LOD Destroyer rear bumper / tire carrier

Rampart22

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon/ 2019 JL Rubicon
See above for answers to your questions.
Let us know if you have any other questions!
Thanks for the response. This helps greatly. Regarding the first question, I’m looking for the actual size of the bumper and how it’s sits when attached. This what is the measurement both out from the gate and down....

Regarding the tow plug, is there any position or other area to mount the plug. It appears very low and I’ve torn off plugs in the past and I’m not impressed with the appeared location.

I’m running 37” tires. The distance from the tail gate to tire is of great concern and although there are after market fixes, (stinger is 1) I’m sure you can appreciate the desire to have the tire as close as possible to the gate.
Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not impressed with the appeared location.
I get this; it's the only worry I have about this bumper (other than the cost). But frankly, this seems like a universal issue, and given the overall feature set I keep coming back to this one in my protracted deliberations. Is there an example you've seen of a rear bumper that embeds the trailer wiring socket in a more protected location?

Rampart22

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get this; it's the only worry I have about this bumper (other than the cost). But frankly, this seems like a universal issue, and given the overall feature set I keep coming back to this one in my protracted deliberations. Is there an example you've seen of a rear bumper that embeds the trailer wiring socket in a more protected location?
Price for Jeep parts is always a big concern. But I’d rather pay once/cry once and be down with a quality product that will perform to not only my taste but high standard. Soooo thus my inquiry....

In short, yes I’ve seen bumpers that have the tow wiring connections (im searching for the pic) as part of the bumper within the recessed tire housing. it’s clean and doesn’t stick out or bulge underneath. Many aftermarket bumpers have this and it quite frankly doesn’t make any sense why a Jeep would have it. Im sure I’m not the only one in the Jeep community to have the connection torn off while wheeling.

I really like the tire swing in the bumper concept but have serious reservations of connections causing noise and rattles ( I’m told it doesn’t, which sounds great) and the distance the bumper protrudes down and out causing a scraping concern.

Currently I’m running the mopar reinforced gate and bracket with 37’s tire with a plastic bumper. Goal is to get a real bumper soon. But LOD clearly states bumper with tire carrier and the carrier can’t be an addition later. So at a big purchase price, I need to be sure.....

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
LoD makes GREAT stuff!

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Thanks for the response. This helps greatly. Regarding the first question, I’m looking for the actual size of the bumper and how it’s sits when attached. This what is the measurement both out from the gate and down....

Regarding the tow plug, is there any position or other area to mount the plug. It appears very low and I’ve torn off plugs in the past and I’m not impressed with the appeared location.

I’m running 37” tires. The distance from the tail gate to tire is of great concern and although there are after market fixes, (stinger is 1) I’m sure you can appreciate the desire to have the tire as close as possible to the gate.
See the attached image, I hope this helps answer some of your questions, the dimensions are approximate. We designed the trailer plug attachment as if it were an option. You can remove it if your not running a trailer. You can see in the image that the trailer plug, integrated hitch, and spare tire are on the same departure line. So if your running 37's there is a good chance that your spare might hit before the trailer plug. Of course if you drop off a ledge I bet that plug housing will take a pretty good hit...being formed 10ga steel!
upload_2019-2-28_8-43-58.png

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I really like the tire swing in the bumper concept but have serious reservations of connections causing noise and rattles ( I’m told it doesn’t, which sounds great) and the distance the bumper protrudes down and out causing a scraping concern...
I can tell you these are solid and do not rattle or make noise. The product is like a tank and so far been completely satisfied.

Can’t answer departure angle questions as I have not done anything yet to come close to that being an issue. I would assume IF and that is a big IF you hammered your trailer plug it would be a cheap and easy fix, replacement or movement.

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Thanks for the transparency and the detail. This bumper looks like it will work really well for overlanding. Some, however, may prefer less of an impact on their departure angle.

Rampart22

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks LOD. Much appreciated.

Anyone have pics of the signature series LOD front bumper. I’m considering the stubby but want a recessed winch.

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Wow. Thanks for the transparency and the detail. This bumper looks like it will work really well for overlanding. Some, however, may prefer less of an impact on their departure angle.
Maybe its misleading, the departure angle of our JL with this bumper/carrier is approx 42°, no impact from stock on departure angle! Granted we are on a 2.5" lift and 35" tires. In the picture above, the Jeep is actually sitting on a 30 degree incline.

Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe its misleading, the departure angle of our JL with this bumper/carrier is approx 42°, no impact from stock on departure angle! Granted we are on a 2.5" lift and 35" tires. In the picture above, the Jeep is actually sitting on a 30 degree incline.
Good to know. I love this bumper, and am saving my pennies.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
24951DF3-B362-48B6-9EA5-7E5DE0779D8E.jpeg
Got finished and all wiring completed for the B/U lights , 3rd brake light and the tag light. Camera kit worked like a charm.
Did the harness included with the lights work fine or did you buy the separate reverse harness?

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Did the harness included with the lights work fine or did you buy the separate reverse harness?
Made my own reverse light wiring. I just tapped into the trailer wiring harness behind the passenger tail light. Power draw on the B/U lights is low and work great.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
I am planning some overlanding this year, and my requirements are
  • Space for dual jerry cans and jack
  • But I still want to be able to open the soft top, so a roof rack is not an option
  • Single action tail gate is important, too
  • Open towards 37" tire upgrade
The LoD Destroyer checks all the boxes. When I compare with other available tire carrier options, the price is fair, and the functionality/design appears superior.

That said, the installation appears to be pretty involved (bumper must be level, back camera wiring, tow receiver takeoff).

Hence, @lodoffroad , would appreciate your expert advice
  • How long does the installation take?
  • Would you recommend having it done by an expert? If yes, can you recommend a shop in Northern Colorado?
Your input is much appreciated ;)

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
I am planning some overlanding this year, and my requirements are
  • Space for dual jerry cans and jack
  • But I still want to be able to open the soft top, so a roof rack is not an option
  • Single action tail gate is important, too
  • Open towards 37" tire upgrade
The LoD Destroyer checks all the boxes. When I compare with other available tire carrier options, the price is fair, and the functionality/design appears superior.

That said, the installation appears to be pretty involved (bumper must be level, back camera wiring, tow receiver takeoff).

Hence, @lodoffroad , would appreciate your expert advice
  • How long does the installation take?
  • Would you recommend having it done by an expert? If yes, can you recommend a shop in Northern Colorado?
Your input is much appreciated ;)
Well it takes me about 2 hours, but then again I've installed about 100 of these things!:) I would dedicate all day if your going to do it yourself, it will definitely go faster if you have some help. Removing the rear bumper and hitch is easy, as is installing the new bumper and carrier. But like you said, making sure everything is perfect takes some time, as does the wiring. If you can turn a wrench you can install this yourself! Just take your time and read the directions before start at least a couple times, then call us if you have any questions! Also we have an instructional video on our website and YouTube channel, its for the JK version but its very similar.
Sponsored