Under Hood Heat

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I own a 2021 Rubicon with a 2.0L Turbo engine. I took my Jeep for a short 15-20 mile ride and when I came home I decided to check the oil. When I opened the hood I nearly burned my hand on the underside of the hood reinforcement near the front of the hood. Is this normal? I know turbos run hot, but this seems excessive. There are vents on the Rubicon hood, but I don't know if they are functional as there is a hood insulator on the inside of the hood covering these vent features.
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Yeah our cooling systems work harder than an ugly hooker. I've burned myself a couple times trying to pull the prop rod down. I did cut holes in the insulation and the bottom of the fake vents. I didn't do a before test to see if it's helped but when sitting you can definitely feel hot air coming out. Other folks have tested and this is a low pressure area so it should also be drawing out heat while moving.

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah our cooling systems work harder than an ugly hooker. I've burned myself a couple times trying to pull the prop rod down. I did cut holes in the insulation and the bottom of the fake vents. I didn't do a before test to see if it's helped but when sitting you can definitely feel hot air coming out. Other folks have tested and this is a low pressure area so it should also be drawing out heat while moving.
Hi Brad, We've chatted on other posts. Thanks for the reply. So from what you are saying, the vents actually do go all of the way through?

Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Hi Brad, We've chatted on other posts. Thanks for the reply. So from what you are saying, the vents actually do go all of the way through?
Vents do not go all the way through. You have to cut the liner and the bottom base on the vent/s

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Or if you are a DIYer just pull the sound liner, top engine cover and extend the hood hinges. It works very well venting under hood heat. Caution! some folks are critical of the adjustment to looks and don't understand, "its a JEEP thing" Haha It costs next to nothing to do and if you are not into it. It's very easy to undo. Cuting the hoodliner and drilling holes in the fake hood vents is a one way modification.
Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat JL underhood
Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat jl hood hinge extension 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat jl hood hinge extention 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat JL hood with hinge extensions

BTW, carriage head bolts with the nuts on the inside of engine bay replaced the hexhead bolts. No cowl vent cover intrusion. And about the under hood sound liner that started in the 50's, has any manufacturer ever stated it was for hood paint protection?

Last edited:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yep you bet!
The vent inserts are normally blocked off with a small opening towards the front. Any water gettin in would drain through that to the top of the fiber board looking heat shield and drain off to the side. (Blue circle and red circle respectively)
Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat 00457AED-6938-4232-B176-BEB6675D4DAB

I didn’t cut the entire bottom out of the vent because I wanted to maintain some side to side rigidity. Hoping that would make it less likely to pop out while on the freeway.
Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat 43D545BF-8F5F-4C1D-8A27-5DB17A3944F0

Then of course the fiber board shield has also been cut out.

folks that aren’t a fan of this usually cite concerns of water entering the engine compartment. I’m not saying anyone should do this just that I did it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or if you are a DIYer just pull the sound liner, top engine cover and extend the hood hinges. It works very well venting under hood heat. Caution! some folks are critical of the adjustment to looks and don't understand, "its a JEEP thing" Haha It costs next to nothing to do and if you are not into it. It's very easy to undo. Cuting the hoodliner and drilling holes in the fake hood vents is a one way modification.
Thanks Strider. Very innovative and out-of-the-box Imagineering! Improves aerodynamics as well.

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yep you bet!
The vent inserts are normally blocked off with a small opening towards the front. Any water gettin in would drain through that to the top of the fiber board looking heat shield and drain off to the side. (Blue circle and red circle respectively)

I didn’t cut the entire bottom out of the vent because I wanted to maintain some side to side rigidity. Hoping that would make it less likely to pop out while on the freeway.

Then of course the fiber board shield has also been cut out.

folks that aren’t a fan of this usually cite concerns of water entering the engine compartment. I’m not saying anyone should do this just that I did it.
OK thanks Brad. If it works for you, all the more power to ya! I just can't believe the product development team allowed such high engine compartment temperatures and ignored the issue by installing fake vents. I wonder if there are any aftermarket ad-ons to address this issue...Hmmm.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK thanks Brad. If it works for you, all the more power to ya! I just can't believe the product development team allowed such high engine compartment temperatures and ignored the issue by installing fake vents. I wonder if there are any aftermarket ad-ons to address this issue...Hmmm.
Ya I figured it was worth a shot. If I had problems I could buy new vents and heat shield then make a warranty claim. ; )

There are some aftermarket louvers and even plastic scoops but I'm pretty sure the scoops are pushing air in when we want air coming out.

@sourdough 's solution is probably the most effective tbh

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Side note, and I know this is kinda petty on my part… but this really ticks me off:
Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat 476ED3EA-E9E0-4341-99A8-A92983016CA9

In my opinion that is a flat out marketing lie.
Sponsored