Sponsored

Smaller Key Fob

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
The key fob from MOPAR is about, to my measurement, 2-7/8" tall, by 1-11/16" wide by 9/16" thick.

The Container Store box is, as stated 2-3/8"x1-3/4"x1/2"h, so it is smaller and feels so, particular because it's thinner. One of Its dimensions is more like an 1/8" shorter at 2-1/4": not a big deal I'm the first to admit.

It just barely encapsulates the electronics without the key, so it's going to be smaller, in fact I think people would be hard pressed to find a smaller container for the electronics alone.

The box provides a relatively rigid container against basic crushing that would definitely not be useful "to jack you tires with," but the box cover is flexible enough that it can be finger pressed and easily actuate the buttons beneath, while keeping the electronics water proof, and while not go off accidentally in your pocket--even if cramped.

That it's unfinished...? Its a $2.00 solution to those who complain, and there have been many, that the fob's too big for their pocket. Your pocket won't mind what it looks like. : - )

Paint it, put stickers on it, don't use it, wait for Adam Trunkey's solution to come out with his replacement fob: which will be larger, more pricey, sturdier, more stylish, and probably still also won't jack any tires. I know I'm going to try it out while I stick with my previously mentioned Gibson holster, until maybe summer makes my wish for a smaller key and this solution more alluring.

If it's not for you, that's cool. If you want to build on the idea, great. If you want to take another direction, or no direction at all: go for it. : - )

Like I said above, it may not be your cup of tea. (It may not even be mine all the time.) This is about giving people options and knowledge; not forcing them.

Maybe you want to carry just a physical key, or hide a dead fob in your rig and press the start button with it, or an energized one in a Faraday bag. It's all good! There are excellent posts here on that.

Some pictures for size comparison follow. I wish I had the proximity locks someone above wrongly said this only works with. Cheers and peace.

IMG_2926.JPG
IMG_2927.JPG
IMG_2928.JPG

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So how exactly does this work without proximity locks? Never said I wish I had them here just not seeing how it works without.

It is easier to see the size with your pictures now. They really should make a smaller version just for this purpose.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So how exactly does this work without proximity locks?
Please look at the last picture of my OP. In it you will see three tiny black dots under the case cover. Those three dots are the fob's buttons for, from left to right: door open, close, and panic.

Normally, these small buttons interface with the big buttons on the fob's casing. As a non proximity lock owner (who wished he, not you, had them,) I'd normally press the fob's open button, or in the plastic case of this workaround, I'd press my finger on top of the closed box over the left most button (furthest from the battery on the other side), etc.: same result: the JL's front door would unlock.

Nothing changes for those who have the proximity locks: you just need not press the fob's buttons: just as would be the situation when using the factory fob case with proximity locks.

I agree, you never said you wish you had proximity locks: that's my wish.

What you did said (I think) is that this doesn't work unless you have proximity locks. I think we can both agree now that this workaround, for all its limitations that I'm the first to agree with (e.g. not stylish) works for all fobs: from Sport basic to Sahara/Rubicon autostart, to proximity interfaced, etc. : - )

It is easier to see the size with your pictures now. They really should make a smaller version just for this purpose.
Perhaps you'll like Adam Truckey's soon to be released fob whose size lies between this hack's and the factory fob's.

What's for certain is likely no approach is for all people all the time. Even I'm likely to only use this hack in the summer when pocket "real estate" is more "limited."

Like I said, some will like this hack, some will build upon it, others who think the fob not to large will ask why I bothered, others will say it's not sturdy enough for them, or lacks the physical key to gain entry if the battery dies. Others will like the factory or Adam's soon to be released more stylish design, but wish it smaller. Some will think the fob's size more manageable with some of Marc Gibson's accessories (present company included.)

It's all good. We all don't like every accessory ever made or should we be expected to! : - )

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Please look at the last picture of my OP. In it you will see three tiny black dots under the case cover. Those three dots are the fob's buttons for, from left to right: door open, close, and panic.

Normally, these small buttons interface with the big buttons on the fob's casing. As a non proximity lock owner (who wished he, not you, had them,) I'd normally press the fob's open button, or in the plastic case of this workaround, I'd press my finger on top of the closed box over the left most button (furthest from the battery on the other side), etc.: same result: the JL's front door would unlock.

Nothing changes for those who have the proximity locks: you just need not press the fob's buttons: just as would be the situation when using the factory fob case with proximity locks.

I agree, you never said you wish you had proximity locks: that's my wish.

What you did said (I think) is that this doesn't work unless you have proximity locks. I think we can both agree now that this workaround, for all its limitations that I'm the first to agree with (e.g. not stylish) works for all fobs: from Sport basic to Sahara/Rubicon autostart, to proximity interfaced, etc. : - )

Perhaps you'll like Adam Truckey's soon to be released fob whose size lies between this hack's and the factory fob's.

What's for certain is likely no approach is for all people all the time. Even I'm likely to only use this hack in the summer when pocket "real estate" is more "limited."

Like I said, some will like this hack, some will build upon it, others who think the fob not to large will ask why I bothered, others will say it's not sturdy enough for them, or lacks the physical key to gain entry if the battery dies. Others will like the factory or Adam's soon to be released more stylish design, but wish it smaller. Some will think the fob's size more manageable with some of Marc Gibson's accessories (present company included.)

It's all good. We all don't like every accessory ever made or should we be expected to! : - )

Got it.. I didn't realize the buttons were still usable without opening the case. I do wish I had the proximity locks locks but wasn't confusing that with the mod.. I see we both agree on that point we wished we had it :) .. Thanks for your time.

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about with the fob size...fits in my pocket with plenty of room to spare. It's actually a pretty clever and functional design. The size of my wife's GC fob with the addition of a physical key if/when you need it. And you will need it someday when the fob battery dies!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
As @jimmyzwheelz said. Not that big but geeez..

But geeeez, I have to get my friend with a JLU , 4 dr. bus, to transport my spare fob between my 3 residences. I have a 2dr. and even with backseat removed it is a no go fitting the fob in the back... I swear...

fob-jpg.jpg

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR

But geeeez, I have to get my friend with a JLU , 4 dr. bus, to transport my spare fob between my 3 residences. I have a 2dr. and even with backseat removed it is a no go fitting the fob in the back... I swear...

fob-jpg.jpg
:clap::giggle:

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I just leave the fob in the jeep and never lock the doors.

I use my spare in the house to remote start it and unlock the doors because remote start locks them

hotttdogggg

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

fob-jpg.jpg
Chortle chortle

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about with the fob size...fits in my pocket with plenty of room to spare. It's actually a pretty clever and functional design. The size of my wife's GC fob with the addition of a physical key if/when you need it. And you will need it someday when the fob battery dies!
I agree. The fob's size is manageable for me especially with Marc Gibson's fob holders that allow attachment to the pants outside a pocket: great stuff.

The project was mostly a goof to address other's people's issues with the fob being too large. And a dead fob battery should still in theory allow this hack to start the JL if you press the start button (with your foot on the break of course) with the plastic box--although I haven't tested it.

Of course getting in to the JL with a dead fob battery and no key's another problem but @Rhinebeck01 did a post on carrying the key, even one made aftermarket, with a hole drilled in it, on a keychain: either or both approaches combined taking up little space. : - )

~~~~

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Attachments

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
In search for the answer to a problem that doesn't exist.
I'm more like you if not as strongly in your camp. I was in a Container Store for another reason, saw small boxes and thought I'd have a go at it--not change the world. : - )

Like mentioned: might come in handy for me in summer.

Others here: dead set on the fob being too large: militant.

Wrangler owners often have specific taste. No matter what the market offers some will like, others won't. If FCA offered 52 fob flavors some wouldn't find theirs within the offering, others would complain that too much $ was wasted on this that could have gone to other vehicle features, others will long for the physical key, and others won't even lock their Sport S and keep the fob on the dash. Still others will wish the fob larger, and yet others complain that the $2 box here is too large! (LOL)

Harry: here's a picture from an SNL skit with cultish following where Will Ferrell plays a snob elite clothing store manager answering his cell phone: the size of a pill. If they actually made these, smaller, I bet you someone would buy it! : - )

Peace and cheers.
~~~~~~~~

151745-fe7b851f33472fbce802c53e724db620.jpg

jeffries.jpg

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Step 1: be fat
Step 2: have big pants with large pockets
Step 3: not care that the key fob is also "husky"
1,2,3 check, check, check. I even leave the key extended so it doesn't pop out at an inopportune moment and give people the wrong idea!
Sponsored