Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

AM1771

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0T
Glad you made it home before borders closed. Please remember to update when you find something with your Jeep issue. Stay healthy and well.
Thanks! Trump already banned EU flights so had to get a little creative, but hey I made it right before EU borders closed and before they put everyone coming off a plane in quarantine!... Thank God
I hate that I didn't get it sorted out, but getting home was more of a priority right now :p I normally take the wheels off and make sure she's low on gas if I'm not in the U.S., but unfortunately didn't have time for that this time...

You guys stay safe and healthy as well, and look out for each other and the weaker / elderly folks out there! ;)

i want to help, I really do..
Appreciate it!

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Stop digging, you've hit bottom. The "Former....mechanic " is accurate enough. Back to your basement, Troll.
Who's trolling who? Geez you dog husbands.

Sponsored

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
(put a TLDR at the bottom cuz I noticed my story's getting kind of long)... sorry

Hey everyone, I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4 door, 2.0 4 cyl turbo) for when Iā€™m in the States. She currently has about 8k miles and is often not used for months when Iā€™m in Europeā€¦

Iā€™m back and left her running in park for not even 2 minutes, and heard the fan was making a lot of noise. I checked the gauge and it was going up crazy fast, it even got red before I could do anything. Digital display maxed out at 122 C (I canā€™t really work Fahrenheit), but thatā€™s about 251 F apparently.

I turned the heat on max but the air coming out wasnā€™t very hot at all.
When I got moving again, the air got burning hot and she immediately went back to normal operating temps.
I kept driving her and if the auto start thing is on, sheā€™s totally fine. But if you turn that off or let her idle, she heats up like crazyā€¦ In the morning, sheā€™s also already at operating temps before I get to the first stop signā€¦ My car at home in Europe (HEMI V8) takes WAY longer to get there?ā€¦
She does go offroad but nowhere near as much as my truck in Europe and she gets cleaned a lot more often. Aside from a little bit of mud, dried grass, evidence of some poor animal I must've squashed flat and dirty tires, everything seems to be pretty clean as well and not in the way of the cooling systemā€¦

Anyone an idea what this could be or anyone else experienced this?
I canā€™t tell if this is a new problem, because last time I drove her I barely had time to enjoy or pay attention to the Jeep, just used her for long highway trips and didnā€™t care about the stop start. This week I mainly had to do heavy city driving but kinda backfired in my face when I turned off the annoying start stop feature when she started overheating... So problem might've been there for longer but you'd never notice if you won't let her idle or use stop/start.

----
TLDR: Jeep overheats when idling or driving very slow (parking garage for example). She will only blow hot air and get back to normal temperatures when moving. Fan comes on on full blast.
You'd never notice if you drive her with stop/start on...

Really appreciate your input!! Thank you!!!
Out of curiosity, did you ever get this fixed? Mine is having the exact same issue. If I drive for 20 min or so and then either run into traffic or sit idle for more than two minutes itā€™s over heating but will cool down as soon as I start driving at a decent speed again.

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The other thing to remember is if it's truly overheating and the coolant level is correct, it'll be pushing coolant out of the coolant cap (which you'll smell and see as it's right in front of the driver). It's only a 21psi cap thus it's right in the range with most passenger cars. In addition to that, there would be a code for implausible coolant temp if it's a thermostat problem. Ironically, that's a big issue with the Pentastar V6 as the thermostat actually opens too soon, so the customer never has the car overheat, it just takes too long to warm up. On some other cars, a slow or stuck thermostat will throw the same code and check engine light.

JeepMomof2

First Name
Karri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Thanks for posting. Did you find a resolution? I am having the same type of issues with my 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 2.0L and getting the dealer run around.

About one month ago my fan randomly would turn on really loud, eventually my temp gauge would spike and drop very quickly (as high as 250 and drop down within 30 seconds to 190ish). I took it into my dealer who told me I had a coolant leak from my lower radiator hose after they pressure tested my radiator (yet no signs of any antifreeze leaking and coolant levels remain normal). They also conducted the power steering recall at the same time. Dealer charged me a diagnostic fee for fan issue as I told them I wanted to get a 2nd opinion before them fixing it.

I took my jeep to my mechanic who said there is no leak and coolant levels are full. About 1 week later check engine light came on as well as ESS and Throttle Stability control warnings. Took back to my dealer, they verified there was indeed no leak in my radiator hose as initially determined, that the issue was a software update was needed. 2 days of no vehicle I finally got my jeep back. Engine lights were gone and no issues. Very next morning I get in my Jeep and drive less than 1/2 mile, engine light ESS, Start/Stop not available and Throttle Stability control warnings come on.

Took back to the dealer, they checked the batteries (both primary and AUX) and said all was fine with batteries. They now say they found that there is a leak in my EGR tube and that the part is backordered. Engine Codes that have popped U1428, U1424, P2173, P06DE, C121C-00, U0401-00, U1850-00 and U1003-00.

If anyone has any experience or guidance that would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

JeepMomof2

First Name
Karri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(put a TLDR at the bottom cuz I noticed my story's getting kind of long)... sorry

Hey everyone, I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4 door, 2.0 4 cyl turbo) for when Iā€™m in the States. She currently has about 8k miles and is often not used for months when Iā€™m in Europeā€¦

Iā€™m back and left her running in park for not even 2 minutes, and heard the fan was making a lot of noise. I checked the gauge and it was going up crazy fast, it even got red before I could do anything. Digital display maxed out at 122 C (I canā€™t really work Fahrenheit), but thatā€™s about 251 F apparently.

I turned the heat on max but the air coming out wasnā€™t very hot at all.
When I got moving again, the air got burning hot and she immediately went back to normal operating temps.
I kept driving her and if the auto start thing is on, sheā€™s totally fine. But if you turn that off or let her idle, she heats up like crazyā€¦ In the morning, sheā€™s also already at operating temps before I get to the first stop signā€¦ My car at home in Europe (HEMI V8) takes WAY longer to get there?ā€¦
She does go offroad but nowhere near as much as my truck in Europe and she gets cleaned a lot more often. Aside from a little bit of mud, dried grass, evidence of some poor animal I must've squashed flat and dirty tires, everything seems to be pretty clean as well and not in the way of the cooling systemā€¦

Anyone an idea what this could be or anyone else experienced this?
I canā€™t tell if this is a new problem, because last time I drove her I barely had time to enjoy or pay attention to the Jeep, just used her for long highway trips and didnā€™t care about the stop start. This week I mainly had to do heavy city driving but kinda backfired in my face when I turned off the annoying start stop feature when she started overheating... So problem might've been there for longer but you'd never notice if you won't let her idle or use stop/start.

----
TLDR: Jeep overheats when idling or driving very slow (parking garage for example). She will only blow hot air and get back to normal temperatures when moving. Fan comes on on full blast.
You'd never notice if you drive her with stop/start on...

Really appreciate your input!! Thank you!!!
Thanks for posting. Did you find a resolution? I am having the same type of issues with my 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 2.0L and getting the dealer run around.

About one month ago my fan randomly would turn on really loud, eventually my temp gauge would spike and drop very quickly (as high as 250 and drop down within 30 seconds to 190ish). I took it into my dealer who told me I had a coolant leak from my lower radiator hose after they pressure tested my radiator (yet no signs of any antifreeze leaking and coolant levels remain normal). They also conducted the power steering recall at the same time. Dealer charged me a diagnostic fee for fan issue as I told them I wanted to get a 2nd opinion before them fixing it.

I took my jeep to my mechanic who said there is no leak and coolant levels are full. About 1 week later check engine light came on as well as ESS and Throttle Stability control warnings. Took back to my dealer, they verified there was indeed no leak in my radiator hose as initially determined, that the issue was a software update was needed. 2 days of no vehicle I finally got my jeep back. Engine lights were gone and no issues. Very next morning I get in my Jeep and drive less than 1/2 mile, engine light ESS, Start/Stop not available and Throttle Stability control warnings come on.

Took back to the dealer, they checked the batteries (both primary and AUX) and said all was fine with batteries. They now say they found that there is a leak in my EGR tube and that the part is backordered. Engine Codes that have popped U1428, U1424, P2173, P06DE, C121C-00, U0401-00, U1850-00 and U1003-00.

Dabrakeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe

We had a problem (with only 1400 miles on the '22 4xe) where the cooling fan would start racing on high and wouldn't turn off until all accessory power would go off on the vehicle (i.e. would be on while driving and continue for a few minutes after turning the vehicle off). Soon after (next day) the fan started coming on even if you opened a door or plugged in the charger. Turned out to be a sensor in the auxiliary coolant pump. Required replacement of the entire auxiliary pump assembly since the bad sensor was part of it. Easy enough fix but waiting for the part took forever. Although a 2.0L turbo I am sure there may be some differences between the PHEV and the 2018.

JeepMomof2

First Name
Karri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My jeep was having a similar issue. Ended up being a slight tear in the EGR tube throwing off all sorts of sensors. This is a known issue with customer satisfaction notice.

JulieSieg

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4cyl Turbo
Thank you all for your replies!! Really appreciate it!!
Sorry it took me so long to reply, kind of had to flee the country with this virus and made it just in time before borders in Europe closed... lol

Thank you! I have a lot of those iPhone OBD scan thingies at home and literally thought about bringing my AlfaOBD tool I use on my RAM in Europe to see if it'd work on the Jeep, but forgot... Doesn't throw a CEL or doesn't even store a message... It heats up, warns me the engine is too hot and then the message goes away as if it's normal for an engine to get that hot :p

Wouldn't it still be able to blow hot air at idle with a stuck thermostat?

This is what I first thought of as well. Does that mean I had this from the day I bought it?
Made an appointment but unfortunately didn't make it with this situation going on...

Ok I agree the 4 cyl is pretty loud, both when cold started and when you rev it (it loves to rev), but it's also a Jeep and I'll enjoy the sounds gas engines make until they force us to drive electric pieces of ****. The sound it makes at higher rpm kind of sounds like a chain or belt, but then again, I might have the eTorque system, so could be that.
Other than that, she's very quick and makes my nat. aspirated truck feel so heavy and sluggish when I'm back home. Weighs just under 6,400 lbs.

I only hope 285 hp won't be too much for a 4 cyl in the long run, but I love her, she's capable, well-built, fun, ready to go on an adventure and I'd rather drive a decent body on frame off-roader than a 300 mpg soda can sized death trap :p

AM1771
Did you figure out what the problem was? I started having this happen while driving in heavy traffic at temps 30 deg F in a snow storm. Thought I might be low on coolant so I had oil changed, fluids checked, new air filter.

Two weeks later, I was idling for no more than 2 mintues as I waited for groceries to be loaded into the back, and the temp spiked again.

Made an appointment at a dealership but they're weeks out from being able to service. All is well if I let the engine turn off automatically at a stop.

I'm a pretty handy old lady - if it's a thermostat I could probably change it out myself with a parts diagram. Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored