First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Well, I hope that the 2019s have been all sorted out, as I have one arriving.
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
1. According to some JL owners in other wobble related threads, some said they got the new OEM steering stabilizer (-AD) version within a few days, other times their dealers are saying April 2018. Some dealers are making an effort to get them quicker, some are not, some have good timing, some have bad timing based on available inventory, etc.

2. Some JL owners in other wobble related threads, the JL owners said the wobble (not death wobble, more of a a shimmy) is gone after it the OEM steering stabilizer was replaced with the -AD version. Since they changed the OEM steering stabilizer part number to -AD, then that might have fixed the minor shimmy, only time will tell if it comes back or not. Some reported the shimmy occurred after 7K miles, some said only 500 miles. If it was actual death wobble or even a bad wobble (above the level of a shimmy), then the steering stabilizer might go bad again, but not because any original "defect" that the date code of 257 or less had (per the star case in the Recall, TSB, Issues thread).

3. Some people in the other wobble related threads said they ordered aftermarket steering stabilizers and the shimmy went away and overall steering improved a lot. Same thing... time will tell if it comes back or not if it was something else causing steering stabilizers to go bad.

4. Several people in the other wobble related thread said after the bad (date code pre 257) OEM steering stabilizer was replaced, not only is the shimmy gone, but it "drives much better". This bad batch of steering stabilizers might be contributing to some of the "bad steering" symptoms in the loose steering, drifting threads. Of course pre -AD steering box, loose ball joints, loose nuts/bolts on the track bar, alignment, caster, and other loose components all contributes to the "bad steering" in JLs as well.

5. Looks like there is a new -AD for the steering pump as well. That might fix other steering symptoms.

Last edited:

WreakingHavoc

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Psychiatric Nurse
Well, I hope that the 2019s have been all sorted out, as I have one arriving.
I've been worried about the same thing and have in the back of my mind to just cancel my order until this is resolved.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've been worried about the same thing and have in the back of my mind to just cancel my order until this is resolved.
Don't cancel, just be sure you test drive it to verify it doesn't have any initial steering problems before you sign for it. At least 30 minutes on a busy highway. And has anyone who received their 2019 JL reported any steering issues?

Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Concerned, but I am not concerned enough to cancel my order. My JLUR should be here in about 2 weeks or so. If there are issues, I will work through them.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I'm only speaking from experience. I installed a mopar lift and 37s. Had the wobble consistently on bumpy roads at 53-60mph. Didn't get better or worse just continued until I got out of that speed range. Was NOT death wobble.

- Installed Fox SS: did nothing
- Installed track bars: did nothing
- Got alignment done: did nothing
- Rotated tires 4 times with balancing: did nothing
- Got different tires, did nothing
- Adjusted Toe In myself at 1/16" in: did nothing
- Installed MC Adjustable control arms with 6.5 degrees of caster: Fixed, full stop

Last edited:

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
New Stabilizer took away my DW night and day difference!
Besides DW being gone, does it steer different than with the old steering stabilizer? Any difference in drifting? And did you replace it with another OEM steering stabilizer or an aftermarket?

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Feels how it did off the lot like new. The factory one wore out around 4K miles. Upgraded to Falcon 2.2. Adjustable set on medium. Still drifts some with the big wide 35s that’s understandable. It was feeling every bump and steering wheel shaking violently I couldn’t stand.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Feels how it did off the lot like new. The factory one wore out around 4K miles. Upgraded to Falcon 2.2. Adjustable set on medium. Still drifts some with the big wide 35s that’s understandable. It was feeling every bump and steering wheel shaking violently I couldn’t stand.
And was your OEM steering stabilizer date code in the defective range?

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I'm only speaking from experience. I installed a mopar lift and 37s. Had the wobble consistently on bumpy roads at 53-60mph. Didn't get better or worse just continued until I got out of that speed range. Was NOT death wobble.

- Installed Fox SS: did nothing
- Installed track bars: did nothing
- Got alignment done: did nothing
- Rotated tires 4 times with balancing: did nothing
- Adjusted Toe In myself at 1/16" in: did nothing
- Installed MC Adjustable control arms with 6.5 degrees of caster: Fixed, full stop
Everything is gonna have to be good or we shimmy or wobble, I could see jeep offering a non solid axle on some models (maybe a sahara or some such) in the future.

Not a problem for guys willing to stay on top of everything, but for mass market "its a jeep thing" is gonna be a rough sell. should be interesting.

Hopefully FCA gets on this too, they need to have the repair/diagnosis process down better so we dont have to "manage" the repair process with dealerships

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Not exactly sure the code is X026M3. When removed I tested it on ground and could tell something wasn’t right when pushing in.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
My take on it, excluding caster issues. Get better shocks and steering stab before it becomes a problem. While it is said to be a band aid after it happens........It happens because any and every little movement/shudder/shimmy that occurs when hitting bridge seams, RR tracks, pot holes, etc is slowly wearing the components over time/miles.

I have 305/65 tires and 2" spacers on a Sport. Purchased on the dealer lot already modded. Shocks were OEM.
I noticed a little flubber./shudder when encountering seams, rr tracks, road imperfections. Installed better shocks, nothing fancy (RS5000X) and it reduced it as well as some body roll and gave a firmer controlled ride and reduced the flubber.
Falcon 2.2 EF stabilizer is in hand but not installed yet. The next step will be getting better and slightly larger bolts for control arms and track bar in the front. There is a lot of info regarding TJ's, WJ's, Ram trucks etc where the bolts are slightly smaller than the mount holes and bushing sleeves, allowing slight movement. Over time it wallows out the bolt holes, and mashes the threads inside the sleeves making it lose fitting and/or working bolts loose.

I Intend to replace control arm and track bar bolts with as big a bolt as will fit thru the hole/sleeve. I will even go on the larger side and file it slightly If needed to get a tight fit, using bolts with a longer shoulder that goes all the way thru the sleeve. The purpose being to reduce the possibility of any slight movement in the bushing sleeves on the bolt or mounting point holes on the frame and axle mounts. If you are running bigger tires, upgrade your shocks and steering stab and any other components related to steering that will be worked harder due to bigger tires.

I've seen info also that the JL track bar is hollow (likely to reduce overall veh weight) and possibly slight flexing could be part of it. My next upgrade may be a steer smart Yeti track bar as well.

Last pic is a bushing or washer that required welding to a Ram truck mount to correct a wallowed out mounting hole.

http://www.northridgenation.com/jeep-jl-grade-8-bolt-kit-instructions/

Screenshot 2018-11-25 10.06.44.png

Screenshot 2018-11-25 10.01.03.png

Screenshot 2018-11-25 09.53.15.png

Last edited:

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Be nice. They are just trying to help, and Quadratec is a great company.

The OEM steering stabilizers are backorderd until April. Quadratec has the best price on the Fox stabilizer. I just ordered from them today. They ship in December. Get ready, because all of these things are going to be backordered soon. Bank on it. Mine was perfect until 13,500 miles and then the wobble showed up. My dealer ordered the new stabilizer this morning, but said April at best. I'm still going to get it in April, then either keep it as a spare.
I had the problem with so called DW last week JLUS with 9000 miles, happened while my wife was on her way back from a trip. 40 miles from dealership so she limped in. They ordered new steering stabilizer and it was sent overnight from Mopar. Got a loaner, nice fully loaded Ram 4x4 Bighorn. Have a great relationship with service manager. He checked everything from ball joints, track bar to tires, realigned and balanced tires. He said it was the updated, redesigned steering stabilizer and said it looked different than the old OEM part. He said they are in short supply but available. He told me another Wrangler came in with same problem so he ordered 3 more. He says they are available for jl's already sold. Mine now drives better than it ever has. Got it on the interstate and went over some bumps and expansion joints at 75 mph with no issue. Time will tell if the new part is a good fix. So far so good
Sponsored