Sponsored

Uconnect 8.4 and android auto

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
It MIGHT be a radio software issue. I have been noticing issues with carplay. After some back and forth with local dealer and Uconnect team, I was told dealer need to perform TSB 08-084-19 REV. A to update software. Appointment is scheduled this Friday, and I will circle back afterward.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Bringing this back. Just bought a 2020 JLU and have a pixel 3 xl. When I connect it says "device not supported" and then stops charging. At that point it repeats so I can't even plug in to charge.

Really wanted to use Android Auto.

Any suggestions? Soooo frustrating...

Thanks
Hi, can you confirm that you're using the manufacturer supplied cable to connect via Android Auto? To use your Android Auto to its fullest ability be sure to use a Android certified USB cord.

Alison
JeepCares

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
Yes - I've use the cord that came with the phone and about 5 others to check. I get every tome "Devise not supported".

It MIGHT be a radio software issue. I have been noticing issues with carplay. After some back and forth with local dealer and Uconnect team, I was told dealer need to perform TSB 08-084-19 REV. A to update software. Appointment is scheduled this Friday, and I will circle back afterward.
Thanks - keep me posted.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
The 8.4in compatibility with Android Auto is absolutely atrocious. Took it to the dealer and they performed an update, but that fix lasted exactly one drive home before it seemingly reverted back to its old state (CONSTANTLY disconnecting from my phone). This is regardless of the cable being used (really just an excuse Jeep uses).

How do I know its not my phone or my cable?

I travel a lot for work and often rent vehicles during my stays. Just 2 weeks ago rented an inexpensive Kia Soul from Hertz that had Android Auto installed and IT WORKED TO PERFECTION! It did not care when I plugged in, after boot up, before boot up, etc. and never had any disconnect issues. The Waze app, my Pandora, everything worked perfectly! Man, it was amazing.

Guess what? I've also had ZERO problems a couple of occasions where I've rented a Jeep Compass with Android Auto installed (a UConnect product for heaven's sake!) When it works right, its a thing of beauty.

So tell me how economy vehicles like a Kia Soul and a Jeep Compass that cost less than half my fully loaded 2018 JLU Rubicon can get their Android Auto to work with no issues? And yes, I've tried the same cable in my JLUR...

I need to take this thing back to the dealer to see if they can try something else. You really expect better when buying a premium product.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So nobody else having this issue?
I have a 2020 JLUR and did not have any issue
Bringing this back. Just bought a 2020 JLU and have a pixel 3 xl. When I connect it says "device not supported" and then stops charging. At that point it repeats so I can't even plug in to charge.

Really wanted to use Android Auto.

Any suggestions? Soooo frustrating...

Thanks
I'm not having any issues with my 2020 JLUR and a Pixel 3 or Pixel 4 XL. Did you try different ports? I typically use the port in the center console rather than the dash.

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I'm not having any issues with my 2020 JLUR and a Pixel 3 or Pixel 4 XL. Did you try different ports? I typically use the port in the center console rather than the dash.
A different port may be a solution for some (doesn't help my case), but the system was engineered to work with all ports. If you have to seek one that works, then that in itself is a problem IMHO.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A different port may be a solution for some (doesn't help my case), but the system was engineered to work with all ports. If you have to seek one that works, then that in itself is a problem IMHO.
I obviously don't disagree

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tried them all from front to back seat.

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
I've had problems when multiple USB devices are plugged into the system.

Have you tried pressing or reseating the fuses?

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had problems when multiple USB devices are plugged into the system.

Have you tried pressing or reseating the fuses?
Yes, I tried that desperate attempt a month ago. Yes, some did snap more firmly in place, but none seemed so loose that they weren't doing their job. Bravo to those this worked for, but it didn't in my case unfortunately.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TekSupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Pixel 3 here, plugged into the dash, and an ipod plugged into the armrest. Screen popped up 'device not supported'
It worked well enough 2 days ago, so it's an android update or carplay update. Tried several USB-C Cables and ports.

FWIW I had a 2015 BMW and they pretty much stopped supporting the phone (iOS or Android) after about 6 months, there's no money in it for them.
Also it's easier to blame phone manufacturer or the cable.

The next time I have the panels off I might pull/cut the data line one one of the ports, just to use as a charger and see if it throws a code.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pixel 3 here, plugged into the dash, and an ipod plugged into the armrest. Screen popped up 'device not supported'
It worked well enough 2 days ago, so it's an android update or carplay update. Tried several USB-C Cables and ports.

FWIW I had a 2015 BMW and they pretty much stopped supporting the phone (iOS or Android) after about 6 months, there's no money in it for them.
Also it's easier to blame phone manufacturer or the cable.

The next time I have the panels off I might pull/cut the data line one one of the ports, just to use as a charger and see if it throws a code.
Yeah, BMW not supporting, imagine that. Funny thing is, I've had great results using my Android phone and Android Auto flawlessly in economy vehicles I've used. I think some of these manufacturers are overcomplicating this crap. Need to go back to using the K.I.S.S. method.

Indeed, the problem in our 8.4s probably arose from trying to get all of our USB ports to fully function. The reality is we only need one functioning USB to interface with the screen and entertainment system, and the rest of the ports should be dummy charging only stations. Seriously, I don't need my 12 year old trying to control my Pandora or Waze apps from the backseat, but its nice he can charge his phone back there. Get me?

Last edited:

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If be happy if even one worked for me. I use an old fashioned cigarette charger USB so I can charge my phone.

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well it seems to be a Pixel thing. I factory reset and still no go. A Samsung and Motorola phone did. I wonder if Uconnect is not compatible with Android 10 yet.

Anyone having it work with a phone on Android 10?

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Well it seems to be a Pixel thing. I factory reset and still no go. A Samsung and Motorola phone did. I wonder if Uconnect is not compatible with Android 10 yet.

Anyone having it work with a phone on Android 10?
My Galaxy Note 10+ works fine, for the most part. I have it connected with the stock USB cable to the port in the armrest.
Sponsored