Sponsored

Rubicon takeoff wheels, no tpms reading?

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
Put some Rubicon wheels tires on my jl. They were takeoffs, stock k02s still on. I can't imagine someone would remove the tpms then remount the tire, but I am getting a service tpms message. Anyway to get it to find them?

Yes, I tried search function. Sure it is there, but I couldn't find it.
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
It is auto relearn so if there are working TPMS all you have to do is drive.

A few things that you can try. Often the spare messes things up so remove the spare, leave it in the garage and go drive a few minutes.

Also make sure your PSI is set exactly to the door placard. You can be +/- 1 psi is fine.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Put some Rubicon wheels tires on my jl. They were takeoffs, stock k02s still on. I can't imagine someone would remove the tpms then remount the tire, but I am getting a service tpms message. Anyway to get it to find them?

Yes, I tried search function. Sure it is there, but I couldn't find it.
@Ksvette

It is not unusual for guys/gals to remove the TPMS's from new take offs before they sell them. Happens all the time..

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Ksvette

@Goin2drt , who owns a terrific / reliable website, to purchase TPMS's from....
https://www.tpmsbargains.com/Jeep-Wrangler-TPMS-s/292.htm

....taught me the following:.

Along with removing the spare as he mentioned already.....

IF you have one or more sensors not reading on a say a JL/JLU, you deflate all tires to 12# below the recommended tire pressure, driver's side door sticker that tells you recommended tire psi.

Now, after they are deflated you drive say a half mile. Now, you inflate to to +- 1# psi, of the recommended psi on the driver's side door sticker and go for a mile drive.. This scenario/routine is suppose to wake up the sensors, so to speak and get them reading...

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
When I swapped the Rubicon wheels onto my Sport, it picked up the new TPMS within a few minutes of driving. I'd definitely try the airing down/back up method that @Rhinebeck01 mentioned.

Good luck, I hope they're in there!

Sponsored

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have some take offs with KO2s will be selling this spring - 800 mi and no TPMS - the shop put them in the new rims.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Happens all the time. I bought some Raptor take offs for my F150, same issue. They don’t dismount the tire to get the TMPS off, they just break the bead so they can get to it. You can put new ones in the same way. No need to go to a tire shop or rebalance.

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
@Ksvette

@Goin2drt , who owns a terrific / reliable website, to purchase TPMS's from....
https://www.tpmsbargains.com/Jeep-Wrangler-TPMS-s/292.htm

....taught me the following:.

Along with removing the spare as he mentioned already.....

IF you have one or more sensors not reading on a say a JL/JLU, you deflate all tires to 12# below the recommended tire pressure, driver's side door sticker that tells you recommended tire psi.

Now, after they are deflated you drive say a half mile. Now, you inflate to to +- 1# psi, of the recommended psi on the driver's side door sticker and go for a mile drive.. This scenario/routine is suppose to wake up the sensors, so to speak and get them reading...
If not there, they look cheap enough to replace!

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
When I had my tires and wheels replaced the shop that did the work took out the sensors out and put them in the new wheels. I sold the old set and disclosed they had no TPMS’s.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
My JT would not recognize the 3rd set of takeoffs I put on. So I had my oem wheels, the rotated 2 sets of takeoffs, and then got a 3rd takeoff set, 4th set of sensors to the vehicle, and those did not register. Ended up going back to the last set used, no problem

Sponsored

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
I had this problem today. Took my winter wheels/tires off and put my summer wheels/tires on. All the sensors but one woke up and were fine. Tried these things, but to no avail:

- Remove spare and set aside.
- Deflate all four tires to 20 psi.
- Drive around for a while (the Jeep recognized the same three as before, but wouldn't read the 4th)
- Re-inflate to 36 psi.
- Drive around (same result -- 3 recognized, 1 not).

Guess I have a bad sensor?

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Forgot to add that I rotated the summer tires from their positions last year, including the spare.
Sponsored