Sponsored

Does anyone know what powertrain the PHEV will have?

herabera

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stretched 1997 TJ on 37's. 2017 Lincoln MKX 2.7T. 2011 RAM Cargo van,
HI there, just wondering if anyone knows what powertrain the PHEV will have? The same as the pacifica? And will there be a rubicon verison? or just Sahara?
Sponsored

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
No one knows anything. There hasnā€™t been anything released yet

Maller

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito!
Jeep might not even know.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
According to the jeep website the PHEV will have the 2.0l DI engine with 8P75PH PHEV Transmission. Googling the 8P75PH transmission indicates some design parameters with regards to its use case with regards to a PHEV application.

https://www.zf.com/products/en/lcv/products_50899.html

Ranges of up to 50 kilometers and a top speed of 120 km/h (74.5 mph) in all-electric mode

Compact electric motor with a peak output of up to 90 kilowatt and 250 newton meter torque

The range of 50km or ~31 miles is roughly the same as what is in the Pacifica so it will likely use a similar sized 16kWh pack that is in the pacifica.

Wrangler PHEV.PNG

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Compact electric motor with a peak output of up to 90 kilowatt and 250 newton meter torque
"Electric motor cooled either by water or transmission oil"

So fording a stream should serve to cool the motor without fear of electrical shorting.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I wonder if this works in tandem with the internal combustion motor. That would be an additional 120 HP & 184 lb-ft of torque...:devil:

Also, I believe this hints at a start-stop system: "Integrated starting element fits into the available installation space"

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
I wonder if this works in tandem with the internal combustion motor. That would be an additional 120 HP & 184 lb-ft of torque...:devil:

Also, I believe this hints at a start-stop system: "Integrated starting element fits into the available installation space"
Yes the motive power for the starter rod is just rotating the electric machine (traction motor) in the opposite direction. This is quite common to save space as it looks like the electric machine is integrated deep into the transmission (coupled directly to flywheel).

If the driver were to jam on the accelerator both would would work in tandem.

On the back of this transmission, there is your common JL transfer case bolted- so that electric machine can power both the front and rear axles.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Yes the motive power for the starter rod is just rotating the electric machine (traction motor) in the opposite direction. This is quite common to save space as it looks like the electric machine is integrated deep into the transmission (coupled directly to flywheel).

If the driver were to jam on the accelerator both would would work in tandem.

On the back of this transmission, there is your common JL transfer case bolted- so that electric machine can power both the front and rear axles.
Yeah, I see where the electric motor is. It was more of a question of IF the programming would allow for both in tandem. I could see them limiting output similar to the diesel (600NM) since the 2.0's 400NM + additional 250 NM is more torque.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
yes the design of this transmission is for the electric motor to provide a boost to the ICE in tandem.... But be aware that that is peak output and likely at 360v nominal with about 13.6kWh usable.

Max power would be about 5-6c (for 3 seconds) with sustained around 3c or about 48kw... This is different than an ICE... as the energy in the battery pack is depleted it will correlate directly to the sustained and peak performance of the vehicle (i.e a vehicle with a near depleted battery will not perform the same as one with a full battery). Bottom line, as voltage sags, performance will be worse.

Sponsored

Night Ryder

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 200, Honda Odyssey
According to the jeep website the PHEV will have the 2.0l DI engine with 8P75PH PHEV Transmission. Googling the 8P75PH transmission indicates some design parameters with regards to its use case with regards to a PHEV application.

https://www.zf.com/products/en/lcv/products_50899.html

Ranges of up to 50 kilometers and a top speed of 120 km/h (74.5 mph) in all-electric mode

The range of 50km or ~31 miles is roughly the same as what is in the Pacifica so it will likely use a similar sized 16kWh pack that is in the pacifica.

Wrangler PHEV.PNG
I dont see this at Jeep.com
Can you share alink?

Night Ryder

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 200, Honda Odyssey
Good find, thanks!
I notice that the Sahara says it comes with 3.73 gearing

TopDown2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The ICE will most likely be a derivative of the 4 cylinder turbo and the cooling is going to be done with a coolant loop using most likely Dexcool. IF they do it properly it will also serve to heat the battery during cold months to preserve its longevity.

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone think there is a chance of them offering a manual transmission?
Sponsored