Sponsored

HELP please: TPMS sensors not reading

Chaostactics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
We have a 2018 JLU Sport S and swapped the wheels/tires for a brand new take off set (200 miles or so) from a Gladiator Rubi. I was (falsely) reading 37 PSI all 4 corners, so I held down the "ok" button for 3-5 sec to try and reset. Now I no PSI reading and a service TPMS warning/service required readout. Any fix for this without going to the stealership?

I've tried airing up to ~37psi on all 4 tires + the spare and driving 5-10 miles above 20 mph. And still nothing ‍♂
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
They should auto reset after awhile. I've heard it can take as long as 20mins+ of normal driving.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
Are you absolutely sure the TPMS is in the new wheels from the Gladiator?

Some buy regular valve stems and keep the OEM TPMS that they know works with the new wheels and tires for their vehicle.

Some shops are not that good at removing and reinstalling TPMS and may have over tighten then when swapped over.

I put one OEM wheel/TPMS on the Jeep with 3 wheels with no TPMS to see what happens.

Jeep display saw the OEM/TPMS at 36, dashes on the other non OEM tires/TPMS.

Went for a drive and display went to TPMS warning.

Put back all 4 OEM/TPMS wheels and reset displays 36 on all 4 corners.

If I remember correctly, I was told by service that 2020 Gladiator uses TPMS at 434 MHZ, from the RAM truck and 2018 JL/JK TPMS uses 433 MHZ.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Your posts don’t say that you drove the Jeep since the swap at all. If that is the case go out for a 10 minute drive that is longer than a few miles and see if it corrects itself

also what made you hold down the ok button?

if what jrohan is correct and they are a different frequency, you will have to buy new ones and sell the gladiator sensors.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Pressing/holding 'ok' resets the oil life when you're in the oil life selection in the cluster. It doesn't reset the TPMS. You mention no pressure reading, so it sounds like the sensors aren't being received.

From p 228 of the owner's manual > > >

Service TPMS Warning
When a system fault is detected, the Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light will flash on and off for 75 seconds and then remain on solid. The system fault will also sound a chime. In addition, the instrument cluster will display a SERVICE TIRE PRESSURE SYSTEM message for a minimum of five seconds and then display dashes (- -) in place of the pressure value to indicate which sensor is not being received.

If the ignition key is cycled, this sequence will repeat, providing the system fault still exists. If the system fault no longer exists, the Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light will no longer flash, and the “SERVICE TIRE PRESSURE SYSTEM” message will no longer display, and a pressure value will display in place of the dashes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
OEM sensor is a Schrader 20398 433mhz. No such thing as 434. Both sensors for the 18JL and the 20 Gladiator are the same. Take off your spare and leave it in the garage. Go up to 40 PSI and drive around. If they don’t reset in a few miles then you are having issues with the sensors. Unless you are not running all stock then there are transmitter issues.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
best way to check is dismount tire and actually see what TPMS actually is in the tires to be sure.

who knows what the original owner did with the OEM TPMS.

so 434 mhz still does not exist?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
best way to check is dismount tire and actually see what TPMS actually is in the tires to be sure.

who knows what the original owner did with the OEM TPMS.

so 434 mhz still does not exist?
correct. He is in Hawaii. It does not exist for anything here in the country in which he is driving his car. He would not have 434 nor would there be a part or application for 434 for his Jeep since only 433 and 315 exist for US applications. OEM is 433 and the part is Schrader 20398.

Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Go to your local Jeep dealer, we have equipment to read TPMS sensors without having to dismount your tires. If they get a reading then they might need to be manually programmed to your JL.

OP
OP

Chaostactics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
To all I have driven for 45 min+ now at speeds up to 60mph and still have nothing but blanks for psi and a TPMS warning light.

@Ntegtmeyer thanks for the suggestion!

THEREED1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Go to your local Jeep dealer, we have equipment to read TPMS sensors without having to dismount your tires. If they get a reading then they might need to be manually programmed to your JL.
Any idea what the cost would be for dealer to do this? I am having the same issue after replacing stock wheels and tires with OEM Rubicon take offs. System shows reading is unavailable and alert light stays on. I've driven about an hour total.

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Any idea what the cost would be for dealer to do this? I am having the same issue after replacing stock wheels and tires with OEM Rubicon take offs. System shows reading is unavailable and alert light stays on. I've driven about an hour total.
A good dealer wouldn’t charge you to just read the TPMS sensors with their handheld device, however if they need to manually program them individually we would charge a half hour which would be $75. Every dealer has different hourly rates though so it’s best you call and ask first ahead of time.

OP
OP

Chaostactics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
SOLVED: The shop who swapped out the tire/wheel package pulled the TPMS sensors and put regular valve stems in. Charged the guy who was getting wheels put on for new tpms sensors because the mopar ones wouldn't work with 35" tires. Then didnt tell anyone the tpms sensors had been removed. Firestone scanned all 5 wheels and found no sensors broadcasting.
Sponsored