Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Matt, appreciate the feedback. Looks like the electrical work burned most of the time. A few questions please:
  • In order to get the bumper level, did you have to grind off any welding seams or the like? Or did it slide right in?
  • Any hints on making removing the backup camera out of the stock housing less of a PTA?
  • I am not sure what to do with the recessed lights yet. If I install them later, will I have to take the bumper off again? It looks from the photos as if they are mounted from the rear?
Cheers, Peter
Just adding my experiences as well...

I did not have to do any grinding or anything to get the bumper level. It slid on an as I tightened things up I kept checking and didn't have any problems.

I didn't have a problem getting the camera out of the housing, but I went slowly.

If you are going to be installing lights in the bumper at some point my advice is to take the time to run the wiring for it during the bumper install. At the very least you could tie the wires off inside the mounting hole and then cover up with blanks. I used the frame rail to run the 12V from the engine compartment aux switch leads all the way back, and for me this was much easier with the bumper off.

In my opinion the hardest part about installing this bumper/tire carrier is the wiring, which is really not hard as much as it is time-consuming. I really took my time doing it, running everything through split wire loom, soldering and shrink wrapping all connections, and I did spend quite a bit of time just figuring out the best way to run it, grounding points, etc. But if you take your time you can get it all done, probably in a weekend or even a long day. I ended up doing it in 2 phases: bumper (which included all the wiring for the lights, and then phase 2 was the carrier and 3rd brake light/camera wiring. I split the phases across 2 days.

Here are some pics from my install, showing the wiring for the lights and license plate bolt LEDs, and then after it was all done.

IMG_2188.png

IMG_2192.png

IMG_2193.png

IMG_2194.png

IMG_2195.png

IMG_2196.png

IMG_2197.png

IMG_2204.png

IMG_2207.png
Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Just adding my experiences as well...

I did not have to do any grinding or anything to get the bumper level. It slid on an as I tightened things up I kept checking and didn't have any problems.

I didn't have a problem getting the camera out of the housing, but I went slowly.

If you are going to be installing lights in the bumper at some point my advice is to take the time to run the wiring for it during the bumper install. At the very least you could tie the wires off inside the mounting hole and then cover up with blanks. I used the frame rail to run the 12V from the engine compartment aux switch leads all the way back, and for me this was much easier with the bumper off.

In my opinion the hardest part about installing this bumper/tire carrier is the wiring, which is really not hard as much as it is time-consuming. I really took my time doing it, running everything through split wire loom, soldering and shrink wrapping all connections, and I did spend quite a bit of time just figuring out the best way to run it, grounding points, etc. But if you take your time you can get it all done, probably in a weekend or even a long day. I ended up doing it in 2 phases: bumper (which included all the wiring for the lights, and then phase 2 was the carrier and 3rd brake light/camera wiring. I split the phases across 2 days.

Here are some pics from my install, showing the wiring for the lights and license plate bolt LEDs, and then after it was all done.

IMG_2188.png

IMG_2192.png

IMG_2193.png

IMG_2194.png

IMG_2195.png

IMG_2196.png

IMG_2197.png

IMG_2204.png

IMG_2207.png
Thanks Nathan, the wiring certainly looks professionally done. I will start that before the bumper even arrives.
I very much appreciate you sharing your install, that is super helpful. This forum is awesome because it is made up of awesome people!

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me chime in a bit about my experience. The worst part about the wiring was getting that panel off in the jeep to route the camera wire. I managed to pop just the back loose and route the camera cable underneath and into that rubber bushing. I am not sure how much time I saved as popping the panel back in without bending it so much it broke was a PITA. Might want to just remove the speaker grill and everything to get the panel off.

I did not have to grind anything to get the bumper level.

I also had no problems getting the camera out of the stock housing. Just use the correct tools.

Can't answer for the lights. I have gone back in that hole for the lights after the bumper was installed to adjust the parking sensors and had plenty of room to work in there to do that.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Rob, very helpful to get your input. Let me say it again: this forum is awesome because it is made up of awesome people!

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Thanks Matt, appreciate the feedback. Looks like the electrical work burned most of the time. A few questions please:
  • In order to get the bumper level, did you have to grind off any welding seams or the like? Or did it slide right in?
  • Any hints on making removing the backup camera out of the stock housing less of a PTA?
  • I am not sure what to do with the recessed lights yet. If I install them later, will I have to take the bumper off again? It looks from the photos as if they are mounted from the rear?
Cheers, Peter
I did not have to grind anything it will slide on and then you can adjust it if needed. Mine was really level almost straight away.
You can install the lights later, I’d just do it all at same time but that’s just me. You’ll already have tail light off and I did CB at same time as well since trim was off inside as well. Just get it all done at once. IMO

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not have to grind anything it will slide on and then you can adjust it if needed. Mine was really level almost straight away.
You can install the lights later, I’d just do it all at same time but that’s just me. You’ll already have tail light off and I did CB at same time as well since trim was off inside as well. Just get it all done at once. IMO
Thanks for all the good advice Matt. I put my order in today, now I hope that they will ship soon.

Sponsored

RAZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara, Granite Crystal
Vehicle Showcase
Made my own reverse light wiring. I just tapped into the trailer wiring harness behind the passenger tail light. Power draw on the B/U lights is low and work great.
Do you happen to recall which wire you tapped on the harness?

RZ

Gogged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Do you happen to recall which wire you tapped on the harness?

RZ
I ran power from the auxiliary buttons up front. Planned on towing a trailer so not messing w tow wires.

RAZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara, Granite Crystal
Vehicle Showcase
White and orange in the trailer wiring harness behind the passenger tail light.
You have the factory harness? I used the mopar kit and have two white with an orange trace cables. Tapped one and it turned on with the headlights/trail lights. Trying to avoid wrecking a second cable.

RZ

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
You have the factory harness? I used the mopar kit and have two white with an orange trace cables. Tapped one and it turned on with the headlights/trail lights. Trying to avoid wrecking a second cable.

RZ
Yes factory harness. Look at the wiring diagrams on the forum. Did you follow the trailer harness back to the tail light area. Worked like a charm for me. Good luck.

Sponsored

RodneyTSU10

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2018 Mercedes GLC, 2018 Ford Expidition
Anyone else have a rattling where you latch the tire carrier onto the tailgate? It’s driving me insane!!

rameyer84

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F350, Hyundai Sante Fe, 2018 JLUR Mojito!
Anyone else have a rattling where you latch the tire carrier onto the tailgate? It’s driving me insane!!
No rattling. Read the adjustment instructions again, watch the video on how to adjust and try adjusting the latching mechanism again. Something is wrong if it rattles.

RodneyTSU10

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No rattling. Read the adjustment instructions again, watch the video on how to adjust and try adjusting the latching mechanism again. Something is wrong if it rattles.
Thank you, I will check it out!!

RodneyTSU10

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your still having trouble feel free to give us a call!

Thank you I appreciate it. Do you guys have the YouTube link? I have searched but can’t find anyone on how to adjust the latch.
Sponsored