JL Death Wobble Tips

jamesj242003

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1998 Mercedes ML320, 1998 BMW 528iA, 2002 BMW 325xi
Thank you for the feedback and the insight. Would you happen to know if those new JL Wrangler owners who had their steering dampeners replaced (below #257) resolve their death wobble problem or did it only solve their bump steer issue? I'm told that the steering dampener is simply a band-aid that addresses the symptoms of death wobble, not the actual root cause. If that is the case, will the new steering dampener be damaged in a relatively short time because the root cause has not been fully identified?
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thank you for the feedback and the insight. Would you happen to know if those new JL Wrangler owners who had their steering dampeners replaced (below #257) resolve their death wobble problem or did it only solve their bump steer issue? I'm told that the steering dampener is simply a band-aid that addresses the symptoms of death wobble, not the actual root cause. If that is the case, will the new steering dampener be damaged in a relatively short time because the root cause has not been fully identified?
If the steering dampener was worn out due to another issue, then it makes sense that it is a matter of time before the replacement steering dampener goes bad again. But because FCA identified a date range of bad steering dampeners that weren’t filled correctly and have an air pocket, then a new steering dampener will be the solution. So it is going to be a “depends” scenario.

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
I
I am still having the issue after the dealer replacing the stabilizer. Dealer was told to release the vehicle as 'unresolved'. I'm not sure if anyone else still had the wobble after replacing.

jamesj242003

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, if Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) is directing their dealerships to release Death Wobble vehicles back to their respective owners in an 'unresolved' manner, it likely reflects FCA's level of concern for their customers. The only way FCA will truly take the Death Wobble issue seriously is when their management (especially their spokespeople) ride and truly experience one of their Death Wobble Wranglers and/or when fatalities occur. Of course, if you purchased your Wrangler with the intent of never driving more than 40 mph, than you should be fine. So much for corporate conscience, ethical business practices and profits versus the value of their customers. The Death Wobble issue coupled with poor safety performance test results on the 2018 Jeep Wrangler conducted by the European Agency (Euro NCAP) may put a crack in FCA's profit armor. I have a fully loaded 2019 Rubicon JLU on order with the expectation of getting it in 8-10 weeks. I am seriously contemplating canceling the order entirely. Why should I pay $60K to place myself and my family in harms way? Moreover, why would FCA be so willing to take my $60K knowing that they are selling a brand new vehicle to a customer (and their families) who may be seriously injured or killed by not remedying a serious safety issue that has been around for years?

dperk789

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUsport, Ram Rebel
I

I am still having the issue after the dealer replacing the stabilizer. Dealer was told to release the vehicle as 'unresolved'. I'm not sure if anyone else still had the wobble after replacing.
My "new" stabilizer was installed last wk my shimmy/wobble is starting again after a couple hundred miles. A ss is only a bandaid.

Sponsored

jamesj242003

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having reviewed numerous articles by Jeep owners and experts alike, there seems to be a general consensus that a sub-standard Stabilizer is not the root cause of the Death Wobble. Given that, does anyone truly know what is actually causing the Death Wobble on so many relatively low mileage stock Jeep Wranglers purchased brand new? Surely, the bushings, track bar and its attachment points, steering box, upper and lower ball joints, control arms, etc. did not wear away in a mere 10 miles (in one instance--see link below for 244 complaints) on the Wrangler, did it? Getting the Death Wobble in a Jeep Wrangler with more than 50,000 miles is somewhat tolerable and maybe even understandable if roaming the trails, but not low mileage stock vehicles with less than 2,000 miles. Is this a case of poor design and engineering where FCA simply does not know how to solve the Death Wobble problem and has left it largely to their customers to figure out?

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Wrangler/2018/steering/steering.shtml

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
I have true death wobble at times and I have made significant changes to fix it. I have a Mopar lift 35 KO2 and it started about a month after install. Here is everything I have done to try and fix it. It’s got much better with all the modifications but DW still happens every couple days for no reason.

- new adjustable track bar front and rear bracket to align axles.
- adjustable lower control arms
- aligned with just over 6 degrees caster.
- I loosened and re-tourqued everything to spec several times.
- replaced the steering stabilizer with a RC stabilizer to see if it would make a difference.
- rotated my tires, tried different air pressures.

My point is I don’t think this is the traditional death wobble issues we had on our JK wranglers after years of abuse. JK issues were usually due to track bars or loose joint.

I am starting to think the issues on the JL has something to do with the drag link, tie rod and possibly the aluminum knuckles. I’m not an expert but i am interested to see if Kevin(litebrite) is able to correct it on their Jeep. If steersmart can correct it on their Jeep I will jump in line to replace my drag link and tie rod.

No I shouldn’t have to do this and it would be nice if FCA figured it out, but I love my JL and the death wobble is my only complaint so I’m willing to fix it myself if I can find a solution.

jamesj242003

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback Wade. I absolutely love Jeep Wranglers. Drove one for awhile many years ago, and the feeling of freedom has never escaped me. Unfortunately, I am quite concerned with taking delivery on a new Rubicon JLU with all the Death Wobble complaints by so many owners of brand new, low mileage, stock vehicles I've been reading about. If I decide to take delivery on it, I will be driving cross country with it almost immediately, as I did last year. On that trip (1,350 miles), I drove a 20 year old Mercedes SUV with 174,000 miles on the odometer. Driving an average speed between 70-75 mph mostly, it was a quiet and smooth trip while hauling a boat trailer as well. It is difficult to imagine taking delivery on a fully loaded 2019 Rubicon JLU and then experience the Death Wobble while in transition crossing the country. If I don't receive any substantive feedback from FCA and/or others regarding a real fix or a genuine solution engineered into their new 2019 Jeep Wranglers in the next 30-45 days, I will likely cancel my order and pay a little more money to purchase an SUV that does not have a major safety defect (Death Wobble). To those Jeep Wrangler fans (as I am), l hope FCA truly figures out the root cause of the Death Wobble problem and take ownership in getting your vehicles repaired.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback Wade. I absolutely love Jeep Wranglers. Drove one for awhile many years ago, and the feeling of freedom has never escaped me. Unfortunately, I am quite concerned with taking delivery on a new Rubicon JLU with all the Death Wobble complaints by so many owners of brand new, low mileage, stock vehicles I've been reading about. If I decide to take delivery on it, I will be driving cross country with it almost immediately, as I did last year. On that trip (1,350 miles), I drove a 20 year old Mercedes SUV with 174,000 miles on the odometer. Driving an average speed between 70-75 mph mostly, it was a quiet and smooth trip while hauling a boat trailer as well. It is difficult to imagine taking delivery on a fully loaded 2019 Rubicon JLU and then experience the Death Wobble while in transition crossing the country. If I don't receive any substantive feedback from FCA and/or others regarding a real fix or a genuine solution engineered into their new 2019 Jeep Wranglers in the next 30-45 days, I will likely cancel my order and pay a little more money to purchase an SUV that does not have a major safety defect (Death Wobble). To those Jeep Wrangler fans (as I am), l hope FCA truly figures out the root cause of the Death Wobble problem and take ownership in getting your vehicles repaired.
Well, what many people experienced here are not really "death wobble", they are steering wheel shimmy which are on a different scale. You are most likely not going to experience it until you hit around 5k-7k miles. And even that is still a low probability since you are likely already received the new damper on your 19.

However, a lot of new JLs come with poor alignment, out of specs torque, and not centered steering wheel. Those are all easy fix. You may want to check those before your big trip, so you can have a smooth and enjoyable steering experience.

jamesj242003

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your are absolutely correct is saying that some owners may be describing their Bump Steer or Steering Wheel Shimmy as a Death Wobble. Whether or not it's a Death Wobble, should any brand new, stock vehicle with 5,000 - 7,000 miles (or even less) have a Bump Steer, Shimmy or a Death Wobble especially if it has been designed and engineered properly? I believe your answer may very well coincide with mine, even though we are both Jeep Wrangler fans.

Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Never seen Death Wobble so overused in my life....
DW only happens with worn suspension components not on a brand new jeep.

jamesj242003

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
I Just want to say I wouldn’t make a judgment based on what’s on this site. This is like looking at bad reviews to base a buying decision. I only post in hopes some with a similar issue has a solution. A majority of new JL owners have never had this issue and the rest are posting looking for answers. Unfortunately for me, mine is true DW and not a little shimmy and happens between 35 and 45MPH and you almost have to come to a complete stop for it to stop shaking. My problem are the result of modifications. I would buy a new rubicon with no hesitation and if your leaving it stock you probably will never have any issues.

jamesj242003

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the vote of confidence. I'm sure there are many new JL owners who do not have steering and/or wobbling issues, which is what I would expect in a new vehicle sold by any car company. At the same time, I should also be mindful of the other JL owners who have been less fortunate in buying their new Jeep JLs that are experiencing steering and/or wobbling issues on their low mileage, stock vehicles. If I have the confidence that FCA has a real handle on this issue within the next couple of months, I will have no reservation in taking delivery on my new 2019 Rubicon JLU.

Last edited:

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
That's what I thought, until I started reading the complaints from owners of brand new, low mileage, stock Jeep JL Wranglers. Would certainly be interested in your thoughts regarding the complaints cited in the link below.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Wrangler/2018/steering/steering.shtml
Its not “death wobble” . Its a bunch of people who never drove jeeps until the JL mischaracterizing a design flaw that will hopefully be corrected.
Sponsored