lose the headliner, the black "stuff", and I lose the option of switching between body color/black hardtop
  • BONUS: They had a 4xe Sahara on the lot so we took that out for a spin, too. It's really nice, and the hybrid options are interesting. I did NOT like the Max Regen, especially on the freeway. While the overall package would be a few grand cheaper for me (factoring in the tax credit), I do lay my seats down quite a bit in my truck today, so I'd hate to lose the extra space back there. I'm fine skipping the 4xe for now. But it was kinda fun to drive.
  • Gorilla Glass - I think I'm going to skip this for now, unless there are major updates to the thread. We have a beach trip planned for the end of July, and if GG makes the difference between getting to take the new Jeep out to the beach or not, then I'll save the $95.
The 2.0L I drove was the Freedom Edition with a black hardtop, and the 4xe had the same top. However, I didn't notice the road noise in the Freedom Edition like I did on the 4xe, which is odd, cause they're basically the same top. Neither had the headliner installed. Just a weird observation.

Planning to put in my order on Monday. The local dealership's order person was out of the office, which was fine since Monday was my original plan anyways. I've got a quote from Gupton, and have reached out to a local dealership in South Austin. If the Austin dealership or my local one can match Gupton (or come close enough when factoring in travel, etc), then great. If not, then I'll order with Gupton.

Feels kinda good to have finally driven and feel confident in my decision. Heaven help me if the June order sheets drop on Monday and have new options.
Nice write up! And glad to hear that about the 2.0. I ordered a Sahara 4xe yesterday. Selling my current 2021 Sahara Altitude. I love the Altitude package though. All of the black accents look great. Will def look awesome with Hydro Blue. Lucky you got to test the 4xe. I’ve been looking for one to drive. Aside from not liking the max regen, what else did you like/not like about it? I’m switching to it since the electric range covers my commute. On top of that, I was tired of my white Altitude. I liked the white on black at first, but I’m used to having a black car. My Sahara 4xe will be all blacked out with just the blue 4xe accents.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner

Congrats brother. Let us know what deal you end up getting. We will all have to post photos here when we have our babies in our hands.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Nice write up! And glad to hear that about the 2.0. I ordered a Sahara 4xe yesterday. Selling my current 2021 Sahara Altitude. I love the Altitude package though. All of the black accents look great. Will def look awesome with Hydro Blue. Lucky you got to test the 4xe. I’ve been looking for one to drive. Aside from not liking the max regen, what else did you like/not like about it? I’m switching to it since the electric range covers my commute. On top of that, I was tired of my white Altitude. I liked the white on black at first, but I’m used to having a black car. My Sahara 4xe will be all blacked out with just the blue 4xe accents.
There wasn't anything wrong with it. Hybrid mode was fine, but a *little* sluggish. Probably only noticable cause I had literally *just* driven the 2.0L. The e-save mode was basically the exact same as driving the 2.0L.

It would be fine for me, but I don't like the "shelf" when you fold the seats down. I actually fold the back seats in my truck down pretty often and enjoy the adaptability.

It's REALLY nice otherwise. Would be a tough call between the two.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Max regen definitely takes some getting used to. I have a HEV now that I always run in max regen (and it is way more intense than the 4xe‘s) so I am used to what it does and how it changes the driving experience, but it was quite a shift from driving a regular ICE at first! (Didn’t help that I was also going from 5speed manual to CVT.) Strangely, I notice it the least at highway speeds, but I also use cruise control quite a bit to mitigate my lead foot…

I don’t think the space change is really all that much, is it? You do have to pull up the seat cushions to make the seats lie flat, but when I played around with it at the dealership it looked like 2-3” elevation difference.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

One other thing I noticed is the heated steering wheel - the heat is all the way around the wheel.

This surprised me cause on my wife's Lexus RX350, it's not - it's only heated at 2,3,4 and 8,9,10 on a clock.

N3mesis

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, Wrangler on Order
You might want to look at the thread closer.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/gecko-wrangler-jl-club.68213/

There is one JL Gecko that showed up at dealership before the Gecko orders opened, few people posting pictures of their JK's, and a bunch people waiting for their Gecko to be scheduled for production.

I am not here to argue Gecko. I have only been here since last summer, but my main point is that it seems like every time Jeep adds an option (half doors, now GG) or color (Hydro blue, Gecko) or models (80th's, 4Xe, 392) to the order guide it takes a while before they start shipping them.
I would agree. When you see the new parts, colors, or trims being added they typically do small runs which is apart of the PPAP or approval process. Once it passes quality and testing they are still sold but then there is a delay as those parts, color, or trims are scheduled into the normal production process.

ck23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR-Diesel

Great write up! Let me know if the deal works out in Austin, I live here as well and am just about ready to put my order in. Just need to find the right deal.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
One other thing I noticed is the heated steering wheel - the heat is all the way around the wheel.

This surprised me cause on my wife's Lexus RX350, it's not - it's only heated at 2,3,4 and 8,9,10 on a clock.
The heated steering wheel and seats work really good on the JL. I really only wanted heated seats originally. I really did not want the heated steering wheel initially but it was bundled with the heated seats. To my surprised, I LOVE the heated steering wheel! A must have option for me now.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The heated steering wheel and seats work really good on the JL. I really only wanted heated seats originally. I really did not want the heated steering wheel initially but it was bundled with the heated seats. To my surprised, I LOVE the heated steering wheel! A must have option for me now.
Same. I thought a heated steering wheel in Texas was stupid till my wife got it in her Lexus and now I love it.

Caseman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for jeep
I'm going white with black fenders. .... Or silver if for some reason they bring it back tomorrow. ( Unlikely)

szachaczd1

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Unlimited Sahara
Engine - This is basically decided unless the 2.0L just really seems sluggish on my test drive tomorrow.
I test drove a 4 door Sport S yesterday with the 2.0 and I was really impressed with the instant pull the pedal had and how responsive the brakes were. Coming from the 2008 4 door with a 3.6L V6, I was in love.

I wanted to order an 80th anniversary edition, 4 door in Sarge green but my dealer said they aren't able to do orders for the 80th anniversary edition anymore. Been looking around online and hopefully found one that's in transit to a dealership in NY.

Hope everyone has been fortunate with the ordering process and their Wranglers!
Sponsored