Sponsored

Rear TPMS not reading after swap

Ozjeeper1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hello
I swapped my OEM wheel/tires for after market wheel/tyres. Both sets have OEM TPMS installed. After I swapped the sets, both rear won't update but the front work fine almost immediately. I've driven around for 30 min and the rears haven't reset yet...Any ideas?
thanks
Sponsored

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'd give it more time.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Ozjeeper1

As long as all the TPMS's on the take offs you installed are healthy and are the correct TPMS's for your JL...

You would want to try the following ...

Make sure the Psi on all 4 on the ground tires are set to exactly what the the door placard recommends. Then go for a ride... Hopefully, all will display after a mile or so.. AFTER all TPMS's are reading you can change the psi on tires.

If that is a no go..... try -->Often the spare messes things up so remove the spare, leave it in the garage and with the PSI's all set as per the door placard, go drive for a few minutes. Once all displays properly, put the spare back on the spare holder.

Also try: --> the current thought by most TPMS retailers/vendors, that IF you have one or more sensors not reading on a say a JL/JLU/JT, you deflate all tires to 12# below the recommended tire pressure, driver's side door sticker that tells you recommended tire psi. Now, after they are deflated you drive say a half mile. Now, you inflate to to +- 1# psi, of the recommended psi on the driver's side door sticker and go for a mile drive.. This scenario/routine is suppose to wake up the sensors, so to speak and get them reading...

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ozjeeper1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@Ozjeeper1

As long as all the TPMS's on the take offs you have be installed are healthy and the correct TPMS's for your JL...

You would just want to try the following right....

Make sure the PSI on all 4 on the ground tires is set to exactly what the the door placard recommends. Then go for a ride... Hopefully, all will display after a mile or so.. AFTER all TPMS's are reading you can change the psi on tires.

If that is a no go..... try -->Often the spare messes things up so remove the spare, leave it in the garage and with the PSI's all set as per the door placard, go drive for a few minutes. Once all displays properly, put the spare back on the spare holder.

Also try: --> the current thought by most TPMS retailers/vendors, that IF you have one or more sensors not reading on a say a JL/JLU/JT, you deflate all tires to 12# below the recommended tire pressure, driver's side door sticker that tells you recommended tire psi. Now, after they are deflated you drive say a half mile. Now, you inflate to to +- 1# psi, of the recommended psi on the driver's side door sticker and go for a mile drive.. This scenario/routine is suppose to wake up the sensors, so to speak and get them reading...

Thanks for your reply and I'll try your suggestion.
Scenario is - I have 2 sets of tyres with all OEM tpms. 1st set was working for over a year, then I swapped the sets and the 2nd set TPMS worked fine for a few weeks. I then put the 1st set back on and now the rear left show red blank and the rear right not being updated with correct reading. I think it needs some sort of reboot or the module is not working.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Scenario is - I have 2 sets of tyres with all OEM tpms. 1st set was working for over a year, then I swapped the sets and the 2nd set TPMS worked fine for a few weeks. I then put the 1st set back on and now the rear left show red blank and the rear right not being updated with correct reading. I think it needs some sort of reboot or the module is not working.
@Ozjeeper1

Try the dance I mentioned.. Wake up the sensors....

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I've had this issue in the past and what I did to get it working was air it up to 40psi drove it and it detected. then I deflated back to 36.

OP
OP

Ozjeeper1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@Ozjeeper1

Try the dance I mentioned.. Wake up the sensors....
Hi again
i tried your suggestions and even swapped wheels around. 3 of the positions always read Ok. Just the left rear position won‘t read anything.
Do you know where the wireless reader is for the rear left? It may just need a “tickle“ to get working.
thanks again for your support

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
On USA models The wireless reader a.k.a. Tire Pressure Module is tucked up in the JL's rear passenger wheel well.
Sponsored