First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I work on the sports sedan version of the Jeep with the ZF 8 speed and 2.0l turbo. Sits lower and has Italian flags on it. They hold up too.
Sponsored

Grayrat

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Has anyone had any reliability issues with the 2.0 turbo 4 cyl?
I'm looking to buy a JLU and find several for sale with that engine.
Thanks
Before you make a selection, you may want to decide if you plan on keeping it pretty stock or building the performance from a "platform". The 2.0T does not have as many options to make it more powerful. Just something to think about: I chose the 2.0T for 2 reasons: First was I really liked the quick acceleration of the 2.0T compared to the standard 3.6 V6. I never even thought about changing anything until I actually owned it. Next, a friend who I trust is a mechanic for one of the local mopar dealerships in my area recommended the 2.0T as a proven solid motor that was fun to drive in the street. He is not a Jeep guy, he drives a big Ram Deisel. His wife has an Alfa Romeo that has the same 2.0T motor and it is a 2017 and going strong. I haven't had any engine issues 12K. And my mechanic friend has not reported any turbo related issues on much higher mileage units, as they are now into their 4th year of use on the Jeep, and have a long history before that in European road cars. If you notice, all the new 1/2 ton trucks come with turbo V6 motors which have replaced the smaller V8's. I think the 4 cylinder turbos are replacing the 6 cylinder standard injection models. I sure hope they don't try to replace the gas/diesel Jeeps with electric. My Jeep mileage goes way down when I am off-roading, and there is no way to carry and extra battery with you, in case you run out of juice.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Before you make a selection, you may want to decide if you plan on keeping it pretty stock or building the performance from a "platform". The 2.0T does not have as many options to make it more powerful. Just something to think about: I chose the 2.0T for 2 reasons: First was I really liked the quick acceleration of the 2.0T compared to the standard 3.6 V6. I never even thought about changing anything until I actually owned it. Next, a friend who I trust is a mechanic for one of the local mopar dealerships in my area recommended the 2.0T as a proven solid motor that was fun to drive in the street. He is not a Jeep guy, he drives a big Ram Deisel. His wife has an Alfa Romeo that has the same 2.0T motor and it is a 2017 and going strong. I haven't had any engine issues 12K. And my mechanic friend has not reported any turbo related issues on much higher mileage units, as they are now into their 4th year of use on the Jeep, and have a long history before that in European road cars. If you notice, all the new 1/2 ton trucks come with turbo V6 motors which have replaced the smaller V8's. I think the 4 cylinder turbos are replacing the 6 cylinder standard injection models. I sure hope they don't try to replace the gas/diesel Jeeps with electric. My Jeep mileage goes way down when I am off-roading, and there is no way to carry and extra battery with you, in case you run out of juice.
You could add a supercharger to the 3.6 for $10k to get to this level, or a jb4 and a few hundred dollars of bolt on parts on the 2.0t...
Screenshot_20210709-113443_Drive.jpg

There are plenty of options for the 2.0t, and they are far more cost effective as far as horsepower per dollar. Obviously the V6 has higher potential if you want to push both to the limit, but the turbo is where it's at in my opinion.

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
Can't speak for longevity but after having one for 2 months and 6,000 miles I like it! I had planned on getting a V6, after searching dealers within 500 miles for a JLR it became pretty clear it was a 2.0 or custom order. For a little more than the cost of the V6 upgrade I put a extended warranty on the Jeep and now have a lot of years and miles before I have to worry about it. The turbo kicks in early and this motor hits peak torque at 3,000 rpm's. Peppy little motor. As was mentioned earlier, best fuel economy if you keep it around 60-65, start getting north of 70mph and it drops pretty quick.
Good plan. When I ordered my Jeep, the standard V6 was unavailable. V6 with etorque was gonna cost me $1700 over the 2.0 ($1200 charge vs -$500 credit). With the $1700 savings I can get a Mopar extended warranty, and have money left over, through Granger and not have to worry about it for at least 100k miles.

Sponsored

hellafools

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Just today, I surprised a built ricer when pulling away from a stoplight. It was neat to hear the change in exhaust tone when he saw what was happening and decided to lift his right foot.

I usually don't do that, having grown out of such behavior, but he was purposely pulling away slowly from stoplights when I was behind his vehicle in the same lane. When I saw the left lane open, I took my opportunity to get past him. And of course he plants his foot when the light turns green. Solly, Cholly, you lose this one.

See 3:44 of the video. The Wrangler has all-season radials mounted on upmarket alloy wheels. Likely one of the "Altitude" trims.
“Ricer” and “Solly, cholly?”

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
“Ricer” and “Solly, cholly?”
"Ricer" is a derogatory term usually used for vehicles built in Japan or Korea, but also ignorantly applied to other foreign makes in the United States (such as German or Italian vehicles).

"Solly, Cholly" first stereotypes the driver of the vehicle, assuming that a Japanese/Korean vehicle is driven by a person who's first language is from Asia. Secondly it derogatorily points out that some Asian language speakers reverse their R and L sounds, as this would be a mispronunciation of "Sorry Charlie". Additionally "Charlie" is a racist term for an Asian person.

hellafools

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
"Ricer" is a derogatory term usually used for vehicles built in Japan or Korea, but also ignorantly applied to other foreign makes in the United States (such as German or Italian vehicles).

"Solly, Cholly" first stereotypes the driver of the vehicle, assuming that a Japanese/Korean vehicle is driven by a person who's first language is from Asia. Secondly it derogatorily points out that some Asian language speakers reverse their R and L sounds, as this would be a mispronunciation of "Sorry Charlie". Additionally "Charlie" is a racist term for an Asian person.
I just wanted to call it out, being Asian myself and subject to all sorts of racist bs, but I figured I’d let them try to explain themselves.

Sponsored

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Not sure why I'm just seeing this- but since the question was asked-went from the JLU sport s 3.6 to the JLUR 2.0 4cyl has been very effective-it beats getting out and disconnecting the sway bar-now I have a button, and the off-road button- (my internal Italian coming out) forget about it. Since I have not had a manual in a while-cruise control and at a low speed. Keep the Jeep wave going.

ChrisTheGod

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha r6, Infiniti q60s conv, 2021 HYDRO RUBI

I just wanted to call it out, being Asian myself and subject to all sorts of racist bs, but I figured I’d let them try to explain themselves.
What are ya even talking about. Why ya trying to bring that 2022 sensitive shit here. Ricer is used for people (mostly Hondas) that try and make their cars look or sound fast but it’s still a piece of shit theirs nothing racist or nothing wrong with the word ricer ya doing too much now

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
What are ya even talking about. Why ya trying to bring that 2022 sensitive shit here. Ricer is used for people (mostly Hondas) that try and make their cars look or sound fast but it’s still a piece of shit theirs nothing racist or nothing wrong with the word ricer ya doing too much now
And "Solly, Cholly"? Please inform me how you think it isn't racist.

ChrisTheGod

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha r6, Infiniti q60s conv, 2021 HYDRO RUBI
And "Solly, Cholly"? Please inform me how you think it isn't racist.
Did I say anything about solly cholly? No because I don’t know anything about that or never heard it but ricer I known Heard and said for a long time through car racing car shows so I will defend ricer from people trying to make it into a race thing. Why don’t ya tag the man and straight up be like was you being racist? Was you being funny what you meant by that instead of jumping to conclusions?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Did I say anything about solly cholly? No because I don’t know anything about that or never heard it
I've provided a pretty extensive summary regarding "Solly, Cholly", which you have ironically quoted but still somehow failed to understand. You should try taking the whole post into context, instead of declaring the single word you recognize isn't racist.

but ricer I known Heard and said for a long time through car racing car shows so I will defend ricer from people trying to make it into a race thing.
I don't think saying/hearing a word more makes it any less racist, especially when paired with "Solly, Cholly".

Why don’t ya tag the man and straight up be like was you being racist? Was you being funny what you meant by that instead of jumping to conclusions?
Are you saying it can't be racist if it's intended to be a joke? I disagree.

No need for me to tag the poster. Getting someone to change their opinion is far more productive than getting someone banned, and I'm sure they're watching these replies.
Sponsored