LOD Destroyer Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier - Install Help and Advice

bugnuker

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Buick Skylark
I recently bought and installed the LOD Destroyer Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier on my 2024 JLUR.

I have some things to note that will hopefully help future customers of this product, and I am in need of some help as well.

First things first - my Jeep is a 2024 Rubicon X, 35 inch tire package. When you get this package, it comes with the Mopar gate reinforcement for the bigger 35 inch tire. This is NOT COMPATIBLE with the LOD Tire Carrier. You must have a stock setup - and it's not just as simple as removing the Mopar gate reinforcement - no no. You need the standard carrier, shorter bolts, hinge bolts, etc.

So if you are considering buying this setup, be sure you do not have some other tire carrier. Or, if you do, be sure you have the stock bolts for the carrier to the gate, and the stock bolts for the hinge bracket.

Next is the backup camera relocation - this is where I am looking for some help.
I bought the relocation kit but I am not able to find a good way to wire the relocation extension wire. I have removed the panel on the tailgate, and I can see the wire, but it goes into a panel on the rear passenger side and I am unable to get that to go anywhere.

Has anyone else installed the backup camera relocation for LOD bumper? Can you share how you wired it up?

I'll continue to update this thread with pictures and other things I have learned along the way, as well as install videos that I used that helped me out.

LOD does not have an install video for this - they have one for the JK, and it's somewhat similar, but you should not rely on it. with the JK, you had to drill into the frame. Not with the JL. Simple things like this difference are important :D
Sponsored

steve65

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I put one on my 2020 JLU. its been a while, but as i recall you need to pull the plastic off the rear quarter panel inside take off the plastic covering the tail gate and take out the brake light on that side. the connection is made inside the tailgate and then the new cable runs from there. i pulled off the tape that seals the ends of the tubular nylon umbilical that protects the wires to the tailgate and pushed the cable through there, then re taped it. the cable runs through a hole under the quarter panel plastic.(follow the tail light wires I think) and pops out behind the tail light. it then goes through a plastic grommet at the bottom of the tail light well...as I recall you need to punch a hole in this and pops out under the jeep. run it up and to the tire carrier and secure it using the self tapping screws supplied. It's a pain in the ass but once its done its very clean.

BTW if you are putting a license plate/third brake light relocation on to the spare tire or want to in the future do run a wire for the third brake light at the same time while its all open

OP
OP
bugnuker

bugnuker

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Buick Skylark
I put one on my 2020 JLU. its been a while, but as i recall you need to pull the plastic off the rear quarter panel inside take off the plastic covering the tail gate and take out the brake light on that side. the connection is made inside the tailgate and then the new cable runs from there. i pulled off the tape that seals the ends of the tubular nylon umbilical that protects the wires to the tailgate and pushed the cable through there, then re taped it. the cable runs through a hole under the quarter panel plastic.(follow the tail light wires I think) and pops out behind the tail light. it then goes through a plastic grommet at the bottom of the tail light well...as I recall you need to punch a hole in this and pops out under the jeep. run it up and to the tire carrier and secure it using the self tapping screws supplied. It's a pain in the ass but once its done its very clean.

BTW if you are putting a license plate/third brake light relocation on to the spare tire or want to in the future do run a wire for the third brake light at the same time while its all open
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Do you have any pictures of the wire install?

I've taken the plastic piece off that covers the plastic bolt that holds the light in place. After that, does that whole panel somehow come off?

tony58

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door rubicon,77 fj40,2010gt500,2021f250
Shane, thinking of that bumper, carrier on a 2024 2 door Rubicon, I do have the Mopar gate reinforcement plate. Since they supply a new tailgate plate why would I need a standard carrier and hinge bolts, I did call them, and they said it would fit. If all I need is shorter bolts that would be ok. How do you like your bumper so far? I do like how you can disconnect the carrier from the gate, did you look at any other carriers that do that? Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
bugnuker

bugnuker

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Buick Skylark
Shane, thinking of that bumper, carrier on a 2024 2 door Rubicon, I do have the Mopar gate reinforcement plate. Since they supply a new tailgate plate why would I need a standard carrier and hinge bolts, I did call them, and they said it would fit. If all I need is shorter bolts that would be ok. How do you like your bumper so far? I do like how you can disconnect the carrier from the gate, did you look at any other carriers that do that? Thanks for your help!
Hey there

The Mopar Reinforcement kit uses different sized bolts to screw into the tailgate. These then expose other bolt holes to screw that kit together.

You have to remove the reinforcement kit to use the LOD Destroyer tire carrier, and replace with their plate. When you remove the reinforcement kit, you'll find you no longer have the correct bolt length to screw in the hinges again without the extra width of the reinforcement kit.

Therefore, you need the standard 4 bolts that all other jeeps have that comes without the reinforcement kit. You don't need the plate or anything else, you just need the standard bolts that normally are there.

I ordered 4 from Mopar parts here on the forum. There are like 2 bucks each.

The bumper is great so far. No issues. I checked all other brands and LOD seems to be the strongest with the most accessories available. There are other kits out there, for cheaper, but they are not nearly as "overbuilt" and they don't have all the accessories yet that LOD supplies.

I just added Jerry cans to the tire carrier yesterday.

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Destroyer Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier - Install Help and Advice 1705843521955

Sponsored

tony58

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks very much for all that information do you know what size the bolts are? Your jeep looks great with the cans on, and I do believe those lod bumpers are a great bumper, thanks again!

OP
OP
bugnuker

bugnuker

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Buick Skylark
Thanks very much for all that information do you know what size the bolts are? Your jeep looks great with the cans on, and I do believe those lod bumpers are a great bumper, thanks again!
These are the ones I ordered after speaking with Mopar Parts from this forum:

https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-torx-bolt-6512276aa

I have not put them in yet - I am still using the bolts from my brothers JL because I gave him my Mopar reinforcement kit and he no longer needed his bolts, but they are body color painted and he has a Mojito Green JL and mine is Sarge Green, so I ordered replacements that I plan to paint black and replace.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

tony58

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thank you very much and enjoy your jeep!
Sponsored