bealestpatron

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I’m curious to know the downsides to the two options: Hooke v Fabtech

The Hooke is less expensive on Amazon, but I was initially more impressed with the looks of the Fabtech. Anyone who has either, anything you don’t like about it?
Sponsored

WheezysJL

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Are there any options that will work with both a soft top and a hardtop?

Gadsden11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport

The Hooke is less expensive on Amazon, but I was initially more impressed with the looks of the Fabtech. Anyone who has either, anything you don’t like about it?
I have the hooke and overall I'm impressed with the quality of the construction and ease of install. My personal preference would be to have it sit 1/2 - 3/4 inch higher so it will accommodate my current camping gear storage two high. But that's just current setup and could easily be changed. I would also like to see the rear facing portion to be cut down a bit to make putting larger items onto the shelf from the rear of the vehicle. The other super minor and easily fixable thing is I would like to have wing nuts or some other quick removal device for the rack. Again a cheap easy fix That being said I am happy I got it and I have no regrets

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL

I have the Hooke and for the money i have been very pleased with it. I raised mine about 1.25" to clear the ARB. I will have a better report when i get back from my trip.

img_1253-jpg.jpg

bealestpatron

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Thanks all. I went with the Hooke. Hopefully it will ship sooner rather than later!

Sponsored

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
Mine shipped quick. I got it about 4 days after ordering

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Hooke and for the money i have been very pleased with it. I raised mine about 1.25" to clear the ARB. I will have a better report when i get back from my trip.

img_1253-jpg.jpg
Very nice setup. Can you show the picture of what you used to raise the rack? Also, you seem to have lost your rear bumper... :LOL:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have a fabtech shelf and can say it's one of the best mods to the jeep - i'm also loading a stroller, 1 year old and wife typically on weekends but it's made my life a million times easier and has great height
Jeep Mikey:

I am trying to figure out if I could use this shelf as a bit of a “prying eyes” theft deterrent for stuff on the floor of the cargo area under this shelf. I know that this shelf is NOT designed to secure items from theft. But, if folks can’t see it in the enclosed Jeep, they might not wish to bust in to steal it.

so, question: how much space between the rear seat and the edge of the shelf. Also. How much space with the edge of the shelf and the tailgate. And how visible is the floor of the cargo area under the shelf through the side windows?

thanks in advance with any help.

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Jeep Mikey:

I am trying to figure out if I could use this shelf as a bit of a “prying eyes” theft deterrent for stuff on the floor of the cargo area under this shelf. I know that this shelf is NOT designed to secure items from theft. But, if folks can’t see it in the enclosed Jeep, they might not wish to bust in to steal it.

so, question: how much space between the rear seat and the edge of the shelf. Also. How much space with the edge of the shelf and the tailgate. And how visible is the floor of the cargo area under the shelf through the side windows?

thanks in advance with any help.
There is an 8 inch gap between my Fabtech tray and the tailgate window. Only about 1 inch between the tray and the top of the rear seats.

Sponsored

stingGreyNJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2013 JK (gone)
Does anybody have the interior basket dimensions for the Hooke or the Ace Engineering. Having a hard time finding that and what to see how my current baskets with fit.

Re: Hooke
Are the side wings in the Hook identical or can you swap left and right sides and play with the placement fore and aft in the cargo area?

Re: Ace
Can the soft top fold down with it in place or is that just a no go for both of them?

Frankly, I'll be sleeping under it and the real question I don't know the answer to is if my shins/calves need the higher clearance of the hook or will the Ace (and more cargo space above) suffice. I'll probably rig up the car with some rope between the hard top bolts and see if i can get away with the lower clearance. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

--StingGreyNJ

stingGreyNJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2013 JK (gone)
Did you ever get one to work with the hard top and soft top?
Some racks use the soft top mounts to attach to the JL roll bars. The fabtech and my hooke road both attach where the hard top mounts to the tub. (New? Hooke Road or maybe they make two models? attach where the softop mounts to roll bars). You can use either of the tub mount racks with soft top you just may not be able to put the top down all the way. You could still take out back window, side windows and flip the top back no matter what. Just that last step of lowering the top might not work perfectly.

Frankly, I'm looking to sell my Hooke Road and build something so if you're in the NE/Mid Atlantic and want to check it out LMK.

hjr2122

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Some racks use the soft top mounts to attach to the JL roll bars. The fabtech and my hooke road both attach where the hard top mounts to the tub. (New? Hooke Road or maybe they make two models? attach where the softop mounts to roll bars). You can use either of the tub mount racks with soft top you just may not be able to put the top down all the way. You could still take out back window, side windows and flip the top back no matter what. Just that last step of lowering the top might not work perfectly.

Frankly, I'm looking to sell my Hooke Road and build something so if you're in the NE/Mid Atlantic and want to check it out LMK.
Yeah, that's what I thought and what I am noticing as well. It looks like for now, will need to be custom. A bit too far for me (in Texas) but thanks for the offer. Keep me posted if you find a solution or fab one up yourself.

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr ; 2019 Winnebago Navion
Finally a quality, affordable and lightweight ALUMINUM interior storage rack for us (bad ass) 2 door JL owners !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09NCW9M3B?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Step 1: Throw away back seat (No one wants to sit back there anyway).
Step 2: Ignore Amazon description as a 4dr product.
Step 3: Throw away directions - you will be installing it backwards.
Step 4: Drill the thinner mounting brackets (using a 5/16” drill) 3/8” inward from the existing mounting holes.
Step 5: Drill the wider mounting brackets centered 15 inches forward of the holes you drilled in step four, but centered only 3/8” from the outside edge of the bracket.
If you did this step right these holes will be more ‘outboard’ than the existing mounting holes.
Step 6: Mount the brackets using the existing hardtop screws and bolt-in the basket using the provided hardware. I took someone else’s suggestion and used gaffer tape to protect contact surfaces and insulate for any metal to metal vibrations.

Once I had the whole thing bolted up it was solid as a rock. I literally could shake the entire jeep without one nanometer of rattle ;)
Step 7: Self-congratulate. You owe yourself a trip to Moab.

UPDATE: Buy the Walmart Sterilite under-bed storage container to put inside. Fits perfectly !!
BONUS: Use 24” rubber straps to secure you traction boards underneath!!! Mine do not budge !!!

Tip: (Tuck in a plastic garbage bag to cover them in case I have to use them, till u have a chance to hose them clean)

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice needed about cargo area shelf F9AC3CCB-254C-49A9-80CA-AE0FC50F7C30
Sponsored

Last edited: