Sponsored

Talk me back into it.

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The 2019 Ram limited is ridiculous...If you dont need the 4x4 capabilities or the removable top its a no brainer.

To be honest the JL has me scared of buying right now. At any given time (during business hours) there are 200-300 people in the JL Wrangler general forum and 100-150 in the issues/warranty/repair section. Those are not good percentages and they are very telling about the issues going on.

I have a buying decision to make within about three months and if these issues arent resolved the 2019 Ram limited or a GMC Sierra AT4 will be looking much better than a Wrangler.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
The 2019 Ram limited is ridiculous...If you dont need the 4x4 capabilities or the removable top its a no brainer.

To be honest the JL has me scared of buying right now. At any given time (during business hours) there are 200-300 people in the JL Wrangler general forum and 100-150 in the issues/warranty/repair section. Those are not good percentages and they are very telling about the issues going on.

I have a buying decision to make within about three months and if these issues arent resolved the 2019 Ram limited or a GMC Sierra AT4 will be looking much better than a Wrangler.
For what it’s worth, don’t go by just those numbers. I have had zero issues, and for the first time ever, no buyers remorse. Yet I still find myself reading those threads out of curiosity.... and I bet I’m not alone. I enjoy reading a good rant... those are the threads to find them.

toresen

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in Southern California. Just outside Los Angeles. Best I’ve seen around me is 10% off MSRP. Which isn’t bad at all. A lot of people are talking about a dealer in Vegas that’s offering 6% below invoice but that’s might be a bit further than I’d like to travel.
I'm in a purchasing predicament and my search is also edging further and further away from Los Angeles. We could share an Uber to an out of state dealer ;)
That said, it seems CA doesn't play nicely with some (any??) states. A great chat and a good quote with an east coast dealer (near my father in law) hit a dead end earlier today when he realized I'd be driving back to LA. Shame, new Jeep pick up and a cross country family adventure would have been fun!

Stay on topic. Stay on topic.
You won't regret a Wrangler. My kids were little when I got the TJ and they love it. Since starting grade school and the drive through drop off, things have become trickier in a two door. So, we're in the market for a JLU. Doors for everyone! We didn't ever consider anything else.

EDIT:terrible spelling

OP
OP
SOON

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
I'm in a purchasing predicament and my search is also edging further and further away from Los Angeles. We could share an Uber to an out of state dealer ;)
That said, it seems CA doesn't play nicely with some (any??) states. A great chat and a good quote with an east coast dealer (near my father in law) hit a dead end earlier today when he realized I'd be driving back to LA. Shame, new Jeep pick up and a cross country family adventure would have been fun!

Stay on topic. Stay on topic.
You won't regret a Wrangler. My kids were little when I got the TJ and they love it. Since starting grade school and the drive through drop off, things have become trickier in a two door. So, we're in the market for a JLU. Doors for everyone! We didn't ever consider anything else.

EDIT:terrible spelling
Huntington Beach Jeep and OC Jeep both are advertising 10% off MSRP and that’s without any rebates. I haven’t had the time or patience to figure out what invoice on the specific configuration I want would be but I’d imagine 10% off is pretty close to 6% below invoice. I’ve done the math on what my monthly payments should be at 10% off and I’m happy with it. If the dealership somehow manages to still make some kind of profit after 10% off then good for them.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I own a Chevrolet Crew Cab truck, and a Corvette Grand Sport, and my 04 Jeep TJ. I love my Corvette....its fast and fun. But honestly I love driving my Jeep much more than my Vette or my truck. I love driving with the top and doors removed. I travel long distance with my jeep and I usually travel at about 60 MPH. So what I get passed by everyone....I don't care. I get more SMILES per Hour in my Jeep. It simply does everything my other two vehicles do...but the Jeep is FUN to be in and drive. It is a pleasure to start, stop, turn and park this jeep. In my truck I need a plan to park it. Its large and needs a lot of real estate to complete a turn. My Corvette...well I have to park it on the other side of the parking lot....where NO one parks, hoping to avoid someone hitting it with their car door. But the jeep can be parked anywhere....and it turns on a dime. Love my jeep so much I am keeping it and I have already ordered my NEW JL 2Dr. Cant wait to get it. Good luck with your decision. You will have many cars or trucks in your lifetime, hopefully you will experience the joy of a Jeep. Its completely unique. Not the best mileage, not the fastest most powerful, can't haul or tow as much as a truck. BUT...there is no other vehicle that you will enjoy more. It will take you places...and provide ADVENTURE to your life that a truck insulates you from. Good Luck

Edgar

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
LOL! I have a feeling that is a joke that would you hear in the Navy (although I am sure that jokes has been cleaned up alot).
It's genius and I'm stealing it, but way to recent to be an old school sailor Navy joke. The whole "binary" thing wasn't a thing till like a year ago.
Actually, it's something I came up with somewhat recently (probably within the couple of years) when you started hearing all the nonsense of people claiming there were more than 2 genders / sexes and that they didn't have to match biological equipment. People were just saying "gender is binary, you are either male or female". I thought it would be funnier to change that to what binary is truly about -- 1s and 0s -- and I later changed it to give a provision for if a person couldn't determine. My wife says I have a warped sense of humor. I saw she has *no* sense of humor.
You have officially become the originator of old Navy jokes. Well done.

Last edited:

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I own a Chevrolet Crew Cab truck, and a Corvette Grand Sport, and my 04 Jeep TJ. I love my Corvette....its fast and fun. But honestly I love driving my Jeep much more than my Vette or my truck. I love driving with the top and doors removed. I travel long distance with my jeep and I usually travel at about 60 MPH. So what I get passed by everyone....I don't care. I get more SMILES per Hour in my Jeep. It simply does everything my other two vehicles do...but the Jeep is FUN to be in and drive. It is a pleasure to start, stop, turn and park this jeep. In my truck I need a plan to park it. Its large and needs a lot of real estate to complete a turn. My Corvette...well I have to park it on the other side of the parking lot....where NO one parks, hoping to avoid someone hitting it with their car door. But the jeep can be parked anywhere....and it turns on a dime. Love my jeep so much I am keeping it and I have already ordered my NEW JL 2Dr. Cant wait to get it. Good luck with your decision. You will have many cars or trucks in your lifetime, hopefully you will experience the joy of a Jeep. Its completely unique. Not the best mileage, not the fastest most powerful, can't haul or tow as much as a truck. BUT...there is no other vehicle that you will enjoy more. It will take you places...and provide ADVENTURE to your life that a truck insulates you from. Good Luck

Edgar
This is so funny. I traded my Vette for my first Jeep for the very same reasons. Still miss the V8 engine sounds and acceleration though. Who knew just removing some doors would be so much more fun? Now I get passed by Civics and could care less. Parking anywhere is so liberating.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Sounds like you figured it out with your first post . Off-road vehicles are for off-roading .
Not really. I use them for image only. I've had a Rubicon for 6 years and it pretty much only saw beach sand a couple times but the initial cost is pretty much being recapped during resell, so it really doesn't matter. I've never used the lockers or the front axle disconnect, hill descent control, or 4Low but I'd be pissed if they weren't there. If people see it and think I'm fun and outdoorsy, that's their mistake. If I only bought cars that I used for their intended purposes I would only own minivans.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Not really. I use them for image only. I've had a Rubicon for 6 years and it pretty much only saw beach sand a couple times but the initial cost is pretty much being recapped during resell, so it really doesn't matter. I've never used the lockers or the front axle disconnect, hill descent control, or 4Low but I'd be pissed if they weren't there. If people see it and think I'm fun and outdoorsy, that's their mistake. If I only bought cars that I used for their intended purposes I would only own minivans.
Very honest and upfront .

By the way , the Army M-151 had a 4wd which was rear wd when "out" , and front wheel was added when "in" . So , it was basically 2H and 4H . (Not 4L .) One jammed the lever forward into "in" to add the front wd . (So , today's 4L is to be used sparingly and only in the most severe situations , since it wasn't part of military M-151.)

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
You have officially become the originator of old Navy jokes. Well done.
Thanks... I recently heard that some people (snowflakes) here are blocking me because of my cantankerous non-PC comments.

Hell, I figure if I haven't offended at least one person each day, I'm not doing my job as a curmudgeon.

Let's just say that a lot of us old farts truly identify with the "Walter" character of Jeff Dunham...

Now, get off my lawn, dammit!

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Very honest and upfront .

By the way , the Army M-151 had a 4wd which was rear wd when "out" , and front wheel was added when "in" . So , it was basically 2H and 4H . (Not 4L .) One jammed the lever forward into "in" to add the front wd . (So , today's 4L is to be used sparingly and only in the most severe situations , since it wasn't part of military M-151.)
I always think it’s funny but the old WWII Jeeps had a fraction of the hp, half the ride height, pizza cutters for wheels, no axle disconnects or lockers, yet could handle WWII battlefields just fine. Even today’s base model Jeeps are way overkill.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I always think it’s funny but the old WWII Jeeps had a fraction of the hp, half the ride height, pizza cutters for wheels, no axle disconnects or lockers, yet could handle WWII battlefields just fine. Even today’s base model Jeeps are way overkill.
Well Said .

The JK is more than enough capability for a usual person . The JL unfortunately adds a bunch of unneeded electronics , such as ESS .

The Vietnam era M-151 was a mere 71 hp , lol .

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
They were lighter at only 2400 lbs and in a pinch, you had plenty of guys around to push or pick up the vehicle to get it unstuck. And then there were the tracked vehicles to help if you really screwed up. :)

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Thanks... I recently heard that some people (snowflakes) here are blocking me because of my cantankerous non-PC comments.

Hell, I figure if I haven't offended at least one person each day, I'm not doing my job as a curmudgeon.

Let's just say that a lot of us old farts truly identify with the "Walter" character of Jeff Dunham...

Now, get off my lawn, dammit!
LOL.... You old fart....Squid".......LOL....I'm offended that they were offended by whatever it was you said that offended them. Being easily offended sometimes reflects a persons own subconscious guilt, living in denial as it were.

From one Jarhead" to one Squid"
Sponsored