Sponsored

103 degrees out -- top back on?

Do you put your top back on and run the A/C when it gets really hot?

• Total voters

okie dokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
We had a wonderful week of weather here in Oklahoma last week but today and for the foreseeable future is 100 plus. Have an alien sunshade and run ac at stops.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I actually have a shade. I cheap'd out, though, and bought a Rugged Ridge $60 top. Maybe I should look into Alien??

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Here is some advice... with science. Lol.

Your body runs about 97-98 degrees. If the external temp is lower than your internal temp a breeze can help remove heat. Convection baby.

Now once the external temp has exceeded your internal temp you are now in a convection oven. Your only means of dissipating heat at this point is evaporation.

In a dry heat low humidity situation sweat evaporation will be effective at removing heat and wind can help with the evaporation. HOWEVER... Evaporation will dehydrate you... fast. Especially in a convection oven.

In a humid situation evaporation will be less effective. Wind still helps. But not as much as the temp and humidity rise.

So... if the humidity is low and you have a massive jug of water do so above 100 with caution. The higher the temp and humidity get the more risky it becomes.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2110959

This was a nice article showing that sweat with convection (fan) is still pretty effective at 80% humidity with temps in the mid 90s. Even at higher temps up to 108 with 50% humidity wind helped. But you’re gonna dehydrate fast. So be careful. We see a lot of heatstroke now a days.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Just habve the top off with a little a/c blowing at you

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I'm in Sacramento, too. The past weekend was HOT, but as we say, "it's a dry heat ." We rarely have noticeable humidity.

I'm glad I have a soft top. I have a Spiderweb shade that works great up to around mid-90s. Above that I put the soft top in safari mode, which is *great*! Having the sun off makes driving doorless in the heat OK. And yep, I will turn on that AC—it helps!

Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I am a fan of doors off + safari mode when it starts pushing well into the 90s.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Shit, i haven't even turned the AC on in this thing yet. Was in the mid 90s and humid as balls for a week straight....doors off and top down the whole time. Summer is short in Chicago!
Truth

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S
FL, hot af. I just got back in town and took the doors off. Honestly as long as the soft top is on I'm fine. The rain is the main issue.

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Sac also but with a soft top. Over 95* the windows go on and A/C on, otherwise safari mode with HVAC off.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
When it is 98 plus I will drive withe top and windows down and crank the A/C just to keep my hand and ankles a bit cooler

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
As Spring comes I'm itching to get my soft top on and open it as soon as the weather is warm enough. With a sunshade it will have to be pretty hot out before I decide it's best to close it and run the A/C, but that time does come for me several times in a Northeast summer. So desiring am I for the experience that I'm one of those Dual Top owners who also runs the Bestop Sunrider product for early Spring and late Fall.

While I feel I could run with the top and windows open at some pretty uncomfortable heat indexes (high heat and humidity) as long as the rig is moving, it's traffic and the longer stop lights that can make it brutal, finding me switching to top down and A/C on.

Of course all bets are off if I'm hauling the girls, particularly if it's "dresses" and not "tee shirts, shorts, and flip flops."

:)

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Speaking of sunshades I really wish one of them had a upf rating.

A t shirt has a UPF of about 5. So most of these I think are lulling people into a false sense of security when it comes to skin cancer.

If/when I get my Jeep I will dual top or skyonetouch so I can run safari mode or close the top to keep the sun off me.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I voted top on. We see maybe 3-4 days at in the 90's, so 103° is just stupid hot. I'd either run the full top with my Sunrider (and windows down), or run topless with the Freedom panels on.
If you keep the top off with only the Freedom panels on, it gives you shade, and you can feel the AC blowing on you. I did it with the windows down, but it would obviously work with the doors off too. When you get to the trail, or open road, you take the panels off and you're naked again.