Tailgate Reinforcement System?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Does the TRS have more robust hinges? One of the reasons I sold my older TJ was because the tailgate hinges could not handle the weight of an oversized tire and warped downward! The tailgate was fine...it was the hinges that couldn't handle the weight.The only fix would have been to cut out the hinges and weld in better ones. Is the new tailgate so minimized in strength that the tailgate itself cannot bear the weight of a larger tire?

UPDATE: The just released MOPAR Parts Catalog states that the TRS uses the factory hinges. I downloaded the TRS installation instructions and they seem to imply (along with the schematic drawings) that the TRS comes with "Cast Hinges". The instructions say to reuse the OEM hinge bolts and then show the bolts going through the Cast Hinges on the tailgate reinforcement.
Does the TRS come with upgraded hinges or not? My old TJ hinges sagged...the tailgate did not.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
My understanding with the JL and JK is that the hinge is plenty strong - it's the tailgate itself that needs reinforcement.

FWIW, I ordered the TRS for the JL and will post photos when it gets here ~Jan 2nd.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered that as well as the HD tire carrier. Probably don't "need" either one with 35's, but stronger can't hurt. Looking forward to hearing your opinion of it when your JL gets in.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
I ordered that as well as the HD tire carrier. Probably don't "need" either one with 35's, but stronger can't hurt. Looking forward to hearing your opinion of it when your JL gets in.
Will do! I didn't get the HD tire carrier. They say it's required but I suspect it's not. Time will tell! :)

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Does the TRS have more robust hinges? One of the reasons I sold my older TJ was because the tailgate hinges could not handle the weight of an oversized tire and warped downward! The tailgate was fine...it was the hinges that couldn't handle the weight.The only fix would have been to cut out the hinges and weld in better ones. Is the new tailgate so minimized in strength that the tailgate itself cannot bear the weight of a larger tire?
Much better metal on the gate hinges on the JL. They contain magnesium.

Sponsored

ThrillerR1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 4Runner V8, 2008 Z06, 2009 R1, 2015 Tenere
Anyone know if the TRS is rated for a 37" tire?

OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I found out that the MOPAR Tail Gate Reinforcement System still uses the same factory hinges as the regular setup. I will wait to replace the OEM factory hinges with aftermarket hinges that are more robust.

seals02

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Does anyone have the link where I can find the tailgates weight capacity? I've heard different things regarding holding a 35 vs 86 pound capacity..etc. Thanks

jeepnoob

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite 2018 JLUR
I saw a video where the guy said the tailgate is designed to hold the trail rail with an 85lb capacity and a 35' tire. Anyone know if this is true?

seals02

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I saw a video where the guy said the tailgate is designed to hold the trail rail with an 85lb capacity and a 35' tire. Anyone know if this is true?
Owners manual online says 85 pound capacity INCLUDING spare tire weight

Sponsored

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
Love mine, and while it wasn't cheap, it gives me the piece of mind knowing that even with 35's, I don't have to worry. It seems beefy and undoubtedly makes the tail gate much stronger. My favorite part is the little jeep metal bracket under my 3rd brake light relocation kit :rock:

lifted1.jpg

JL_MX

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
My understanding is that you need both, the stronger hinges and the tire carrier update. I just got my Mopar hinges and I am waiting for the tire carrier.

Is this a correct setup?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
What's the point exactly if there is no reinforcement of the hinge?

JDP

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I believe the hinges have no issues taking the weight. The reinforcement is to prevent the weight from buckling or damaging the tailgate skin. My understanding of it anyway.
Sponsored