Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to use the power outlet for a semi-portable compressor and it wouldn't work. It only provides 150 watts, which is really low. I have an external power inverter that provides 200 watts and that wasn't enough power, either. My friend with a Toyota 4runner has a built in outlet in the cargo area that provides 400 watts, and that is the only one that could support the compressor. It's not a big issue now since I installed the ARB twin compressor under the hood, but if I need that outlet for something else down the road, it could be an issue. I can't believe they installed such a lower power outlet. Has anyone upgraded that outlet to more amperage/wattage?

outlet.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
I tried to use the power outlet for a semi-portable compressor and it wouldn't work. It only provides 150 watts, which is really low. I have an external power inverter that provides 200 watts and that wasn't enough power, either. My friend with a Toyota 4runner has a built in outlet in the cargo area that provides 400 watts, and that is the only one that could support the compressor. It's not a big issue now since I installed the ARM twin compressor under the hood, but if I need that outlet for something else down the road, it could be an issue. I can't beleive they installed such a lower power outlet. Has anyone upgraded that outlet to more amperage/wattage?

outlet.jpg
What are you trying to power?

OP
OP
loiacki

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, as I stated, I tried to run a compressor. I no longer need it for that but would just like to have more power in case I ever need it. There is nothing specific in mind at the moment. Just planning ahead.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
150W is pretty standard for in cabin power. Also common to have higher wattage in the rear if equipped. I hard wired a 750W under the passenger seat and ran a power cable under the floor mats to the seats and also to the rear.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Would having that amount of wattage in the cabin be up to safety standards? Is maybe that the limitation?

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Let's assume we acquire a better inverter than factory and run an A/C (alternating current, not air conditioning) line of suitable gauge for the wattage into the rig. What' I'd like to know is for each of the alternators from factory (regular and enhanced with tow package) how much can we draw in wattage and still reasonably have enough juice for the batteries to leave them no less energized than when we cranked?

Of course, this would depend upon other rig appliance's power draw.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My 2014 GMC and my wife's 2013 Flex both have 150w outlets. They're providing 115v outlets for mostly for common electronics use, like laptops. I don't think they foresaw a compressor running in the cab.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Let's assume we acquire a better inverter than factory and run an A/C (alternating current, not air conditioning) line of suitable gauge for the wattage into the rig. What' I'd like to know is for each of the alternators from factory (regular and enhanced with tow package) how much can we draw in wattage and still reasonably have enough juice for the batteries to leave them no less energized than when we cranked?

Of course, this would depend upon other rig appliance's power draw.
I think you can do a simple calculation of the difference in output of the standard alternator vs the optional one. That would give you a very conservative estimate of the minimum reserve current available for the optional alternator.

punkin_JL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Does anyone know the part number for the inverter? Not the outlet but the component that powers the outlet.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
...bump

I found two listings that seem to apply to many Wranglers

MOPAR
Voltage Converter Module - Mopar (68349348AA)
Voltage Converter Module - Mopar (68349353AA)

They are both listed as suitable for the same Wrangler models, but I can not find any specific descriptions.

For example; one may be 12vDC to 110vAC and the other may be 12vDC to 220vAC, but I can not figure out how to tell what the differences actually are.

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
Many of the after-market power inverters, typically around 400 watt +, plug directly into the battery with clippable leads. I carry one out on the trail with me to run an air compressor - and tools that run off the air compressor. Having an air supply out on the trail makes solving problems I encounter much easier.

For light-load things in the cabin, computers & phones etc., I use the Jeep plug that's the topic of this thread.

Hunter
Sponsored