Sponsored

Are LED headlights worth $900?

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Worth every dollar all $900. :sun:
Sponsored

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

Hi Everyone, long time reader first time poster. I’m in the process of ordering my 2019 Rubi (through Craig at Koons) and I’m wanted to get the collective opinion of the forum on two options. wondering if the LED headlights are really worth the extra $900. Won’t some kind of LED aftermarket lights be available forb1/5th the cost?

Also is the hardtop headliner worth it? I had a 97 Sahara back in the day and it didn’t seem that noisy with the hardtop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-mike
Yes and yes

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
You would be even more disappointed in the stock speakers, though if you plan on replacing them all with aftermarket anyway, yea it was a waste.
I really Didn't buy a PREMIUM sound system to replace the speakers. Booooooo jeep

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
If, like me your night vision is not the best, particularly in rainy conditions where glare is an issue, then yes, the LEDs are well worth the price. The lights in my old JK were just as bad as my TJ and YJ. Just as bad as my 74 wagoneer.
The JL LEDs are the first modern AND effective lights ever to be fitted to the wrangler. Unlike aftermarket lights, you do not need to worry about flicker, nor whether or not they are DOT approved.
Likely someone will correct me here if I am mistaken, but as I understood from an insurance underwriter friend of mine, if you use something like a non DOT approved knock-off light and have a crash at night, this gives the insurance company an opening to reject your claim. I believe it is also technically illegal. Some states may enforce it, while others will not. I seem to remember Missouri actually checking the headlamps during the annual inspection.
I would also be curious to know the difference in current consumption between a LED and halogen light. I would assume the LED draws significantly less power and thus puts less strain on your electrical system. This may be an important consideration if you are running additional accessories and have not upgraded to a dual battery system.
As other have pointed out, the LEDs "should" also last a lot longer.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
For those of you that do not have the LED lights on your JL and had a JK. How do the stock JL lights compare to the stock JK lights?

brettJLg

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLSU
For those of you that do not have the LED lights on your JL and had a JK. How do the stock JL lights compare to the stock JK lights?
Worlds better. The JK LED's were "ok"... they didn't have clean beam throw. These operate more like a designed solution from the start, not like the after-thought option designed for an aging model. I would say the JL's mimic more of the luxury /sport car type that i've had where the JK's were just... ok? Hard to explain, but way better on the JL in my personal opinion!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Worlds better. The JK LED's were "ok"... they didn't have clean beam throw. These operate more like a designed solution from the start, not like the after-thought option designed for an aging model. I would say the JL's mimic more of the luxury /sport car type that i've had where the JK's were just... ok? Hard to explain, but way better on the JL in my personal opinion!
He’s asking about the halogen bulbs. The JL halogen lamps are much, much better than the JK’s dangerously dim lights. They’re still not great but they’re not a major health risk at night.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I’ve had Xenon HID for the last 10 years and bought a JLU Sahara without the LED’s, actually pretty much the only option I didn’t get. I was somewhat concerned that I’d be disappointed with the halogens but honestly they’re fine IMO. And I actually like the older style tail lights better! Although I kind of wish I had the LED running lights as they look very nice, but honestly I’m glad I spent the money on other options like the tow/hitch/aux switches and premium Alpine audio. Do what you want but you asked for opinions.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
So glad I found this, as I was going to recreate this thread myself

I am questioning though as some people make similar headlights but with added RGB included, and then the bulbs themselves are a lot cheaper but also brighter (more Minute stuff, like backup, turn signals and stuff)

Why would I spend that much when again, can always upgrade?

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
So glad I found this, as I was going to recreate this thread myself

I am questioning though as some people make similar headlights but with added RGB included, and then the bulbs themselves are a lot cheaper but also brighter (more Minute stuff, like backup, turn signals and stuff)

Why would I spend that much when again, can always upgrade?
After owning a JK that I bought new I knew when I ordered my JL that the LEDs were a no brainier. Just go with the factory LED package and you'll be happy you did. Also is anyone making a 8" headlight yet?

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My JL LED's bring passengers to gasp! I've had several friends get in at night and without being prompted, commented on how nice the lights were. When my wife first experienced them she said, "it's like daytime"!.