Tailgate Bumpstops?

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Your bumpstops shouldn’t push your tire away from the bracket, if they are to long you could be tightening the tire against the stops and not the wheel against the relo bracket.

You can put them on before you put your spare on for a snug fit but you just want them touching the back of your tire to reduce any flexing. If you are close to an auto parts store or harbor freight I would rent or buy a torque wrench (you will use it lots on your Jeep) check the torque on your relocation bracket and spare.
Will do. Thanks again for the info. One more (possibly stupid) question— should I go with a 1/4 or a 3/8 torque wrench? Or does it really matter?
Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Will do. Thanks again for the info. One more (possibly stupid) question— should I go with a 1/4 or a 3/8 torque wrench? Or does it really matter?
Doesn’t really matter - I have a couple 3/8” most of the bolts that need proper torque are large so your sockets will probably be 3/8” or 1/2” drive.

https://m.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61276.html

My higher range wrenches are 1/2” drive - anything over 100.

https://m.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-62431.html

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Cwelroy
Go with a 1/2 inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150 ft.-lb.)

It will serve you better for multiple uses..

Also, do an internet search regarding how to care for .. proper way to use, etc.. There is more to it then you might think.

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
@Cwelroy
Go with a 1/2 inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150 ft.-lb.)

It will serve you better for multiple uses..

Also, do an internet search regarding how to care for .. proper way to use, etc.. There is more to it then you might think.
That’s what I ended up getting. Thank you. And I will look it over as well. Fairly new to this stuff. Thanks again.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
What were the parts at Lowes ya got?
See picture, just need to cut to length. Took a minute to do and cost $8. I take no credit for this I thank the people of the forums for the idea.

IMG_7969.jpg

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
Yes, guys do use hockey pucks too. But not that cheap and not that adjustable.

Below is a pic of what I was talking about. The pic is the stock/factory bumperette with a piece of PVC stuck into it. You then take a stool foot and put it over the end of the PVC so the PVC pipe end does not marr the tire. What's nice about this approach is that it is so adjustable. Just alter the length of the 1 1/4" diameter PVC pipe/plastic pipe you used. My suggested way costs about $2-3 and again very adjustable.

bump-stop-extensions-008-640x480.jpg
Thanks for the information, I have some daystar bumpers on the way. If they don't work I know the PVC/ stool foot will.

Sponsored

Badboylopez

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I went and bought the supplies and did this tonight. Seems to work well. I went with plastic plugs rather than the stool style cap, but same approach. Thanks fat boy.

462A2315-14D8-4427-BDD3-580A3E9D9302.jpeg

91355FCB-1A02-4443-9BE4-7FC1046CC4C8.jpeg
I went and bought the supplies and did this tonight. Seems to work well. I went with plastic plugs rather than the stool style cap, but same approach. Thanks fat boy.

462A2315-14D8-4427-BDD3-580A3E9D9302.jpeg

91355FCB-1A02-4443-9BE4-7FC1046CC4C8.jpeg
I have the same set up as you except I got the Smittybilt bracket and I’m also noticed the tire bounces pretty hard on large bumps. Did the DIY bumpers fix the issue??

DavidC297

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
@dajuicejml ... Yup. I have your solution. I have dealt with this issue a few times. Most recently with my youngest Son's, JK.

You will do damage to your JLU if you don't get this issue taken care of!

Anyway, go to The Home Depot, Lowes, hardware store and buy one black rubber tip or some people call them stool feet. See pic below.

Also, buy yourself a length of 1 1/4" PVC pipe. Or a 6" in length+-, PVC pipe fitting The PVC pipe diameter has to be close to the same diameter as the hole in the stool foot.

Anyway, you cut the PVC pipe to the desired length and that piece (it will probably be say 3-4" in length) will plug right into / forcefully push right into, the factory JL tailgate bumperette (the bumperette has a hole in it) that was for the original spare.. Now, on the other end of the piece of PVC pipe you push on your black rubber stool foot. Don't glue things together.... there is no need to.

You'll have to play around with the length of the PVC piece until til you get it just right. You want the PVC piece to be long enough so that when you tighten down on the spare that the the spacer you just made up is nice and tight between bumper and tire. You want no movement. You want that spare to forcefully push against your spacer setup as you tighten the spares lugs.

That's it! Solution will cost you say $3.00+-. By the way, if you have an old cannister vacuum cleaner you can cut a few inches off the rigid tubing that hooks to the flexible hose. It works well..

By the way, you will be surprised how decent the thing ends up looking and it does do the job.

ft.jpg

jjj.jpg
Thanks for the idea. I tried it out yesterday and it works great

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Are the energy ones foam or hard rubber ?

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
Installed 35x12.5R18 tires on an 18x8.5" wheels with a +18 offset. It keeps the wheel nice and tight to the tailgate. I was able to get away with just buying the rubber feet for the stools and shove those into the factory bumpstops and it then is pressed against the wheel perfectly. No extra hoses or PVC. Thanks for all the tips on here guys.

received_2322412231376414.jpeg

MVIMG_20181230_135710.jpg

MVIMG_20181230_140456.jpg
Sponsored