2 Door vs 4 Door

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
JLU is rated to tow up to 3,500 lbs (I believe, someone correct me please if I'm wrong). The JL can only tow 2,000 lbs. While neither is great, if you think a trailer could be in your future the 4 door gives you a few more options.
This, plus tongue weight on the 2 door, as I disappointingly found out, is only 200 pounds. I had planned on using my trailer hitch dirt bike rack with the JL 2 door. But the rack is about 75 ish pounds and the bike is about 220. So I am pulling my bike on a 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer with a few mods.
Sponsored

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome thanks those pics help a lot! I think they'd sell a ton more if they showed it from that angle lol

I current run just the base soft top so I think this'll be moving to the top of the shopping list lol

Thanks again!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Purchased a 2020 Willy's JL in February.3.6 and six speed. My wife has a 2018 JLU. I enjoy the 2dr much better. Had 4 2drs ranging from CJ2,3s 5s. No kids now so for me 2drs will always be my go to. Look and feel is so different from 4drs. It's a unique ride and feel you'll always appreciate.
This FTW! ^^^

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My wife and I are empty-nesting. The 2-door with the rear seat pulled out works for us. It has the classic Jeep design, gets better gas mileage (it's lighter than a JLU), and has a phenomenal turning radius.

I also get jealous stares from (some of) my friends with JLUs. :)
It BETTER get better mpg, that wimpy 17 gallon tank is a bummer, but still isn't enough for me to sway towards a 4dr :)

stowayman

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Rubicon, 2023 BMW X5, 2023 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
"Jeep is America's only true sports car"
- Enzo Ferrari

Take the back seat out and there's tons of room... the turning radius and break over angle on theJLR with 33's allows for some serious wheelin'.... factory stock... traded my 2019 Corvette in for this one...

Bike in back of Jeep.jpg

Rubicon Idaho City Trip 2.jpeg

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The 2-door steering ratio is slower, likely due to the shorter wheelbase. This could be a benefit when running larger tires or a front locker.
I happen to have had the 4 door steering box in my 2 door due to a dealer screw up. The difference is negligible. Had I not checked part numbers I am not sure I would have noticed. The dealer told me it did not matter. Jeep, however, seemed to think it was a major concern and did not seem too pleased that Autonation Chrysler Jeep Arapahoe installed the wrong box, and then told me "oh it's fine".

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I happen to have had the 4 door steering box in my 2 door due to a dealer screw up. The difference is negligible. Had I not checked part numbers I am not sure I would have noticed. The dealer told me it did not matter. Jeep, however, seemed to think it was a major concern and did not seem too pleased that Autonation Chrysler Jeep Arapahoe installed the wrong box, and then told me "oh it's fine".
Jeep might be freaking out because of Moose Test type maneuvers. The shorter wheelbase will change directions faster, and with a faster ratio box the input change is greater. Theoretically this could result in a higher probability of roll-overs.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Jeep might be freaking out because of Moose Test type maneuvers. The shorter wheelbase will change directions faster, and with a faster ratio box the input change is greater. Theoretically this could result in a higher probability of roll-overs.

Disregarding all the driver's bellyaching, I think the JL did admirably in that ridiculous test.

Sponsored

tecnic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
If you need a back seat, get a 4 door.

If you don't need a back seat, get a 2 door.

If you need a truck, get a Chevy.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Our dealer had the wrong 4 dr box just about ready to install for that TSB, luckily they caught the error just prior to the install, but did most everything else wrong including reusing the shaft bolt, only snugging down the 4 box bolts (about 60 ft lbs less than they should have been), and forgot to reinstall the fluid reservoir cap, but at least they left in on the inside fender shelf :( Luckily I don't trust service depts and checked everything as soon as I got home, and hit no bumps on that road apparently.

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL, 2013 Dodge Charger R/T
Clubs

I think it depends on when you first got 'into' Jeeps. I'm just guessing, but it seems like the JK crowd seems to be pretty pro 4-door V6, whereas if you were around during the TJ & earlier era, a Jeep is 2-doors and an inline is OK.
old thread dont care / JK crowd is the most toxic and they shamelessly shill for the 4 doors. no thanks.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I got a 4 door because of babies, now they are older, they can get in themselves, I want to go back to a 2 door, but I'm hooked on the 4xe, hopefully they make a 2 Door 4xe soon.

I more need garage space than cargo space.
Sponsored