Sponsored

Do I need to start working out to get this soft top back up?

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Jeez.. I have a 2 door Rubicon and need to get in the backseat to raise the soft top to the front from sunrider position. I'm 5' 4" female. Not that much of a weakling either.. Any other tricks I should know? Brand new Jeep, maybe it need to be worked a bit? Feels like it's 1000 pounds to lift :whew:
Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Jeez.. I have a 2 door Rubicon and need to get in the backseat to raise the soft top to the front from sunrider position. I'm 5' 4" female. Not that much of a weakling either.. Any other tricks I should know? Brand new Jeep, maybe it need to be worked a bit? Feels like it's 1000 pounds to lift :whew:
It may just be a leverage issue given your height. Try it using a step stool maybe? I will say that it’s stiff at first but I’d be surprised if it’s a strength issue. I’m over 6’ tall and I know that doing it from one side takes some effort.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
No need to start working out, just make raising the soft top your workout! It could be like crossfit:

20 minutes AMRAP
5 x soft top raises
5 x spare tire lifts
10 x bumper dips
10 x elevated push-ups (feet on bumper)
100’ jeep push

When you get stronger, upgrade to 37” tires and do the jeep push uphill
:muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

bgirly49

First Name
Bernadette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ Firecracker Red Wrangler Sport JL
I'm a female around the same height and thats EXACTLY what I do ..lol.

OP
OP
Jeepinjack66

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
I'm a female around the same height and thats EXACTLY what I do ..lol.
Lol oh good. I'm glad I'm not alone. Looks a little crazy but hey whatever works! Thanks for the responses all

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
when closing the top, position your strong arm (driver's side if right arm) as far away from the fulcrum as possible to gain leverage, that otherwise gives you the height to get the top to the point beyond which gravity kicks in.

Your being less than a power lifter, and 5'4" both will present challenges--but there's technique involved too.

Do you have running boards. If not, that would help a lot too.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I just had an idea.

Recently I placed some poles in the ground for a project. To keep the poles pointing directly to the sky why the setting material in the ground hardened, I made 3 of these...which is just a "U" hook that you can get at a big box store that screws into a wooden rod, putting them at 180 degree angles to one another

Maybe one of these will give you the height advantage you need.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I use a step stool when I’m home to flip the top back. I’m 5’7” but have a crap shoulder.

OP
OP
Jeepinjack66

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
omg lmao installing posts hahaha good one. I do have the tubular side steps that make me as tall as possible to do this. a step stool doesn't cut it as good as the side steps. the back seat is my best option I gather. I just wanted to know if it was something I didn't know about. now it makes sense all the youtube videos demoing the NEW soft top all the men doing it are over 6 feet tall!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I'm only 5'3" and I stand in the front passenger seat to finish pulling mine up:like: I'd still take this top over my TJs.

Sponsored

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
omg lmao installing posts hahaha good one. I do have the tubular side steps that make me as tall as possible to do this. a step stool doesn't cut it as good as the side steps. the back seat is my best option I gather. I just wanted to know if it was something I didn't know about. now it makes sense all the youtube videos demoing the NEW soft top all the men doing it are over 6 feet tall!
Ha, I noticed that too. I had trouble lowering mine by myself initially, so I went to look it up and watched some video with this dude TOWERING over the jeep. Not helpful. I'm 5'6" so I fall into the mildly vertically challenged category. :) I installed a sunshade, so standing in the back seat isn't an option. The way I do it is by planting a foot just inside the back door, then I use the grab handle to hoist myself up. With the other arm, I grab the top and pull it up. Then I jump down, move to the front door, and reach up to pull the top the rest of the way down. Honestly, you'll figure out a technique that works for you pretty quickly if you practice raising and lowering it. :)

OP
OP
Jeepinjack66

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Ha, I noticed that too. I had trouble lowering mine by myself initially, so I went to look it up and watched some video with this dude TOWERING over the jeep. Not helpful. I'm 5'6" so I fall into the mildly vertically challenged category. :) I installed a sunshade, so standing in the back seat isn't an option. The way I do it is by planting a foot just inside the back door, then I use the grab handle to hoist myself up. With the other arm, I grab the top and pull it up. Then I jump down, move to the front door, and reach up to pull the top the rest of the way down. Honestly, you'll figure out a technique that works for you pretty quickly if you practice raising and lowering it. :)
Oh no. I didn't even think about the issue with using a sunshade! Which I'm just about ready to order. Ugh. Guess I'll try more techniques. Thanks for mentioning that

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Oh no. I didn't even think about the issue with using a sunshade! Which I'm just about ready to order. Ugh. Guess I'll try more techniques. Thanks for mentioning that
Yep. That never crossed my mind. I haven't ordered mine yet either. Lol first world problems :LOL:

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm old and out of shape but I just stand on the running board. Being 5'3" I assume you have boards too.
Sponsored