Sponsored

Under Hood Heat

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
That’s pretty cool. I’ll check them out.
Many many here have the Redline Tuning Struts installed.... Well liked for sure..

@Redline Tuning is a Forum Sponsor... Thanks Redline Tuning!

@jbcrane, if you decide to replace that axe handle, do go with the Redline Tuning offering....
.....there are some Chinese hood strut offerings on Amazon, etc.. but they are not at all comparable to the Redline's ......and it is best to avoid those offerings..

Oh, Redline Tuning has a free shipping code for forum member's... Do use the code and save a few $.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I conducted a non scientific test after work today. It’s 93 degrees today…I placed a temp sensor on top of the engine cover on my 2.0 and closed the hood right after driving it 10 miles. After 10 minutes it measured 199 degrees. I then did the same with my wife’s 2018 Ford Edge with the 2.7 turbo. It was 167 degrees. The difference was more than I expected.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Many many here have the Redline Tuning Struts installed.... Well liked for sure..

@Redline Tuning is a Forum Sponsor... Thanks Redline Tuning!

@jbcrane, if you decide to replace that axe handle, do go with the Redline Tuning offering....
.....there are some Chinese hood strut offerings on Amazon, etc.. but they are not at all comparable to the Redline's ......and it is best to avoid those offerings..

Oh, Redline Tuning has a free shipping code for forum member's... Do use the code and save a few $.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the nudge. I went with Elite because I like how the lighter, brighter stainless will contrast with such a dark environment on my Granite Crystal Metallic. Love how they raise the hood slowly and gently like that. But I’ll still keep the axe handle in the back for… whatever.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
folks that aren’t a fan of this usually cite concerns of water entering the engine compartment. I’m not saying anyone should do this just that I did it.
Uhh... can't we drive these things in up to 36" of water? Water is getting in there and not hurting anything. Everything should be sealed, right? As long as it doesn't get in the air intake, you should be good?

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I own a 2021 Rubicon with a 2.0L Turbo engine. I took my Jeep for a short 15-20 mile ride and when I came home I decided to check the oil. When I opened the hood I nearly burned my hand on the underside of the hood reinforcement near the front of the hood. Is this normal? I know turbos run hot, but this seems excessive. There are vents on the Rubicon hood, but I don't know if they are functional as there is a hood insulator on the inside of the hood covering these vent features.
Normal for these vehicles. I'm probably going to install the hood struts soon.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Side note, and I know this is kinda petty on my part… but this really ticks me off:
476ED3EA-E9E0-4341-99A8-A92983016CA9.jpeg

In my opinion that is a flat out marketing lie.
Where did you see this and maybe we can get Jeep to give us a recall and give us all head reduction hoods.... I mean... after seeing this I decided to buy my Jeep so, this was the sole determining factor....

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Where did you see this and maybe we can get Jeep to give us a recall and give us all head reduction hoods.... I mean... after seeing this I decided to buy my Jeep so, this was the sole determining factor....
It’s the hood sticker that came on our 2020 Recon edition. Me too! Totally got suckered by what turned out to be fake vents but a little ginsu action on the plastic and all is right in the world now. ;)

Sponsored

Tggrr

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 eco diesel rubicon unlimited
So after reading 8 pages of comments here my crayon eater thoughts. I also went with the redline struts absolutely love them. I also used a dermal and opened up the vents on the hood. As for the insulators slash waste of material I took it out . I have a flag decal on my hood I’m also in Florida .

CA57E20F-5664-44E8-B2C6-99B3F53C42A9.jpeg

FF714FA6-BD3A-49AB-A042-D81F8647BECC.jpeg

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So after reading 8 pages of comments here my crayon eater thoughts. I also went with the redline struts absolutely love them. I also used a dermal and opened up the vents on the hood. As for the insulators slash waste of material I took it out . I have a flag decal on my hood I’m also in Florida .

Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat FF714FA6-BD3A-49AB-A042-D81F8647BECC

Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat FF714FA6-BD3A-49AB-A042-D81F8647BECC
OK, thanks! Nice graphics. Love the drab!

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
Occupation
On the trail :+)
Nice thread but there is one very important thing I couldn't find in the entire thread - what is the ambient temperature in the engine bay under the hood? Anyone can share any numbers that show under the hood temperature but also have data on the outside temperature at the time of measurement?

I need the data so I can make proper calculation on the needed cable gauge for the cable I need to run for my additional electrical setup :idea::movember::headbang:

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Nice thread but there is one very important thing I couldn't find in the entire thread - what is the ambient temperature in the engine bay under the hood? Anyone can share any numbers that show under the hood temperature but also have data on the outside temperature at the time of measurement?

I need the data so I can make proper calculation on the needed cable gauge for the cable I need to run for my additional electrical setup :idea::movember::headbang:
I did this test last August, it was 92 degrees. I drove the Jeep at Highway speeds for 10 minutes, parked the Jeep in my driveway. Place the temp sensor on the engine cover of my 2.0 and waited 5 minutes. It read 199 degrees.

Betty2020

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - 2003 TJ Rubicon
I have recently installed a set of OTB scoops that I bought from iron rock off road. These you cut the bottoms out of the stock Rubicon scoops and cut out the hood liner. My big concern was water entering the engine compartment. They have a fabric in there that lets air out but doesn't let water in . The water still drains out the factory location! It also encapsulates the hood liner.

Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat 1661844896577
Sponsored