Talk me back into it.

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
So I’ve been researching and waiting to buy my Wrangler next month. I’ve been very excited about finally getting one. Not that I’m a few weeks away I’m becoming hesitant on pulling he trigger. It doesn’t get the greatest gas mileage. It doesn’t have a ton of storage. It’s probably not as safe as most cars out there. And I’ve been hearing horror story after horror story about some people and their new JL. There’s no doubt it’d be fun but do I really want to drop 45k on fun? I have a 3 year old son. Is it gonna be an ok choice for him? I know there’s no logical reason to pay 45k on an off-road vehicle when it’ll probably only go off-road 5% of the time. HELP ME!!! Lol!
I’ve been starting to lean towards the new 2019 Ram 1500.
Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
They aren't bought for their MPG, safety rating or storage capacity.

That being said, the JL MPG is better than it has ever been for a wrangler.
Storage isn't bad in the 4 door.
The JL is also much safer than any wrangler has ever been.

and why do you need to drop 45K? because Sahara?
A Sport s with just tech package can be had for well under under 40k...hell a base Rubi can be less than a Sahara.
Unless you absolutely need a sahara.
I personally would never buy a sahara, they have the worst Value of all the trims for some weird reason.

Buying a Wrangler has 2 outcomes, you will love it and never be able to be satisfied driving anything else ever again.
or you HATE it after a few years, but there is only 1 way to find out.

BUY THE WRANGLER

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Hmmm...how many horror stories have you heard versus how many THOUSANDS of new JL Wranglers have been produced? The ratio is probably minuscule. I haven't had a single problem with mine and like @Gilroy, I'll wave at you as I drive by in mine.:)

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Based on your arguing point and issues you see with getting one....DONT! Go get your ram or even a compact SUV.

Im being honest here, if you care about MPG and cant deal with little things here and there a wrangler as a long term daily driver will drive you nuts.

Sponsored

bigp399

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sport
Well, I think the Ram 1500 will have lots of the same shortcomings. But honestly, I often felt (and still do) the same way about the somewhat impractical Wrangler. I was gonna get a Subaru Forester, much better mileage, etc. On road trips, commutes, etc. I often wish I did. But then every month or so I take the Jeep up a road that would break any other vehicle in half. A Ram, or other full-size pickup, may be tough enough, but it's just not gonna make it up a trail (too big). Honestly, what made me get the Jeep (4-door) was that it's surprisingly practical and comfortable. Be aware you'll just spend more next time...I'm trading in my 2014 JKU for a JLU Rubicon as soon as my order shows up. I recommend you find a buddy with a Jeep, and go run a trail with it, nothing too crazy, and see what you think. The sacrifices of having a Wrangler are less and less each year (compare a 4-door JL with a 2-Door CJ7, and I think you'll agree there have been real improvements...).

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
My suggestion, based on your post is to not buy either one. The Ram is a first year model too...so most likely it will have it's own shortcomings as more buyers jump in the ring. As others have stated...if you have to be "talked" into a wrangler, it probably isn't the vehicle for you.

That said....in the grand scheme of things...it's a first world problem to have. You can always trade it or sell it if you dont like it.

OP
OP
SOON

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
All good points. (And entertaining) I realize now that I was extremely nitpicky. I’m not not gonna get the wrangler cause of the things I said. I just get these moments of “maybe you should just save some money and get something practical” which makes sense but my last three cars have been an 05 GTO loved it! But then gas prices hit $5 a gallon and I had to get rid of it which broke my heart. I replaced it with a Pontiac G5. A stupid little turd that had a lower monthly payment and better gas mileage but I was never excited about it. I hated it from day one cause it replaced my GTO. Then now I have a Nissan Leaf. (I know, I know) the idea of zero gas was appealing to me but again it’s lame and boring and embarrassing. So now I have to replace it next month (lease) and I want something fun so the Jeep was at the top of my list. But that voice keeps popping in my head saying “hey. Why don’t you just get an Accord or something.”

Sponsored

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, look at it this way!

You have a three year old son!

In another 12-14 years he will be starting to drive!

Which would he prefer to drive around in when he gets his license, on old dodge pickup truck are a really cool lifted Jeep!

Enough said!

F.E.R

First Name
F.E.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 OCEAN BLUE SAHARA JLU!!!; 2012 Honda Accord - gonzo!; 2016 Honda Odyssey; 2016 Toro TimeCutter SS 5000
I had a Mango Tango 2010 JKU Sport S that I loved. Kept it for two years and bailed when gas got up in price. Traded it for a 4 cyl Accord sedan. No knock on the Accord, you cannot find a finer transportation appliance anywhere. Great value, 100% reliability over 6+ years, low O & O costs, etc...etc. But its the most average of average sedans you can imagine. I want a new Jeep in the worst way. Was telling my wife the other day that there isn't any other vehicular option I'm interested in at all. Wranglers are singular vehicles with no obvious competitor in the same ballpark. If benchmarking against 'practical' cars / trucks is your thing, then maybe you're right to give it some more thought but what's going to make you happy & excited? Life's too short...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
They aren't bought for their MPG, safety rating or storage capacity.

That being said, the JL MPG is better than it has ever been for a wrangler.
Storage isn't bad in the 4 door.
The JL is also much safer than any wrangler has ever been.

and why do you need to drop 45K? because Sahara?
A Sport s with just tech package can be had for well under under 40k...hell a base Rubi can be less than a Sahara.
Unless you absolutely need a sahara.
I personally would never buy a sahara, they have the worst Value of all the trims for some weird reason.

Buying a Wrangler has 2 outcomes, you will love it and never be able to be satisfied driving anything else ever again.
or you HATE it after a few years, but there is only 1 way to find out.

BUY THE WRANGLER
So... do you realize that a Sahara is still less expensive than a Rubicon right? 4 door to 4 door the Rubi is the more expensive model. Also a fully optioned out Sport S will easily exceed a fully standard Sahara. In fact I bought my Sahara for about the same as the Sport S I was going to order.

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
Or like Seinfeld would put it:
Nice truck, but does it uplift you?

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Don't get it if you have to talk yourself into it. Don't get it if getting great gas mileage is enough of a priority for you that you have traded in cars you love for that quality alone.

For me, I have wanted a Jeep for longer than I have been able to drive. I talked myself out of getting one over and over again for the past 26 years. Now I have my dream Jeep, and I smile every time I think about it. I don't think I will ever want anything else, but like I said, I spent over 2 and a half decades convincing myself not to buy one. It only took one test drive to realize it was exactly what I wanted.
Sponsored