Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn’t change. BSG doesn’t add overall- torque, it only provides extra torque during initial take off.
It also adds some when shifting.
Also when a load is developed, it will stop charging to reduce the drag from charging.
With Cruise Control and descending it will add a load to maintain speed.

Yellow_Rubi-can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Also when a load is developed, it will stop charging to reduce the drag from charging.
With Cruise Control and descending it will add a load to maintain speed.
So if the torque and HP numbers are the same, the dyno graph would be a little different before 1500 RPM. Therefore it means that the only difference is the MPG, if any... Sacrifice MPG for less complexity.. makes sense

The BSG was complicated but it offered better MPG.. People feared it would break on the trail and loose the bonus under 1500 RPM so FCA basically broke it for us from the factory and we are calling it an upgrade??

Wouldn't it be better to get a 19 Rubicon WITH BSG and drive it like it is until it breaks on the trail and THEN and only then.. loose the better MPG?? Or am i missing something here

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So if the torque and HP numbers are the same, the dyno graph would be a little different before 1500 RPM. Therefore it means that the only difference is the MPG, if any...
Yep, but dyno graphs will not show that low. So how much of the claimed 70 lb-ft actually shows up we don’t know. The generator only produces around 20 lb-ft then relies on a belt driven ~3:1 gear reduction to boost output.

Correct that BSG probably has minimal effect on mpg for the little 2.0L. It only adds 2/1 mpg on the 5.7L

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am waiting for the first of the 2.0-non-BSG to show up on the dealer lots. I am quite sure that this engine is the one I want but, I want to take a spin with it before I buy. Just call me old school!

Sponsored

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
So if the torque and HP numbers are the same, the dyno graph would be a little different before 1500 RPM. Therefore it means that the only difference is the MPG, if any... Sacrifice MPG for less complexity.. makes sense

The BSG was complicated but it offered better MPG.. People feared it would break on the trail and loose the bonus under 1500 RPM so FCA basically broke it for us from the factory and we are calling it an upgrade??

Wouldn't it be better to get a 19 Rubicon WITH BSG and drive it like it is until it breaks on the trail and THEN and only then.. loose the better MPG?? Or am i missing something here

This unicorn doesn’t have an alternator. If the BSG breaks you will have no way to
Charge the 48v pack that is feeding your batteries

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This unicorn doesn’t have an alternator. If the BSG breaks you will have no way to
Why do you consider it a Unicorn? It actually exists.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I thought it actually placed a load on the motor during shifts to get the RPM to drop faster (so that it could get to the next gear quicker).

Uniquely special and rarely in it’s species
But Jeep still offers it... you can still purchase it with the Sahara.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I thought it actually placed a load on the motor during shifts to get the RPM to drop faster (so that it could get to the next gear quicker).

But Jeep still offers it... you can still purchase it with the Sahara.
That could be, I know it does something when shifting.
A co-worker drove mine to compare her steering issue and she said it shifted smoother.

Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
My window sticker states engine built in Italy.
My 2019 engine was built in the USA, my 2018 listed Italy as country of origin. Both listed as DOHC.
While there may be weight savings without the BSG equipment, I would think the low end performance and drivebility would still suffer unless there's transmission shift point changes.

upload_2019-7-17_12-14-4.png
upload_2019-7-17_12-14-34.png
upload_2019-7-17_12-22-40.png

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I would think the low end performance and drivebility would still suffer unless there's transmission shift point changes.
A looser torque converter (higher stall speed) would make up the difference.

Yellow_Rubi-can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I see!! I didn't think about that! So If the BSG version doesn't have an alternator then yeah the non-BSG would definitely be more "trail worthy" if you could call it that because thats one less thing to hit and break on the trail..
I have done my fair share of wheeling here in AZ to know that it wouldn't take to long to hit the BSG components on the trail and definitely break the system or the lines going to it..

Maybe thats what they were thinking with this change.

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
I see!! I didn't think about that! So If the BSG version doesn't have an alternator then yeah the non-BSG would definitely be more "trail worthy" if you could call it that because thats one less thing to hit and break on the trail..
I have done my fair share of wheeling here in AZ to know that it wouldn't take to long to hit the BSG components on the trail and definitely break the system or the lines going to it..

Maybe thats what they were thinking with this change.

Skid plates is a easy fix for that. I would like to know why the removal. Doesn’t make sense to me.
Sponsored