First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Lift is done and I'm still looking for a setup to haul the new spare tire. Any updated news on the @TeraFlex Alpha tailgate reinforcement?

%JMz5siMR7+PtcHarST5Gg.jpg
Update is that we will for sure be coming out with an Alpha Hinge for the JL. Currently in R&D and there is unfortunately no ETA . I will try to update as I get fed information.

-Jake
TeraFlex Multi-Media Communication
Sponsored

WranglerRyan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ
Update is that we will for sure be coming out with an Alpha Hinge for the JL. Currently in R&D and there is unfortunately no ETA . I will try to update as I get fed information.

-Jake
TeraFlex Multi-Media Communication
Does that go for the Alta rack and accessories also? Any chance the existing rack will mount to the new Alpha Hinge when it's out?

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
I went Rugged Ridge. Best price and good up to 40s.

MedicalCowboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Pipefitter
I finished installing the Barricade rear bumper and tire carrier this weekend. I'm running 35s on a Mopar lift. Instructions estimated 2 hours, 6-7 was probably more realistic due to fabrication and problem solving. Some minor drilling and creativity, nothing terrifying, but time consuming and fairly frustrating. Overall I am happy with the end result, but a little more due diligence on the part of the manufacturer could have made this install MUCH easier and potentially cleaner looking.

PROS
  • Solid construction. Once its all put together its super solid and there is no sagging or bouncing
  • Provides all of the components to accommodate relocating the backup camera, third brake light and a mounting bracket with LEDs for license plate. This seems to be somewhat rare for those of us with a backup camera.
  • Somewhat modular. Allows for multiple configurations/locations for mounting license plate and gaskets/metal plates to fill any holes you don't use.
  • The entire assembly swings very easy with the help of two bearings. I has heard that the one for the JK was difficult to swing until it was broken in a bit, but that is not the case with this one. Very easy to use.
CONS
  • Frustrating that the way the frame holes were punched made a super clean electrical install impossible for running wires inside the carrier. they kept getting hung up and the holes were not small enough to accommodate the wiring harness included.
  • Had to drill holes just to make an opening to run the backup camera wire. literally impossible not to.
  • Instructions were vague and skipped steps that would have made installation MUCH easier. Here's an easy one. Don't fully tighten down the four bolts securing the pin to the bumper until it is all put together with the weight of the tire to see how the hinge will line up. Same thing for the "keyhole" that the latch aligns to. Very minor shifts in how it bolts to the bumper translate to big changes in the latch alignment.
  • Components that were included made it obvious that whoever chose them has never actually installed this on a JL. For instance, the backup camera harness they include is male/male and needs to be male/female. I ended up using the OEM one since it was barely long enough.
  • Electrical connectors were incorrect and required me to shave down some of the plastic tabs and tape them together so they would line up.

Here is a link to it on ExtremeTerrain. Keep in mind you'll also need the Barricade bumper. https://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-extreme-hd-tire-carrier-2018-jeep-jl-jeep.html

IMG-9241.JPG

IMG-9242.JPG

IMG-9243.JPG

IMG_9245.jpg
Do you notice any shaking or vibration with yours?

Meatwad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
Do you notice any shaking or vibration with yours?
I didn't once I got all 6 of the mounting bolts on. The instructions were lacking to say the least, and i was missing some bolts/washers, so I had missed a couple of bolts initially. Its all good now and seems pretty solid.

Sponsored

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
Does that go for the Alta rack and accessories also? Any chance the existing rack will mount to the new Alpha Hinge when it's out?
We are hoping to bring a lot of the JK accessories over to the JL, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
We are hoping to bring a lot of the JK accessories over to the JL, but nothing has been confirmed yet.
Just installed the JL tire carrier on my jlur with oem steel bumpers and the park distance sensors. My 37 inch spare is nice and tight against the tailgate and the sensors now work flawlessly. The new tire carrier is a great product.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Tire carrier for 40's...

Thought it might be tough to keep a 40" on the tailgate, though I just installed the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier (on top of the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement Kit), and couldn't be more impressed with the "adjust-ability" factor.

With a slight modification, I extended the camera arm an extra inch (trying not to giggle), allowing me a much clearer view of my surroundings, and less inner rim. Note that there's a low-profile, CHMSL mount included.

This configuration allowed me to close the huge gap that the stock Mopar Carrier/Reinforcement plates created. Tailgate opens/closes very easily, too.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-jlu-alpha-hd-adjustable-spare-tire-mounting-kit-complete-5x5

Purchased through NorthRidge4X4 with a coupon code.

Teraflex Alpha HD.jpg

20190706_130048.jpg

20190706_130139.jpg

20190706_130156.jpg

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
I went Rugged Ridge. Best price and good up to 40s.
I went with the Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Kit from @Northridge 4X4. With the forum discount, the kit came out to $399 shipped/no tax. The only thing is the kit won't be delivered until August. If you check out Northridge 4X4 site, Rugged Ridge is now throwing in a LED disc third brake light with the kit. Forum discount didn't apply though.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I know Tera flex used to make the one for Mopar for the JKs then Mopar changed it up just a little and made it their own for the JL but really stole it from Tera flex. Thats what the guy at Terra Flex told me

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
One of the big issues I'm seeing with the over sized tire carriers out there is very few are taking into consideration people that do Axle Swaps.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
One of the big issues I'm seeing with the over sized tire carriers out there is very few are taking into consideration people that do Axle Swaps.
It seems that most of the folks I know who've upgraded their axles (60's) are using the GenRight carrier.

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
It seems that most of the folks I know who've upgraded their axles (60's) are using the GenRight carrier.
Yeah that's the best and only real option out there that I've seen since the DV8 swing out carrier only excepts a maximum width of 12.50. Most 40's are a minimum of 13.50 so that rules out DV8.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
I went with the Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Kit from @Northridge 4X4. With the forum discount, the kit came out to $399 shipped/no tax. The only thing is the kit won't be delivered until August. If you check out Northridge 4X4 site, Rugged Ridge is now throwing in a LED disc third brake light with the kit. Forum discount didn't apply though.
Yeah I ordered mine through Northridge too but received an email that it was backordered so I cancelled and bought from a local shop who had it in stock for a lot more money. I was going to the Jeep Bantom run so I needed it sooner. Love it so far but I noticed I'm starting to get a little rattle or it's just the first time I took a trip in it with the radio off. Either way I love it.
Sponsored