Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
jeep m-151.jpg
They were lighter at only 2400 lbs and in a pinch, you had plenty of guys around to push or pick up the vehicle to get it unstuck. And then there were the tracked vehicles to help if you really screwed up. :)
Or the Jeep to help the tracked vehicles , lol .
Or , to give a LT a ride because he doesn't want mud on his precious boots , lol .
Notice the LT's poor sense of balance , lol .
Sponsored

JLBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory order JL once I finalize the configuration..
Well , they are good at spending money to make the mall stores rich , so they may as well spend money to make Signor Marachino rich .
You meen Sergio Marchionne?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So I’ve been researching and waiting to buy my Wrangler next month. I’ve been very excited about finally getting one. Not that I’m a few weeks away I’m becoming hesitant on pulling he trigger. It doesn’t get the greatest gas mileage. It doesn’t have a ton of storage. It’s probably not as safe as most cars out there. And I’ve been hearing horror story after horror story about some people and their new JL. There’s no doubt it’d be fun but do I really want to drop 45k on fun? I have a 3 year old son. Is it gonna be an ok choice for him? I know there’s no logical reason to pay 45k on an off-road vehicle when it’ll probably only go off-road 5% of the time. HELP ME!!! Lol!
I’ve been starting to lean towards the new 2019 Ram 1500.
MPG... you don't buy a Jeep for that. BTW... your Ram will suck just as bad. You may want to consider a prius but if you do get one please remove yourself from this forum :)

Storage... 4 door model has a ton of room in it. I've slept in it, hauled 5 people and camping gear, there is PLENTY of storage. We were actually shocked at the amount of room in it. You may want to consider a Town & Country minivan but if you do get one please remove yourself from this forum :)

Safety... for crying out loud, you are driving a roll cage! Check out the posts from dudes who have been in nasty accidents and walked away. I'd like to see a Ram do a roll over vs. a Jeep and tell me which one you'd rather be in. However... if you want to put a 4" lift on it and jerk the wheel back and forth at 60 MPH then yes... it's not that safe. You may want to consider a Volvo but if you do get one please remove yourself from this forum :)

Horror Stories... yep, there are a few out there. New model blues, every vehicle has them. Wait for 2019 model if it gives you warm fuzzies. You may want to consider any vehicle that's been in production over 5 years but if you do get one please remove yourself from this forum :)

3 year old son - "will it be an ok choice for him"... Holy $hit!!!... I wish my dad would have bought me a Jeep when I was 3!!! Any 4 door vehicle is fine for a 3 year old. BTW... he will be the coolest kid in preschool if you own a new Jeep. You may want to still consider that Town & Country minivan but if you do get one please remove yourself from this forum :)

I can tell you this... it is the BEST most FUN vehicle we have EVER owned. We have never owned a vehicle where we think of cool destinations BECAUSE OF WHAT WE ARE DRIVING. You think of fun places to go because A- You get to drive the Jeep there and B- Get to do stuff in the Jeep when you get there.
Yep the monthly payment is hardy, but we are at a place in our life where we can do it. Go take the doors off and even the top and take it for a spin, it will change your mind. Or buy your Ram or any of the other vehicles I mentioned and be like everyone else :)
BTW... that 5% off road time ROCKS (no pun intended)

Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
The 2019 Ram limited is ridiculous...If you dont need the 4x4 capabilities or the removable top its a no brainer.

To be honest the JL has me scared of buying right now. At any given time (during business hours) there are 200-300 people in the JL Wrangler general forum and 100-150 in the issues/warranty/repair section. Those are not good percentages and they are very telling about the issues going on.

I have a buying decision to make within about three months and if these issues arent resolved the 2019 Ram limited or a GMC Sierra AT4 will be looking much better than a Wrangler.
Not to be "that guy", but this makes no sense. So because there are 300-450 of the 11,400 members (not counting the several thousand guests that log on at a given time) viewing the general section (which have very little "problem" threads) and issues section, it must mean the jl's are junk? :facepalm: Sorry, I don't agree. There are also 100-300 in the ordering section, the same amount in the Show and Tell, and many scattered in the mod sections. That means there are many more modifying and enjoying their jeeps.

And if you don't think there are going to be issues with the 2019 Ram and GMC, I have some ocean front property to sell. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the 2019 Ram and I think it will do well...but you can bet it will have issues.

Many of us lurk these forums...whether general or issues, not because there is a problem, but just to check in. Are there going to be issues to address...yes, it's a new model year. But I find it interesting that you are looking at two new platforms as an alternative. Neither have been on the market long enough yet to even see what issues may be present.

But in the end, each to their own. I hope that when I pick up my JL in the coming days that I avoid the steering issues that seem to be the most prevalent on some JL's. But, I'm willing to take the chance. But that's just me. :like:

Good luck in whatever new ride you choose!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting a wrangler. Test drive one the other day and loved it. I’ve been wanting to get a Rubicon but now I’m debating between a Rubicon and a sport S. I know I’m not going to take advantage of everything the Rubicon can do but there are things that come standard on it that I think will save in modification cost down the road. Mainly the gearing. Running 35’s on the 4.10 gearing won’t be an issue at all with an automatic. And if getting in and out isn’t going to be a chore for the family upgrading to 37’s is a possibility without having to regear. I’m nervous that the Sport S might struggle with 35’s or 37’s. Plus the cost of suspension mods to make those fit on a Sport vs a Rubicon.
I know a lot of people are going to tell me the money I’d save from a sport to a rubicon will be enough to do the mods I want but im going to be leasing (will allow me to have easier to swallow payments and we’ll be in a better financial situation at lease end to either buy it out or start over with a new one) doing the math with money factors and residuals sport s vs rubicon there isn’t a huge difference in monthly payment between the two.
Personally I would NEVER do a lease, but if you are I'd do the Rubi if the payment diff is negligible. Also find out up front what you can and can't do to it and I would assume will need to save all your original parts that you take off to put them back on if you trade it back in.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
MPG... you don't buy a Jeep for that. BTW... your Ram will suck just as bad. You may want to consider a prius but if you do get one please remove yourself from this forum :)

Storage... 4 door model has a ton of room in it. I've slept in it, hauled 5 people and camping gear, there is PLENTY of storage. We were actually shocked at the amount of room in it. You may want to consider a Town & Country minivan but if you do get one please remove yourself from this forum :)

Safety... for crying out loud, you are driving a roll cage! Check out the posts from dudes who have been in nasty accidents and walked away. I'd like to see a Ram do a roll over vs. a Jeep and tell me which one you'd rather be in. However... if you want to put a 4" lift on it and jerk the wheel back and forth at 60 MPH then yes... it's not that safe. You may want to consider a Volvo but if you do get one please remove yourself from this forum :)

Horror Stories... yep, there are a few out there. New model blues, every vehicle has them. Wait for 2019 model if it gives you warm fuzzies. You may want to consider any vehicle that's been in production over 5 years but if you do get one please remove yourself from this forum :)

3 year old son - "will it be an ok choice for him"... Holy $hit!!!... I wish my dad would have bought me a Jeep when I was 3!!! Any 4 door vehicle is fine for a 3 year old. BTW... he will be the coolest kid in preschool if you own a new Jeep. You may want to still consider that Town & Country minivan but if you do get one please remove yourself from this forum :)

I can tell you this... it is the BEST most FUN vehicle we have EVER owned. We have never owned a vehicle where we think of cool destinations BECAUSE OF WHAT WE ARE DRIVING. You think of fun places to go because A- You get to drive the Jeep there and B- Get to do stuff in the Jeep when you get there.
Yep the monthly payment is hardy, but we are at a place in our life where we can do it. Go take the doors off and even the top and take it for a spin, it will change your mind. Or buy your Ram or any of the other vehicles I mentioned and be like everyone else :)
Outstanding summary . However , you forgot to give credit to 2-door Jeeps .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
You meen Sergio Marchionne?
Unfortunately the gentleman has passed away , after complications from shoulder surgery in a hospital in Switzerland . His replacement is a fellow named Mike Manley .

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
My bad... but he would win the argument on not much storage room for those :)
That's why we throw out the rear seat upon delivery .

The more important advantages of the 2-door is the shorter wheelbase , the smaller turning radius , the shorter drivetrain , the agility of quick parking between Bentleys , and the quickness of escape if the quick parking between Bentleys goes wrong .

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase

Amen! Preach brother......

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So I’ve been researching and waiting to buy my Wrangler next month. I’ve been very excited about finally getting one. Not that I’m a few weeks away I’m becoming hesitant on pulling he trigger. It doesn’t get the greatest gas mileage. It doesn’t have a ton of storage. It’s probably not as safe as most cars out there. And I’ve been hearing horror story after horror story about some people and their new JL. There’s no doubt it’d be fun but do I really want to drop 45k on fun? I have a 3 year old son. Is it gonna be an ok choice for him? I know there’s no logical reason to pay 45k on an off-road vehicle when it’ll probably only go off-road 5% of the time. HELP ME!!! Lol!
I’ve been starting to lean towards the new 2019 Ram 1500.
I bought my JL Sport S a month ago and I love it! I got many of the convenience options for under $40K. I’ve also had no problems so far...I’m getting 21+ MPG back and forth to work. (Which unless you got the eco diesel or the hybrid you’d be hard-pressed to achieve out of the Ram) I have a 4 door and I think it has plenty of storage.

This is my first Wrangler and yeah...I could’ve bought a new truck with many more comfort/convenience features...but it just wouldn’t be the same...it just wouldn’t be a Jeep. You may only use the off road capabilities 5% of the time, but that’s only part of owning a Jeep. Just think about all the fun you’ll have with the top and doors off (weather permitting and when your son gets older). I take at least the freedom panels out on a near daily basis and I take the doors and top off every chance I get! There just isn’t anything that compares to driving a Jeep doorless and topless.