Sponsored

103 degrees out -- top back on?

Do you put your top back on and run the A/C when it gets really hot?

• Total voters

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Hello, I just got my JLU Sahara with Sky Power Top here in Big D. I found out real quick that going topless when temp at say 88 is borderline. Above 90 and its Texas Furnace like you said. I cannot wait till our Texas winter. I love the cold so I can put coat on and really go Topless a LOT !!! I saw Topless Jeep at red light and temp was 98 and heat index 108 and the driver was wiping wet towel across his face. I was blowing my AC with closed Jeep !!! lol Right now I do most of my Driving topless 6AM going to work. Just too dang hot in Texas.
Texas has three seasons: 2 Falls and a Long Summer.
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Texas has three seasons: 2 Falls and a Long Summer.
Yes, bought mine (a soft top) in April and my top has been on for the last 10 days. The longest it's ever been on. I only have to drive into work two days per week but once the temp hits 93 or above all the time with humidity, the top goes up.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
1. I’m a doctor who works at a cancer center so I see a lot of sad melanoma cases.
2. I’m pale. Like really really pale.
3. I work nights so I rarely see the sun and when I do it lets me know I have zero defense against it. I fry in minutes.
4. Lots of skin cancer in my family.

When I do have to go into the sun it’s usually long shirt and pants that are both UPF 50 rated. I have a giant LL Bean hat.

I loathe sunscreen as the only thing that works for me is zinc. Lots and lots of zinc. Which means everything I touch has white smears on it and my beard looks like I dipped my face in flour. Lol.

I like driving windows down and sunroof open. But I have a long sleeve UPF 50 to protect the arms and only open the sunroof if the sun isn’t on me or I have a hat.

Since I’m considering a hardtop then a UPF sunshade would be amazing. Would live to see someone make layers of mesh to let the air pass through but keep the sun 100% out. I think best option is dual top and safari the soft top.

I mostly just wish they earned people that these tops afford little to no protection from UV.
Hey Doc,

What is the best sunscreen available?

Thanks,

Steve R.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Hey Doc,

What is the best sunscreen available?

Thanks,

Steve R.
The short answer is the one you will use.

The longer answer gets my don’t sue me disclaimer of talk to your doctor who knows your skin conditions and other medical conditions.

With those out of the way I prefer clothing as my first choice and zinc as my second.

Sunscreens come in three basic flavors. Clothing, inorganic (zinc/titanium), and organic (all that crap you can’t pronounce).

UV radiation comes in three main spectrums, UVA1, UVA2, and UVB (the most harmful).

Now sun clothing is the best. It is usually a tightly woven synthetic that wicks moisture and keeps you cooler. Advantages are you never need to reapply, it won’t wash or sweat off, it doesn’t smear on things, and you buy it once. Downfall is you gotta cover everything and you look like a dork.

Inorganic zinc is my go to. These metals are the only thing that blocks the whole spectrum. You’ll always see many ingredients on the organic mixtures to cover all of the UV spectrum and some sunscreens simply don’t cover it all. You need a chart to determine if all 3 spectrums are covered. Zinc/titanium is easier. They are also less irritating, and haven’t been shown to be absorbed or significantly penetrate the skin. However they are greasy and will turn you and everything you touch white.

Organics are my last pick. Recent studies have shown these chemicals in your bloodstream so we know they are getting absorbed. The data on what the long term effects of this aren’t clear but we are sure the sun is worse so it’s not an excuse to not use them. That said zinc has better coverage. Why do people use these? Simple. They blend and won’t change your skin color.

So clothing, zinc, then the rest is my pick. I personally use ThinkSport. Whatever you use use a lot and reapply often. For the average adult one teaspoon each to the face and arms and two teaspoons each to the torso and legs is recommended. Personally I don’t think that’s enough.

Another tip. DONT USE SPRAYS! Many studies have shown these don’t cover well. People spray them on them call it a day but there’s a lot of space between those droplets. If you must use a spray spray it in your hand and rub it on.

If you are in the sun a lot... don’t burn. That’s a sign of significant damage. Do skin checks. Document moles with a picture and date (a coin next to them helps for size comparison) and when in doubt see a dermatologist and get it biopsied.

Remembers. Sunlight is literally standing in front of a nuclear explosion.

Hope that helps.
G.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Mine went back on! Anything over 95 is an endurance test that I don't need. So Cal is grest for no top weather. Just not in this heat!

Sponsored

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Haven’t got my Jeep yet, but in my Miata here in Texas, the answer is it depends. Short trips top down, AC full blast. If I was in a longer 20-30min trip or traffic the top would definitely come up.

Good important talk about the importance of caring for skin. I’m a pasty white dude so I do try to avoid intense prolonged sun without sun protection. Avoid burns at all cost...melanoma is a bad MF, and risk is increased every time you burn. Basal cell and squamous cell cancer are more tied to total sun exposure and will be a giant pain in the ass, and make you look uglier than you already are. I am far from an expert on this, but I did go to (evil?) medical school. In gross anatomy one of the cadavers we had to dissect was a man in his early 30s who died of melanoma. —PSA over.

Really looking forward to the Jeep and imagine I’ll be doing a lot of doors off, safari mode with AC full blast in the summer.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Here I use humidity as my guide...Anything over 70% top up, Unless it is weekend and can wear tank top and shorts.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
UPF clothing has really made a huge difference and isn’t as horrible looking as it used to be. It’s also contrary to what you’d think cooler than shorts and a t shirt.

Tilley makes clothes. They’re pricey but will last decades. Arctic cool makes some basic shirts. Gh Bass has nice looking button ups.

REI has great sales on theirs and just about any outdoor brand or store has UPF rated clothing. Their pants are super thin and comfy. It is usually synthetic so wicks and drys super fast. No need to reapply or smear white crap on everything. You should still apply to your face, back of hands. Back of hands evening forgets and it becomes a cancer target. Back of feet if your doing sandals. I’m a Chaco guy.

I usually just do some in my nose and cheeks with a hat (4” brim). Tilleys are quality but their brims are usually pretty small. LL Bean has a larger one that on a side note ha been crapped on by birds twice.
This /\ . For all the benefits over risks that SPFs provide, the more benign approach is to cover up--garments becoming better at the comfort issues associated with same. In no way would a dermatologist recommend no sunscreen for concern over skin contact with some of the less than completely harmless active ingredients in same, but recent push has been with the protection of space age heat/sweat wicking garments.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Get a J-Top. They are a little pricey, but the straps are well worth it.

20190512_191133.jpg
I use two roach(oops aligator clips)
Connected w/thin line for my boat and any other windy applications to keep my hats on. I spent 16 years in central Florida and 37 years in SoCal. Just at my dermatologist today. My sun days are over.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I live on the edge of Death Valley. When its not unbearably hot we have 30mph + winds full of dirt almost every day. My hard top will probably never come off.

Sponsored

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Central Florida here. I run opposite of what many of my fellow Jeepers from the north run.

Hard top: May-October
Soft top: November-April
Give or take...

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
95 or higher I usually have the top up. My commute home is a lot of stop and go for 45 minutes and the sun gets brutal.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I love driving withe the top down in the 95 plus heat as long as there is a decent breeze. I was driving 40mph through town when I was stopped at a train crossing. I hit the power button to raise the top and start the A/C. Melt down averted!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I ordered a lightweight SPF hoodie that just arrived: https://www.coolibar.com/ I’m looking forward to trying it because I’d like to reduce the chemicals.

It was 101* today and I had to run errands after work (mid-afternoon). I put the soft top in safari mode and that makes a huge difference—love it.

When I had my Miata, the top would be up when it hit mid-90s because the direct sun was too much. The Spiderweb shade and safari mode make doors off doable in the summer.

Love this Jeep!