Sponsored

LOD Destroyer rear bumper / tire carrier

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Just ordered this bumper/tire carrier combo. Looking forward to installing. For those that have installed, are all wires, etc. for parking sensors and backup cam long enough? I also got the cam relocation kit/adapter from LOD.
All your sensor wires are long enough. And we provide the camera extension cable with the camera relocation kit. You should be all set. If you got license plate side relocation you might have to unravel some of your wire harness to get enough length for your license plate bolt lights. If you got the spare tire license plate relocation, we provide plenty of additional wire. Feel free to give us a call if you have questions about the installation.
Sponsored

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Reading this thread thoroughly, thanks @lodoffroad for your dedication to this. I'm running 35s for now and trying to decided between an LOD bumper and carrier versus something like the EVO tailgate AND hinge reinforcement. Might go bigger later, so the bumper is my first choice, but the sensors are obviously a big issue.

I'm curious, because you mention that vibrations are a big enough issue that even the rubber grommet makes a difference, could the vibration on the bumper caused by having the spare and carrier hinged on the bumper be effecting the sensors enough to cause the false positives?
I would guess not, but anything is possible with these sensors. I think it more has to do with being rigidly mounted. The sensor vibrates during operation, interfering with the sensors ability to vibrate could cause issues, or introducing frequency vibration from the car itself (engine) could cause issues.

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
All your sensor wires are long enough. And we provide the camera extension cable with the camera relocation kit. You should be all set. If you got license plate side relocation you might have to unravel some of your wire harness to get enough length for your license plate bolt lights. If you got the spare tire license plate relocation, we provide plenty of additional wire. Feel free to give us a call if you have questions about the installation.
Thanks for the info LOD! Great to see you guys active on the forum and helping us out. Looking forward to mounting your front and rear bumpers and sliders.

Sponsored

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Wow. That’s far more extensive of a video than I had expected! Thank you for doing all of that testing and transparently sharing the results.

OP
OP

Hailchaser

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
As promised, here is the link to our sensor testing:

You've been warned... This video compares the OEM bumper to our Destroyer Tire Carrier, it is repetitious and slightly bland. :)
I appreciate LOD taking the time to complete the following tests. I see now that they are really trying to help those of us that have sensor issues. I am really happy with their bumper and tire carrier! I just look forward to a possible solution to the issue of my backup sensors constantly going off when in reverse unless I have them turned off. The JL is my wife’s daily driver and I hear about the problem regularly from her. LOD, would you mind posting an up close pic of how the sensor looks when properly mounted in the bumper holes? Is there room for adjustment to bring them out further if needed? If so, I will give that a try. Again, thanks LOD!

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
I appreciate LOD taking the time to complete the following tests. I see now that they are really trying to help those of us that have sensor issues. I am really happy with their bumper and tire carrier! I just look forward to a possible solution to the issue of my backup sensors constantly going off when in reverse unless I have them turned off. The JL is my wife’s daily driver and I hear about the problem regularly from her. LOD, would you mind posting an up close pic of how the sensor looks when properly mounted in the bumper holes? Is there room for adjustment to bring them out further if needed? If so, I will give that a try. Again, thanks LOD!
Below is a link to the updated installation instruction. Really you just want to make sure the sensors are orientated so the connector is towards the center of the bumper and parallel with the ground. Make sure your tire is in the highest position on the carrier. We are now offering a new mount to raise the tire up to 4" higher than our stock version.

https://lodoffroad.com/assets/pdfs/JBA1801 Installation.pdf

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
44CF1DB5-58C5-4541-8B6D-5250C1C6D310.jpeg
8F9B9407-D378-4BF3-AC24-A369B535D98D.jpeg
9996B575-6147-47CF-A846-EAE3D3998981.jpeg
LOD Destroyer bumper arrived Thursday. Very well packed, and arrived in great shape. Fit was spot on and all parts were nicely powder coated. The center tag bracket will work great, but working out the wiring is taking time. You need to have disconnects on the wiring to the tag bracket so when you take the tire off, you can easily disconnect.(3rd brake and tag light led’s). Backup lights(Rigid Ignite) will be installed in the bumper. Just about complete. Should wrap up tomorrow. Overall an excellent job by LOD.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Do you make these bumpers without sensor holes?