Sponsored

2.0L Turbo non-BSG engine

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
In my opinion this was done as a cost saving measure and to streamline engines across global models, no more no less. It was kept on the Sahara because it’s cheaper to make than the Rubicon when you factor in axles etc, additionally those vehicles users are more likely to use the ESS system. We etorque owners just need the aftermarket to figure out ways to make this system run tools and other cool 48v stuff. The BSG system can likely be adjusted and deleted also. Time will tell.

Would be neat if it could be deleted and that cooling system say could run a fridge or something else. So many options...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
This was done as a cost saving measure and to streamline engines across global models, no more no less. It was kept on the Sahara because it’s cheaper to make than the Rubicon when you factor in axles etc, additionally those vehicles users are more likely to use the ESS system.
You state this as fact. Do you have inside knowledge of the actual decision making at FCA that led to this decision or, are you just stating your opinion (despite writing it as fact)?

While I speculate that what you say might be true or partly true, I don’t know that to be a fact. Do you?

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You state this as fact. Do you have inside knowledge of the actual decision making at FCA that led to this decision or, are you just stating your opinion (despite writing it as fact)?

While I speculate that what you say might be true or partly true, I don’t know that to be a fact. Do you?
My post was written as intended, however I did edit it to be less direct; and I’ll add that I or members of my team do or have worked with FCA on some projects and that my post doesn’t represent them or their affiliates and anything I share is my opinion. This is one I happen to have some knowledge of strictly from a global marketing perspective.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It doesnt add anything but it is still a parasitic device. Without having to charge that 48v battery with the eTorque generator I'd be willing to bet the wheel hp and tq would benefit, same as guys cutting out the AC for that little extra power. The question is how much do you get back?
It uses regenerative braking. It's a "Smart" charging system. It will also charge when the cruise control is on when trying to be maintain a speed when going down Hills.

Yes it does add about 100 lbs, no free lunch.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
My post was written as intended, however I did edit it to be less direct; and I’ll add that I or members of my team do or have worked with FCA on some projects and that my post doesn’t represent them or their affiliates and anything I share is my opinion. This is one I happen to have some knowledge of strictly from a global marketing perspective.
But the 2.0T without the eTorque has existed in the JL in all export models since it was launched. I’m not sure how removing eTorque from US models makes any difference “from a global marketing perspective”?

Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
But the 2.0T without the eTorque has existed in the JL in all export models since it was launched. I’m not sure how removing eTorque from US models makes any difference “from a global marketing perspective”?
Correct and that requires all engine photos and printed materials to be different. Keeping things simple allows simple language changes, this saves tremendous cost and time.

I’m sure there are other technical reasons such as technician training and spare parts. I only know that Jeep is making a massive massive ad spend on its new lines and keeping costs and features consistent aids in that.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Correct and that requires all engine photos and printed materials to be different. Keeping things simple allows simple language changes, this saves tremendous cost and time.

I’m sure there are other technical reasons such as technician training and spare parts. I only know that Jeep is making a massive massive ad spend on its new lines and keeping costs and features consistent aids in that.
I’m sorry you’re going to struggle making the printing argument to somebody who spent his entire career in the industry. Sure it might cost a little extra to print different versions of the brochures but ultimately it’s still converting the same amount of paper. Across the total these costs are not significant.

Jeep, like all global brands, uses local advertising agencies in their different markets. Why? Because they understand the local market conditions and culture better than somebody in an office in Toledo. So the broadcast ads’ content varies from market to market regardless of model variations.

So I’m sorry neither of your arguments stand up to scrutiny.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m sorry you’re going to struggle making the printing argument to somebody who spent his entire career in the industry. Sure it might cost a little extra to print different versions of the brochures but ultimately it’s still converting the same amount of paper. Across the total these costs are not significant.

Jeep, like all global brands, uses local advertising agencies in their different markets. Why? Because they understand the local market conditions and culture better than somebody in an office in Toledo. So the broadcast ads’ content varies from market to market regardless of model variations.

So I’m sorry neither of your arguments stand up to scrutiny.

Clearly you know better. I’ll stick to my job.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

I guess I don’t understand how this works. The BSG engine is now offered in only one wrangler. That means printed materials still need to be different, and photos to be different, and technician training/spare parts costs don’t change.

Shrug. I guess I don’t understand. It would be more clear to me if Jeep stopped selling the 2.0-BSG all together, everywhere in the world. But, they didn’t. By keeping it in the line-up, and adding a 2.0 ESS it seems to me that they have added costs and complexity.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I guess I don’t understand how this works. The BSG engine is now offered in only one wrangler. That means printed materials still need to be different, and photos to be different, and technician training/spare parts costs don’t change.

Shrug. I guess I don’t understand. It would be more clear to me if Jeep stopped selling the 2.0-BSG all together, everywhere in the world. But, they didn’t. By keeping it in the line-up, and adding a 2.0 ESS it seems to me that they have added costs and complexity.

I didn’t understand them keeping it on the Sahara line only. Somewhere the data makes sense.

3.6 BSG is in the Ram

2.0 with ESS is globally available

2.0 BSG I have no idea as to why it was kept for one model, perhaps we will see that change in 2021.

I’m really curious as to if anyone knows how much data our vehicles send back to FCA during health reports. I wonder if time with ESS turned on and off is broadcast back.

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I didn’t understand them keeping it on the Sahara line only. Somewhere the data makes sense.
Yes, e-torque improves fuel economy, even if only slightly.
Yes, Rubicon owners typically don't want an overly complicated system that is more of a liability than it is an asset.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

3.6 BSG is in the Ram

2.0 with ESS is globally available

2.0 BSG I have no idea as to why it was kept for one model, perhaps we will see that change in 2021.

I’m really curious as to if anyone knows how much data our vehicles send back to FCA during health reports. I wonder if time with ESS turned on and off is broadcast back.
Only a wild guess- maybe they are only keeping it on the Sahara is probably because they are phasing it out. And left over stocks of the engine will be used until depletion and we may not see it on any platforms in 2021.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Only a wild guess- maybe they are only keeping it on the Sahara is probably because they are phasing it out. And left over stocks of the engine will be used until depletion and we may not see it on any platforms in 2021.
My thoughts too

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The
I noticed that it is no longer possible to get a BSG 2.0 in a 2-door. I wonder that has anything to do with it.