Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
Facilities Administrator
@McBeevee
Look very good. And it cost you under $4.00 probably. No need at all to spend $20+.
Thanks and yep....I think the rubber pieces were $1.39 each at my local hardware. The paint and scrap PVC I already had. :like:
Sponsored

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL

dbtran

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara

Yeah there are cheaper options, but I was too lazy to try and finagle something together. lol This you can just trim off some excess and plug right into the factory stops. Tighten down the lugs on the spare tire and you're good to go. Also its just temporary until more options for tire carriers roll out.

Sponsored

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Had this problem with my JK and used racquetballs. The balls sat perfect in the cupped end of the bumpstop and wedged against the tire. Worked perfect for years and blended in because they were black.

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Can somebody give me some reassurance here— or the opposite?

I may not need to worry about this, but even with the PVC bump stop extensions, which are extremely tight to the tire to the point where they can’t be removed without first removing the spare, I notice the tire moving when I hit a pot hole or bump in the road during my daily drive. And, unfortunately, Indianapolis streets are far from perfect, so it happens frequently. Should I be concerned? I have the tire (35/12.5/18 Ridge Grappler) connected to the Jeep using the rough country relocation bracket. I don’t ever remember looking to see if the stock tore had some play when hitting pot holes/bumps. Is it OK to move a little? From the way the PVC is, it’s almost like it’s bouncing the opposite direction as it would if there wasn’t any PVC aim the rubber bump stops.

Thanks for your help.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Cwelroy

Consider increasing the length of the pvc spacer. It might be shorter then it should be. Takes a minute to try a longer one. The spacer should press into the spare very very firmly/tightly as you tighten the lugs.

Remember, torque factory, JL spare tire mount bolts to 59 ft/lb and no more.

130 ft/lb torque is for JL wheel lug nuts....

Sponsored

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$8 at Lowe’s, now to the next problem LoL

58A2EC97-5231-42F1-B013-E5F4C2FB08DA.jpeg

CB955565-8F4E-4752-862E-5CB4B4679CED.jpeg

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
This has worked so far but looking for a more permanent fix. Glad I found this thread.

79564A56-FBA6-43CA-A261-1E62248A2241.jpeg
This, is awesome. Nice job. Best one yet. Lol

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Can somebody give me some reassurance here— or the opposite?

I may not need to worry about this, but even with the PVC bump stop extensions, which are extremely tight to the tire to the point where they can’t be removed without first removing the spare, I notice the tire moving when I hit a pot hole or bump in the road during my daily drive. And, unfortunately, Indianapolis streets are far from perfect, so it happens frequently. Should I be concerned? I have the tire (35/12.5/18 Ridge Grappler) connected to the Jeep using the rough country relocation bracket. I don’t ever remember looking to see if the stock tore had some play when hitting pot holes/bumps. Is it OK to move a little? From the way the PVC is, it’s almost like it’s bouncing the opposite direction as it would if there wasn’t any PVC aim the rubber bump stops.

Thanks for your help.
Sounds like your spare or relocation bracket is loose shouldn’t be moving. If you have to remove your tire to take out the extensions that means you had to put them on first so your tire may not have been flush with the bracket.

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Sounds like your spare or relocation bracket is loose shouldn’t be moving. If you have to remove your tire to take out the extensions that means you had to put them on first so your tire may not have been flush with the bracket.
Thanks for the info. I’ll try to take it off and redo it. I tightened the lugs to the point where I can’t tighten them anymore manually, and it still jumps around a little. Seems like something isn’t right. Should I be able to put the extensions on after the tire is tightened? If so, it doesn’t seem like they’d be tight to the tire, which I thought was the goal.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks for the info. I’ll try to take it off and redo it. I tightened the lugs to the point where I can’t tighten them anymore manually, and it still jumps around a little. Seems like something isn’t right. Should I be able to put the extensions on after the tire is tightened? If so, it doesn’t seem like they’d be tight to the tire, which I thought was the goal.
Your bumpstops shouldn’t push your tire away from the bracket, if they are to long you could be tightening the tire against the stops and not the wheel against the relo bracket.

You can put them on before you put your spare on for a snug fit but you just want them touching the back of your tire to reduce any flexing. If you are close to an auto parts store or harbor freight I would rent or buy a torque wrench (you will use it lots on your Jeep) check the torque on your relocation bracket and spare.
Sponsored