kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Today after a short trip to the store all's good but coming home the driver rear was red as in no reading. Swapped tires and OEM sensors about 1k miles ago an no issues until today.

Do they just go bad as in they either they work or they dont? Or battery dies in 7 years.

I have a couple of small warrant claims so I guess I'll add a checkup on that sensor next trip to dealer.
Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just had mine fixed. It stopped working shortly after dealer rotated the tires. Those sensors seem very unreliable.

OP
OP
kobejo34

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you @jmcdtucson . I assume they are warranty related or "designed to wear out"

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
kobejo34

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
came back on today after about 5 miles of driving. Whoot. Automagically works as designed.

Sponsored

MACjeeps

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Sting Gray, 3.6L | 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Rhino | 1979 CJ5
I am having the same issue after installing news wheels and tires. I have one front sensor that will sometimes work and other times is just out. I am not sure if the dealer will warranty since I put aftermarket wheels on. May have to try and replace it I guess.

OP
OP
kobejo34

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@MACjeeps dealer had no issue adding it to my to-do list when the seat back ordered part arrives. He looked at the dash and said "yup". If it goes out again I'll have them replace it but it did come back by itself.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@kobejo34
@MACjeeps

When you have a wheel that intermittently, is not being read, consider moving that wheel to another location on your JL.

IF, that exact same wheel is still going awol at that new location, then you know it is the TMPS sensor in the wheel. .... But........... if the wheel you put in the spot where that problematic wheel was going awol also starts going awol, then you know it is a problem with a chassis sensor and not the TPMS in the affected wheel.

Probably is the TPMS sensor in that one wheel is getting flakey, but yah never know til you test a bit...

-------------------

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

OP
OP
kobejo34

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! Good to know for sure. Thank you.

That should be fun with the service manager. I would assume they know where the chassis sensors are located.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
funny I had the same issue today. back passenger. i also did some recent tires moving around.

Sponsored

LTZ470

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep 392
Have used 8 of these on new wheels and tires on a JLU...no programming...flawless...work excellent as soon as mounted...

ORO-Tek OSC-8214B

OP
OP
kobejo34

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well the self healing lasted for about a week and the OEM sensor went out again this morning. I was going to chalk it up to new fangled technology for one time but two that's a pattern.

Yeah!

OP
OP
kobejo34

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So dealer put their "receiver" up to each wheel to see what the S/N was coming off the senors. All 5 didn't register with his tool so he was at a lose as the Jeep can see them. I just wanted to get out of there as they have had the jeep for 2 weeks for another issue. If it goes out again I'll take it back and/ or rotate as suggested.

JaySmitty609

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited 2018
@kobejo34
@MACjeeps

When you have a wheel that intermittently, is not being read, consider moving that wheel to another location on your JL.

IF, that exact same wheel is still going awol at that new location, then you know it is the TMPS sensor in the wheel. .... But........... if the wheel you put in the spot where that problematic wheel was going awol also starts going awol, then you know it is a problem with a chassis sensor and not the TPMS in the affected wheel.

Probably is the TPMS sensor in that one wheel is getting flakey, but yah never know til you test a bit...

-------------------

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on this topic as I have seen you reply on several thread, but nothing that directly addresses the issue I am having. Since this is my first wrangler I am really in the dark on this and thinking you/ someone may be able to shed some light.

I got a flat the other day and I switched that tire with the factory mounted spare. I mounted the flat back in the spare position after plugging the screw hole and inflated it back up to see if the repair held. After a couple days of monitoring PSI she looks good. Now, I have a dash light for low pressure in the rear passenger, where I had the flat (happens to be where I put the spare). I know the pressure is right because I have checked it several times. The dealer told me I have the warning message because the system is still picking up the PSI from the original tire that is mounted in the spare position, but that makes no sense to me. Called a tire shop and they told me its because the spare doesn't have a sensor in it to read PSI so the computer is registering the last known number. Any information would be great, just trying to learn.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Add up total of the three working tires and divide by 4!
Sponsored